Released! Bunpro Grammar Explanations, N4

Hi guys!

Once again we are thrilled to be able to announce that the Bunpro grammar explanations (N4 edition) is now live!

In the same style as N5, we tried to keep a happy medium between traditional translations, and literal meanings as often as possible. We hope that this style of writing will continue to be something that is easy to understand, and helps to unravel some of the trickier grammar points!

Our main focus in N4 was starting to introduce some more of the Japanese names for different word types, and some of their grammatical relationships. This includes (but is not limited to) things like words that will usually be used to describe a certain grammar pattern in Japanese, so that you are able to get a better idea of how a Japanese person would learn that particular pattern.

We believe that this approach will allow us to delve just a little bit deeper into the Japanese side of grammar learning as we approach N3. Hopefully giving us a strong base of vocabulary and terms that will make learning higher level grammar patterns more approachable.

:calendar: What comes next? :calendar:

As promised, we will start working on N3 straight away, and hope to have it finished within the next 2 to 3 months at the latest. In addition to this, we will (probably sooner rather than later) start to introduce our own blog type posts that will tackle unique grammar concepts that we do not cover in our current lessons. This includes things like word types, natural sentence building, and many general terms/expressions that will make your life as a learner easier! Links to these blog posts will be added to each grammar point that they have relevance in, and potentially to their own โ€˜articleโ€™ search page, where you will be able to see everything.

:books: The N4 order rebuilt :books:

As with N5, we have massively changed the learning order of N4 (although this has not been implemented yet, give it a few days). Our writeups have been done with this order in mind, and we frequently make references to other grammar points that you will probably have recently learned (or will learn soon), if you are on the Bunpro grammar path. Donโ€™t worry though, as with N5, we have wrapped all of the grammar so that you are able to quickly jump to any grammar points that have been mentioned, but you are not sure about yet/learned a while ago.

Our main focus with this new order was to group similar things together, so that each progressive explanation can take advantage of the previous grammar point still being fresh in your mind. Allowing us to point out some important differences when they matter the most. So, without further ado.

N4 Lesson 1 (Ways of doing and being)

ใงใ‚‚ใ€ใ‚„ใ™ใ„ใ€ใซใใ„ใ€ใ ใ‚“ใ ใ‚“ใ€ใฉใ‚“ใฉใ‚“ใ€ใ‚‰ใ€ใฆใ„ใใ€ใฆใใ‚‹ใ€ใ‹ใŸใ€ใ ใ‘ใงใ€ใ ใŒใ€ใชใใฆ (conjunctions)ใ€ใชใใฆ (examples)ใ€ใชใ„ใงใ€Verb[passive]ใ€Transitive/Intransitiveใ€็›ดใ™ใ€ใจใ„ใ†ใ“ใจ

N4 Lesson 2 (When and how often)

ใจใใ€ใพใšใ€ใพใงใ€ใพใงใซใ€ใพใŸใ€ใฏใ˜ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใŠใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใ”ใ‚ใ€ใ‚ใจใงใ€ใฆใ„ใŸใ€ใซ (frequency)ใ€ใจใ†ใจใ†ใ€ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใ€ใ”ใจใซใ€ใชใ‚‹ในใใ€ใจใ“ใ‚ใ€ใฎใซ

N4 Lesson 3 (Seems like, Could be)

ใจใŠใ‚‚ใ†ใ€ใชใฉใ€ใฟใŸใ„ใ€ใ“ใจใ€ใใ†ใ€ใ•ใ€ใจใ‹๏ฝžใจใ‹ใ€ใใ†ใ„ใ†ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใ ใ€ใœใ‚“ใœใ‚“ใ€ใ‹ใชใ€ใ‚ใพใ‚Š๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใฐใ€ใชใ‚‰ใ€ใŒใ‚‹ใ€ใŒใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใŸใŒใ‚‹

N4 Lesson 4 (Do it like this, Did it like that)

ใ‹ใ‚‚ใ—ใ‚Œใชใ„ใ€ใฟใŸใ„ใซใ€ใใ†ใซใ€ใฎใ‚ˆใ†ใซใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใจๆ€ใ†ใ€ใซใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใจใ„ใ„ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใซใชใ‚‹ใ€ใพใ„๏ฝžใฎใ‚ˆใ†ใซใ€ใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใ„ใ‹ใ€ใ‚‰ใ—ใ„โ‘ ใ€ใฆใŠใใ€ใŒใปใ—ใ„ใ€ใฆใปใ—ใ„ใ€ใจ่žใ„ใŸใ€่žใ“ใˆใ‚‹ใ€่ฆ‹ใˆใ‚‹ใ€ใ ใ™

N4 Lesson 5 (Amounts/Counting)

๏ฝžไปฃใ€Number + ใ‚‚ใ€ใปใจใ‚“ใฉใ€ใใ‚“ใชใ€ๅ„ใ€ไปฅไธŠใ€ไปฅไธ‹ใ€ไปฅๅค–ใ€ใšใฃใจใ€ใ ใ„ใŸใ„ใ€ใฎใชใ‹ใงใ€Number/Amount + ใฏใ€ใชใ‚“ + Counterใ€ใพ๏ผˆใฃ๏ผ‰ใ€Number + ใ—ใ‹๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€๏ฝžใฏ๏ฝžใฎไธ€ใคใ ใ€๏ฝžใชใ„๏ฝžใฏใชใ„ใ€ใ™ใ“ใ—ใ‚‚๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใ™ใใชใใชใ„ใ€ใ•

N4 Lesson 6 (ใฆ the day away)

ๅ ดๅˆใฏใ€Verb๏ผปใฆ๏ผฝ(and so)ใ€ใฆใ‚ˆใ‹ใฃใŸใ€Verb[causative]ใ€ใจใ„ใฃใฆใ‚‚ใ„ใ„ใ€ใฆใ‚‚ใ€ใฆใ—ใพใ†ใ€Verb๏ผปใฆ๏ผฝ(non-sequence)ใ€Verb[causative passive]ใ€Verb๏ผปใฆ๏ผฝ(by)ใ€ใฆใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใซ๏ฝžใฆใปใ—ใ„ใ€ใฆใ„ใ‚‹้–“ใซใ€ใชใใฆใ‚‚ใ„ใ„ใ€ใฆใฟใ‚‹ใ€ใฆใ™ใฟใพใ›ใ‚“

N4 Lesson 7 (Let's get polite)

ใฆใ‚ใ’ใ‚‹ใ€ใฆใใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ€ใฆใ‚‚ใ‚‰ใ†ใ€ใชใ•ใ„ใ€Verb๏ผปใฆ๏ผฝ(please do)ใ€Verb๏ผปใชใ„ใง๏ผฝใ€ใฆใใ‚Œใฆใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ€ใฆใใ‚Œใชใ„ใ€ใฎใ ใ‚ใ†ใ‹ใ€ใŠ๏ฝžใซใชใ‚‹ใ€ใชใ•ใ‚‹ใ€ใŠ๏ฝžใใ ใ•ใ„ใ€ใ„ใ‚‰ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ‚‹ใ€ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™ใ€ใงใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™ใ€ใŠ๏ฝžใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใ„ใŸใ™ใ€ใฆใ„ใŸใ ใ‘ใพใ›ใ‚“ใ‹

N4 Lesson 8 (Possibility vs Necessity)

ใŸใ‚‰ใ€ใปใ‹ใซ๏ผˆใ‚‚๏ผ‰ใ€ใŒใฒใคใ‚ˆใ†ใ€ใใ‚“ใชใซใ€ใฒใคใ‚ˆใ†ใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใŸใจใˆใฐใ€Verb๏ผปPotential๏ผฝใ€ใ‚“ใ ใ‘ใฉใ€ใฏใšใ ใ€ใ‹ใฉใ†ใ‹ใ€ใจใ€ใชใ„ใจใ€ใฏใšใŒใชใ„ใ€ใ—ใ‹๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใ ใ‘ใงใชใใ€ใ“ใจใŒใงใใ‚‹ใ€ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใ‚‚ใ—

N4 Lesson 9 (Do it like this, Did it like that - Advanced)

ใ—๏ฝžใ—ใ€ใงใงใใ‚‹ใ€ใชใŒใ‚‰ใ€ใŸใจใ“ใ‚ใ€ใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใ‚ใ€ใจ๏ฝžใจ ใฉใกใ‚‰ใŒใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใซใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใชใ‘ใ‚Œใฐใ„ใ‘ใชใ„ใ€ใชใ‘ใ‚Œใฐใชใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ€ใคใฅใ‘ใ‚‹ใ€ใ ใ™ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใซใ„ใ†ใ€ไบˆๅฎšใ ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใซใ„ใฎใ‚‹ใ€ใŸใฐใ‹ใ‚Šใ€ๅŒ–ใ™ใ‚‹

N4 Lesson 10 (Seems like, Could be - Advanced)

ใ‚ˆใ†ใซ (as/like)ใ€ใ‹ใ—ใ‚‰ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใซ (so that)ใ€ใ‚‰ใ—ใ„โ‘กใ€ใซใฟใˆใ‚‹ใ€ใจใฟใˆใ‚‹ใ€้ขจใ€ใŒใฟใ‚‰ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ€ใซใใŒใคใใ€๏ฝžใงใ‚‚๏ฝžใงใ‚‚ใ€ใใ‚Œใซใ€ใใ‚Œใงใ€Question phrase + ใ‹ใ€ใใ‚Œใงใ‚‚ใ€ใฐใ‚ˆใ‹ใฃใŸใ€ใŸใ‚‰ใฉใ†ใ€ใจ่€ƒใˆใ‚‰ใ‚Œใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ€ใจใ•ใ‚Œใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ€ใจใ„ใ‚ใ‚Œใฆใ„ใ‚‹

We hope that this new order turns out to be far more logical, and will help new users that are going through the path for the first time, and perhaps even give long-time users incentive to go back and see if they find anything that is new and interesting!

Thatโ€™s all for today, and I hope you all enjoy the writeups! :sunglasses:

Note - We will continue to do quality checking of the sentences/explanations/formatting etc over the next few days, so if you see a glaring error, donโ€™t worry too much about sending reports before this coming Monday (at which point we may have just missed the error and would love for you to send us a report! :sweat_smile:)

As always, thank you all so much for your ongoing support, and we will continue to do our best to make Bunpro the best it can possibly be! :partying_face:

90 Likes

Congratulations for all this work to all the bunpro team! :clap: Knowing the grammar terms and concepts in Japanese is a great step forward I think. I am happy you are progressively adding them in the lessons. This may help to make link between grammar points and structures, which is a good point for memorizing and understanding how stuff works. :brain:

12 Likes

Oh yeah, this is what Iโ€™ve been waiting for. Thanks a lot!
It was only with the explanations that I understood some N5 grammar points correctly.

13 Likes

N4 learner here, looking forward to reading the new explanations. The N5 ones Iโ€™ve seen so far are superior! Iโ€™ll even forgive you any lost lesson stamps I incur!

6 Likes

This gives me a good reason to go back, brush up on that grammar, and go a bit more in-depth. Thank you!

6 Likes

Thanks a lot! I was holding on doing more N4 lessons as much as possible since I knew this was coming up soon.

Finally time to finish those N4 lessons.

7 Likes

This is fantastic. You just took this from great to amazing!

5 Likes

This is amazing, thank you so much! I literally started N4 lessons yesterday, so the timing couldnโ€™t be better. :smiley_cat:

10 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Love the new explanations. I havent been doing as many lessons in anticipation of this update and Im looking forward to going through them all :+1:

4 Likes

HUGE DUDE! I saw all the N5 stuff and I was salivating at having write ups built in to read. Hopefully yโ€™all outpace me to N3.

ใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†ใ”ใ–ใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚

5 Likes

I actually just finished going through all of N5 just to read the write ups, and they are fantastic. Even though Iโ€™ve gone through N4 as well, Iโ€™m hyped about revisiting them for a deeper understanding.

Reading grammar write-ups is probably the last thing that anyone would analogize as โ€œa kid in a candy storeโ€. But thatโ€™s exactly what it feels like. Wish I had this much enthusiasm about school back in the day, I might have actually completed my Computer Science degree, lol.

10 Likes

These are excellent to the point of making me agonize over whether I should slow/stop learning new grammar points to wait for the Grammar Explanation update for N3 (I am towards the end of N4).

4 Likes

Iโ€™ve been redoing N4 recently just to iron out some cracks, so looking forward to utilising these along the way!

4 Likes

YES!! Iโ€™ve been so excited for these!

4 Likes

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 09-03-35 Bunpro Dashboard Japanese Grammar SRS
What a time to level up :sob::joy:

Loved the handful I got to study with though they were really helpful!

8 Likes

well done! if youโ€™re like me with the N5 changes, youโ€™ll see them on the ghosts :wink: :ghost:

2 Likes

Iโ€™ve โ€˜lostโ€™ two N4 lesson stamps :sob: :sob:

(yeah I know Iโ€™ve not technically lost anything but itโ€™s such a nice moment when you get one!)

2 Likes

Great job on the new grammar explanations, really useful. Especially the compare and contrast aspects.

4 Likes

Iโ€™m not sure if this is a good place to mention this, but I noticed the N4 grammar order still doesnโ€™t match up with the reorder mentioned above. It looks like Lessons 1 and 2 match up, but after that theyโ€™re in a different order (I think itโ€™s still the old order from before the new N4 explanations)

for example hereโ€™s what Lesson 7 says

And hereโ€™s what I see

Some points match up (e.g., ใฆใใ‚Œใชใ„) but most do not, and the lesson 7 points are still scattered across other lessons

I know yโ€™all are working on a lot of other stuff so itโ€™s ok if itโ€™s not updated asap, but I havenโ€™t seen anyone else mention it so I figured Iโ€™d let yโ€™all know. Looking forward to the N3 explanations!!

3 Likes