Reviews 2.0, and a whole lot more! [Beta]

Third round of Vocab fixes babyyyyy

Fixes

• Replace all instances of Cloze placeholder inside of Summary sentences
    • Fixed bugged display of some questions that had multiple instances of the answer inside the question (think とか、たり etc.)
    • @amph1ptere
  • Fixed how info displays when Auto-Expand is On for Flashcards
  • Added check for explicit wrong answers before checking correctness
    • There are instances where our typo detection will think an answer is correct, even when it definitely should be incorrect
      • E.g. Typing “reserved seat” instead of the actual answer “unreserved seat” will lead to the system thinking you’re correct, but just made a typo
    • Now we’ve added the ability to specifiy explicitly incorrect answers so this doesn’t happen
    • If you see any more instances of this, please let us know in the Feedback and we’ll add in the explicitly incorrect answers
    • Thanks to @Rukifellth for pointing this out
  • Fixed issue where words with Katakana input with the long vowel sound 「ー」were not able to be input in Katakana
  • Learn batch size displaying incorrectly
    • E.g. would display the amount of items in that JLPT level regardless of the batch size set in settings
    • @MC_2018 @Sidgr
  • Fixed issue where going to Reviews with a Deck from the Decks screen returns items that haven’t been learnt yet
  • Adding Custom Study Questions will now instantly update the review count in the navbar
  • Fix issue where clicking Hard twice doesn’t go to the next question for Flashcard questions
  • Various minor design tweaks and internal refactors

Up Next

• Revamp the Alternate Answer system for Vocab
  • Add “Add to Reviews” / Review updating functionality to the Furigana tooltip
  • Add Bug Report feature for Custom Study Questions
    • This should help me debug issues with these questions @Ponpoko
  • Dashboard 2.0

Thanks as always for helping us test our app.
If you have any feedback, or think I’ve forgotten something, please let me know here.

7 Likes

Just bumping this cause i’m still having this issue :grimacing:

1 Like

YES!!!

2 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked recently or this is the wrong place to ask but do you guys already know when we will be able to save cram lists and if it will be before the JLPT in summer?

I’m practicing for the JLPT right know and would love to use BunPro to strentghen the concepts I learned via my textbook but it’s a little bit tedious to search for the grammar points every time and would consume a lot of time over the next months.

2 Likes

Hi there. It’s something we’re meaning to implement, but not something we have a time frame for unfortunately!

2 Likes

Sorry about this.
I’ll take a look!

1 Like

Im learning new vocab from the Genki I 3rd Edition deck- the quiz is doing manual fill-in instead of the flashcard mode, which is the setting i have turned on for this deck

1 Like

I don’t use flashcard style, but maybe the first time you see it you’ll have to fill it in? check again after the first round and if it still requires you to type it in, click the option “set all cards to this style” in the deck menu.

I’m really disliking the update I’m seeing today with the hint appearing automatically for every review:

The old functionality worked great

4 Likes

Hi there,

We’re planning on making an announcement about this soon, there is a big feature on its way!

Essentially the order of Translation & Hint has switched, so now the Hint comes before the translation of the sentence.

It will make sense why after we make the announcement

3 Likes

yeah, I like having English there, but hate having the hint.

4 Likes

I believe the hint should come first, because the english can and does give the answer away, whereas the hint just pushes you in the right direction of which grammar form to use. personally, the less english traslation, the better.

3 Likes

I like!
I am so accustomed to clicking ‘more’ and now I don’t have to, just gotta train myself out of clicking on the screen automatically. Even with the hint a lot of the time I struggle to work out what it wants from me, so I always make it show. More experience with the system (and Japanese) I probably won’t need to rely on it so much.

3 Likes

Um, I think this messed up vocab reviews? It showed the answers before I even typed anything (I was using the old system, but I guess I’m forced to switch now)

1 Like

Could your send us a screenshot of what you are seeing please?

It looks like this when you start the reviews and when you move to the next one, without doing anything. I switched to Reviews 2.0 and it was fine there.

2 Likes

and for me, I feel the opposite. I feel like the hint gives it away too too much for me, while the English is just nice.

I guess it’d be nice if there would be a way to choose what shows up first or at all, hint and/or English.

3 Likes

Will there be an option to use the old functionality? I dislike this so much that it’s making me second guess using Bunpro entirely and I’ve been using it for quite a while now. I wish I was exaggerating. Like @okayfrog said above, the hint gives away way too much context.

1 Like

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the way you roll out updates. Especially how with big changes you have an extended beta where you take into account user recommendations and feedback instead of just dropping major changes out of nowhere.

4 Likes

@okayfrog @Rukifellth @Kellamity

Hey guys! Thanks for all the feedback.
At the moment we’re absorbing and processing it all, both here and on the main thread.

Once we’ve given it a wee bit more time, we’ll make a decision about what to do with it all.