if

Structure

• Verb + 以上(は)
  • Verb[ ] + 以上(は)
  • Noun・である + 以上(は)
  • なAdj・である + 以上(は)
  • A 以上(は) 、B → B is because of A

[Mostly found in literature; seldom used in spoken language]
[Words like しか~ない, つもり、たい、ことだ、べきだ、はずだ、ほうがいい、なければいけない、てください are often used with B]

View on Bunpro

I noticed the other version of 以上 is in hiragana but all the example sentences use Kanji. Would it be possibly to clarify which is more appropriate?

It also might be worth naming it 以上① and 以上② as other grammar points use numbers to distinguish different similar grammar?

(P.S. The DIJM grammar page is 64 for ‘since’ 以上)

@Ambo100 Hey! The first 以上 was originally displayed in hiragana to make it more accessible to new users. I have changed the 以上s to be 以上① and 以上②. We are working on getting all of the page numbers of DIJG and DAJG onto the site and will push them once allocated. Cheers!

1 Like

Is the usage of this with い-adjectives correct? I was taught in my class that we can’t use 以上②. Is this correct? I showed her the one example in the explanation section and she said it seemed strange. She tried to look up the grammar point in her own resources and couldn’t find anything showing it was ok except maybe when ない is used.

You’re right. 以上は only follows verbs (plain form) or 〜である.

The books A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar are very useful fo checking on points like this.