Suggestion: Context Sentences

I’m assuming you mean the contextual descriptions in greenish font, yeah? I really like that! I think that approach might solve a lot of the problems around which politeness level and which form to use without dumbing it down or ‘giving away’ the answer. That’s a really clever solution!

2 Likes

I’m with @monkeytunes, this is great. I like that you kept both the English and Japanese for added reading fun. I see people complained about not having enough context so this should help along with not having to be literal with polite/casual context (nice idea).

However, a word about the color. Probably in the minority but I’ve gone back to the Classic theme; namely because the dark theme didn’t haven enough contrast on the app and the white is just not for me. BTW, to @Rion, changing the theme has helped my eyes alot for richer contrast on the app (but any larger font is still appreciated). Plus I began to like the nostalgic bamboo with bright greens/reds again.

Back to the color, it matches the background a bit too much for the classic view IMO and have trouble with busier kanji from a distance (particular on the app which I know may change after iOS 13 ) :

Classic

Compared to the others:

Modern Dark

Modern

3 Likes

If it is what the two above thought it was about, I think it is a really good idea. Because beyond what casual, formal, etc. was suggestion, this actually shows you contexts of when what is used by whom (when it comes to formality). (I hope I got that English right, haha.)

Although it might be good to add an article (or link to one) somewhere so people can look up when to use what politeness levels. Aka, if you study Japanese too isolated you wouldn’t know that superiors talk more casually to their subordinates while those subordinates are expected to speak politely back. (This is in fact something my mind does not think of naturally, meaning if my Japanese teachers speak casually to me, my brain automatically assumes I can speak casually back, but nope, that isn’t how it works. But back home in Sweden that is kinda how it works. Everyone speaks with the same casual/politeness level. So if the boss speaks casually, then you can too, basically.)

2 Likes

Yeah this is cool. I like it.

2 Likes

I don’t think I know what everyone is talking about, could someone screenshot it?

1 Like

These are the introduction contextual sentences before the grammar point sentence. It gives us a situation to determine the correct politeness level among other things. See my last post with the greenish text in the beginning.

3 Likes

I think it’s brilliant, providing exactly the scenario that was in mind for the grammar being used, rather than having the user read the whole sentence and retroactively imagine what the context might possibly be.

I guess the next step would be to see which grammar points could also benefit from this type of context, because if this is the only grammar point using these clues, we’ll just answer さあ whenever we see one :laughing:

6 Likes

Ah it seems that being in dark mode changes green to yellow. That must have been the confusion

1 Like

「we’ll just answer さあ whenever」

That’s where I live. I already just say 「さあ~」with Japanese speakers if I have no idea what they’re talking about but don’t want them to know that.

1 Like