訓:の、これ、ゆく、この
音:し
英:of, this

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
My 楷書 version of this is awful. I keep trying to get that angle right, but it doesn’t seem to come out right. Anyone else fancy a try?

6 Likes

I always have problems with writing kanji with stokes that are shaped like acute angles, like 糸. They never seem to come out right!

3 Likes

之!

6 Likes

Alright, let’s give that a go!

3 Likes

Better than mine.

2 Likes

2023年11月30日

訓:いと
音:し
英:thread

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
OK, so this is really interesting. We know that 糸 is a combination of 幺 and 小, but until today, I never realised that the 草書 version would change from top-bottom to left-right.

7 Likes

I wonder if this is the case for all Kanji that use 糸 as part of it’s construction, like 緑, or if the 草書 version would be written out top-bottom again. Excellent work today!

3 Likes

I’ll give this a go tomorrow. Already finished today’s character.

2 Likes

2023年12月1日(金)

音:かい
英:square character style, correctness

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I thought it would be appropriate to do one that is very much related to calligraphy for once!

6 Likes

I really enjoy drawing 陰 for some reason:

e

6 Likes

Funnily enough, I went through a stage of loving writing this one too - when I was at university.

3 Likes

2023年12月2日(土)

訓:みどり
音:りょく、ろく
英:green

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I love the 草書 version, where the ヨ blends into the 水.

8 Likes

As ever so nice! いつもありがとうございます。

It is remarkable how the 草書 version of ‘’ by itself is more elaborate that when it is part of another kanji, as can be seen in ‘’. It ends up being like a lowercase ‘z’, somehow reversing the original flow of ‘’.

良い週末を

4 Likes

Very interesting to see how it turned out. It seems the 草書 versions of Kanji aren’t based around the specific radicals, but more-so on the entire Kanji itself (as far as I can tell, that is). This makes more sense from a writing standpoint, it just seems like it would be harder to memorize.

お疲れ様でした!

4 Likes

@TehFlashBang you’re half right. While it’s true that 草書 radicals blend into one another, there still are certain strict rules that must be followed when writing it. I’m nowhere near an expert, so I can’t explain the rules to you, but they absolutely do exist.

2 Likes

2023年12月3日(日)

訓:ひと-、ひと.つ
音:いち、いつ
英:one

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
You might think that I’ve done one of the only two one-stroke kanji today because I’m on a lazy day, but actually, I wanted to emphasise the fact that 一 is not just a horizontal line - it’s slightly curved.

7 Likes

What’s the other one stroke kanji? I can’t think of any.

1 Like

I was wondering the same and found this and this. The last one, though not apparent, I knew from 乙女.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest doing 一 as a joke, mainly because I wanted to see how a straight line could be written in cursive.

:open_mouth: I still have so much to learn about kanji!

3 Likes

This is 100% Correct. You do sometimes see 龍, I’m seeing right now with all the “year of the dragon” newyears cards.

1 Like