本日の文字 - Today's Character

2023年9月21日(木)

訓:さかな・うお
音:ぎょ
英:fish

書き順

楷書

メモ
I’m not taking any calligraphy classes, but I have been practicing writing kanji in my spare time using a custom Anki deck. I had no idea about the cursive method, looks crazy! I recently ate a tasty fish, so I guess this kanji popped into my head.

5 Likes

@davebp
From my very limited knowledge, the stroke orders remain pretty much the same in 楷書 and 行書, with there obviously being fewer strokes in the latter, since it’s connected. As for 草書, the stroke order definitely varies a lot, but I’m far from an expert in this so I can’t tell you much more than that. My calligraphy teacher often tells me how to write radicals in 草書, but I’m still no good with balancing them or connecting them to each other. I hope this at least partially answers your question.

@Pablunpro
Thank you! Yes, I have also been particularly interested in 草書 recently. I think it’s really beautiful and I wish I could read more of it. You’re actually the first person to give me any ideas, so 三, 日 and 森 are on my list for tomorrow, the day after and the day after that!

@theusaf
Wow! Thank you so much for contributing! I’m so happy to see others joining in with my hobby. I think your calligraphy is really good and I doubt I’ll be able to do any better, but it’s on my list for the 26th!

3 Likes

2023年9月22日(金)

訓:-
音:おう、-のう
英:king, rule, magnate

書き順

楷書
IMG-7159

行書

草書

メモ
I really like this kanji, despite its simplicity.

8 Likes

2023年9月22日(金)

訓:かね・かな
音:きん・こん
英:gold, money

書き順

楷書

メモ
きょうは金ようびだから「金」をかいて行います。

3 Likes

2023年9月23日(土)

訓:み、み.つ、みっ.つ
音:さん、そう
英:three

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I actually had a bit of trouble with this one, since all three styles look really similar, and I was surprised that there was no joining up involved.

5 Likes

One Kanji I always wright when I am testing a pen is 漆 I am not sure why, but there is just something to the way that it is written that is ASMR to me.

1 Like

Indeed! 驚いたね! I was expecting just the same from the 草書 version, in the line of (which I really liked, BTW).

この漢字を書いてくれて嬉しかったです。ありがとうございます。

1 Like

@Sidgr I hardly ever write that one! It’s on the list for next week!

@Pablunpro I was out today and noticed this place, that’s only just opened. So I suppose the joined version is also valid.

6 Likes

そうです、ありがとうございます。

So it seems that there is a certain freedom of expression, as it should be.

BTW, I see that 三つ葉葵みつばあおい is the name of the Tokugawa clan family crest, which is cleverly implied in the noodle shop logo.

3 Likes

2023年9月24日(日)

訓:ひ、-び、-か
音:にち、じつ
英:day, sun, Japan, counter for days

書き順

楷書
IMG-7180

行書

草書

メモ
A simple character, and therefore easy to read in any style.

4 Likes

2023年9月25日(月)

訓:もり
音:しん
英:forest, woods

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
This is a fun one to draw, with 木 written in different ways across all the calligraphy styles.

6 Likes

2023年9月26日(火)

訓:うお、さかな、-ざかな
音:ぎょ
英:fish

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

This is quite a challenging one, and I’ve definitely not got the cursive styles anywhere near right yet, but it’s a beautiful character. I quite like the kanji that represent individual fish, so I might try some of those in the near future.

6 Likes

2023年9月27日(水)

訓:うま、うま-、ま
音:ば
英:horse

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
This one is pretty frustrating, since the standard print has ten strokes and the cursive has… 1…

7 Likes

上手い!

This particular kanji could show how we might have come from logograms to letters. The cursive horse could be the letter ‘z’!

4 Likes

2023年9月28日(木)

音:りん
英:Chinese unicorn, genius, giraffe, bright, shining

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
OK, so I decided I’d go for a bit of a challenging one today, which means I’ve probably got both cursive styles totally wrong. Anyway, I thought I’d give it a go. Enjoy!

8 Likes

This post was from a while back, but this little fact was news to me. Do you know where I could get more info about this?

Also, this thread has been my introduction to the cursive style. Crazy. Thanks for doing it!

3 Likes

I personally have a big book and there are many of them available on Amazon, but this site is also pretty comprehensive, showing many different styles. Please take a look!

5 Likes

Cool, I’ll take a look! Thanks!

4 Likes

2023年9月29日(金)

訓:おし.える、おそ.わる
音:きょう
英:teach, faith, doctrine

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I’ve just been out with some of my ex-students (教え子), so I thought I’d give this one a go!

5 Likes

2023年9月30日(土)

訓:しら.べる
音:けん
英:examination, investigate

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
It’s the day of the English proficiency test (英検) in Japan today, so I decided to give this one a go!

編集
EDIT: For both cursive styles, I accidentally uploaded yesterday’s character. I’ve fixed it now.

6 Likes