訓:おのれ、つちのと、な
音:こ、き
英:self

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I’ve been really busy today and I got home pretty late, hence me deciding to do a simple one for today. However, I genuinely really like the shape of this one.

8 Likes

マットさん、いつもお疲れ様〜! :blush: このスレッド凄く面白くて見るの楽しい!

6 Likes

気になってくれて本当にありがとうよ!
特に好きな文字があったら言ってね!挑戦したい!

4 Likes

私の名前にある「暖(だん・あたたかい)」っていう漢字が気になる〜! :face_with_monocle:
難しいと思うけど、時間があったら挑戦してみて欲しいです! :laughing:

3 Likes

おっけー
リストに書いとくねぇ!
明日挑戦する!

3 Likes

2023年10月2日(月)

訓:うるし
音:しつ
英:lacquer, varnish, seven

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I should have done this one last week as it was requested, so apologies for forgetting. I love this character, but regularly get the サンズイ part wrong, especially in the cursive styles.

6 Likes

わーい!楽しみにしてる〜! :laughing:

2 Likes

2023年10月3日(火)

訓:あたた.か、あたた.かい、あたた.まる、あたた.める、
音:だん、のん
英:warmth

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
As per yesterday’s request. I found the right-hand part especially difficult to balance, but I had a good go at it!

9 Likes

わぁ〜!!暖だ、ありがとう〜〜!! :laughing: :sparkling_heart: たしかに、バランスをとるの凄く難しいよね!!

4 Likes

2023年10月4日(水)

訓:なぎ、な.ぐ
英:lull, calm

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
Feeling nice and calm tonight so I thought I’d write this one. Not one that you see very often but beautifully simple. Goodnight!

7 Likes

Really nice one, stop under a table, didn’t know it. Thank you and good night!

2 Likes

I do daily kanji writing practice using an anki deck (I’m prompted with the meaning of a kanji and I have to remember how it’s drawn), here’s some of today’s batch:

I strive to respect the stroke order but I know that my proportions are all over the place. My main drive is less to have good Japanese handwriting and more to thoroughly memorize the various components of a kanji and more easily tell similar looking ones apart.

7 Likes

Fantastic! I used to have loads of these! :rofl:
My proportions are all over the place, too. I’ve obviously become much better since I’ve been taking calligraphy classes, but even now, five years on, I still make basic errors all the time.

2 Likes

Oops, I did all my preparation yesterday and forgot to post. Oh well, it’s still Thursday somewhere in the world!

2023年10月5日(木)

音:ざい
英:lumber, log, timber, wood, materials, ingredients, talent

書き順

楷書
IMG-7301

行書

草書

メモ
Unusually for a Japanese character, this only has one reading and yet so many meanings.

8 Likes

Yep! It’s Thursday night on the US east coast as I type this!

4 Likes

That’ll do!

1 Like

2023年10月6日(金)

訓:とま.える
音:しょう
英:chant, recite, call upon, yell

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
The 楷書 version of this character perfectly illustrates the point I make today. Notice the bottom right-hand corner or each radical. On 口, the bottom horizontal line sticks out, but on 日, the vertical one does. Don’t ask me why, but the basic rule is that the bottom right sticks out horizontally on 口 and vertically on any other square- or rectangle-shaped radical.

8 Likes

Oh how I love 草書! Besides, this is one of the first kanjis I ever learned, as it was “made up” of 口 and 日. 懐かしいねぇ…

This kanji brought back to my mind another kanji I found whilst exploring how loose you can make the strokes in . I mean, if all the strokes have to touch one another. I found this kanji: , which looks very much the same as but is in fact a totally different one.

So dot your i’s and cross your t’s. You never know what you are actually writing! :wink:

7 Likes

You’re absolutely right about 日 and 曰, but I often find that when I’m scribbling something down, I will make that error. However, while it is technically an error, I have literally never seen 曰 (いわく) in any situation other than when it’s being explained to me that it’s different to 日. I actually just checked my calligraphy book and it isn’t even listed, making me think that it’s probably hardly used in modern times at all.

Me too. It’s so beautiful. I just wish I could understand the strokes better than I currently do…

7 Likes

Funnily enough, I’m reading a light novel at the moment that uses 曰く quite a lot. Particularly stuff like:

マットさんは曰く、「曰く」という言葉はこの時代に滅多に見えない事に関して語っていました。

But come to think of it I haven’t seen it used elsewhere very much either.

Also as a side note I love looking at these posts. I’m terrible with kanji so it’s a great way for me to take a deeper dive and memorize them a bit easier. I even had a conversation with my teacher about 草書体 last week because I thought it was so interesting.

Keep up the great work!

(Novel is 魔女の旅々 btw for anyone curious!)

6 Likes