本日の文字 - Today's Character

It refers to which era/type of reading, and in particular the 音読み came over to Japan. There are generally three categories:

呉音→Goon (呉 refers to Wu region of China ~500 to ~600)

• Primarily old Buddhist and a few Confucius writings. These are also the oldest readings for kanji. Really it’s anything that made it over before the major expeditions. There are somewhat systematic and you generally see how the sounds shifted from these to the 漢音 counterparts.

漢音→Kanon (漢 refers to China as a whole - 607 to 838)

• These are the bulk of 音読み and were developed during the Tang Dynasty when many Japanese missions were made to learn from Chinese culture. These are relatively systematic in Japanese and the 音分 of a kanji usually refer to this reading.

唐(宋)音→Touon/Souonn Tousouonn (唐 Refers to the Tang Dynasty and 宋 to the Song - 618-907 AD)

• They are much rarer but they do exist and tend to be specialized words that entered from later borrowing from Chinese. These are piecemeal and do not have a general systematic framework some of the bane of early Japanese learners are words that come from these readings.

Compare these three words that all use 行:

• 書(ぎょうしょ) - Semi - Cursive (Inline writing); A specialized word referring to how the Buddhists learned to transcribe the texts they were reading, and now is a form of cursive.
  • (りょこう) - Travel; A general word that is common place with no particular nuance.
  • 灯(あんどん) - Paper Lantern; A specialized term or a word referring to a cultural artifact of Tang dynasty China.

There is certainly more, but hopefully this is a good starting place for the people of this thread and forum.

8 Likes

Exhibit #5983 for why using roumaji to learn Japanese is a bad idea!

For completeness’s sake there’s also 慣用音:

Kan’yō-on (慣用音, “customary sound”) readings, which are mistaken or changed readings of the kanji that have become accepted into the Japanese language. In some cases, they are the actual readings that accompanied the character’s introduction to Japan but do not match how the character “should” (is prescribed to) be read according to the rules of character construction and pronunciation.

And then when you get to kunyomi, all hell breaks lose.

It’s a fascinating system really. Completely insane, but fascinating.

I wonder how long this system will survive. The longer it goes the less practical it becomes because of sound and semantic shifts as well as the massive influx of non-chinese loanwords that’s written in kana (mostly English of course). I wonder if Japanese will go the way of Korean and Vietnamese within a century or two.

6 Likes

@simias Did you write that? I love the 弓 part, but whenever I try to write 瓜, it always looks as though a 5-year-old child has tried to write it, so well done - that may well be my next project!

@Sidgr I read it, but I might have to read it again in the morning! Thanks for the info!

6 Likes

I did. You will notice that the picture is aggressively cropped. That’s absolutely not because I had a dozen other attempts next to it before I got one I felt looked decent.

3 Likes

2023年10月13日(金)

訓:め-、めす、めん
音:し
英:feminine, female

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
This is probably my worst attempt yet, but I gave it a go!

8 Likes

Fantastic! However much you crop, please join in as much as you want to!! You’re very talented!

5 Likes

2023年10月14日(土)

訓:お-、おす、おん
音:ゆう
英:masculine, male, hero, leader, superiority, excellence

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
This one was also really difficult. You see this one used in a lot of male names.

10 Likes

2023年10月13日(金)

訓:
音:かん
英:perfect, completion, end

書き順

楷書

メモ

5 Likes

Full kana メモ in a kanji thread? Bold.

EDIT: also, shouldn’t it be 長い時間で? Why 長く here?

4 Likes

Really struggling with 襲, it’s so dense:

4 Likes

Full kana メモ in a kanji thread? Bold.

I’m limiting the kanji I use in the メモ to what has been posted in this thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: also, shouldn’t it be 長い時間で? Why 長く here?

You’re right. I think I might have been thinking of two different sentence structures and combined the two.

4 Likes

Ooh, interesting constraint!

3 Likes

Not a kanji thread, a Japanese character thread. I intend to do kana as well at some point. Does anyone have any favourite kana they want me to try? I’m a fan of か personally…

Yeah, I think a pen with a finer nib is generally ideal for characters with a large number of strokes. Anyway, you’ve inspired me, so I’ll do that one today.

2 Likes

2023年10月15日(日)

訓:おそ.う、かさ.ね
音:しゅう
英:attack, advance on, succeed to, pile, heap

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
From 22 strokes in standard script, right down to 5 in cursive style, this character is really interesting when studying the various writing styles.

11 Likes

Official objective choice:

Best hiragana: ぬ (so loopy)
Worst hiragana: ほ (just a worse は)

Best katakana: カ
Worst katakana: literally everything else

4 Likes

I’d say that the シツンソ quartet are the worse. I can differentiate ン fromソ most of the time, but シandツ? Almost never. And, yes, I’ve read about ways to remember how to differentiate but I can never seem to remember that either.

5 Likes

It’s especially hard when it’s an unfamiliar font and you don’t have both characters in the text to contrast them. I’ve had this issue a lot in videogames that use a “quirky” font, especially for made-up names where you often can’t guess what the character should be from context.

4 Likes

Do you derive the 行書 and 草書 yourself based on the individual components or do you have a reference?

Also thank god we live in the age of digital media and we don’t have to deal with handwritten cursive kanji on a regular basis… I genuinely can’t recognize 90% of the 行書 in this thread, and the 草書 may as well be abstract art.

2 Likes

While it’s really tempting to lie and say that I know all the cursive radicals by heart and know how to connect them all up… the sad truth is that I have a book…

5 Likes

2023年10月16日(月)

訓:ねむ.る、ねむ.い
音:みん
英:sleep, die, sleepy

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I just got home from work feeling really sleepy, so this one popped into my head!

6 Likes