本日の文字 - Today's Character

To finish with 襲, I just realized that the top part is 龍, the kyujitai form of 竜 (dragon).

So basically the Japanese people in their infinite wisdom decided to use a simplified form for 龍 but then kept the more complicated version for use as a component of other kanji.

Sometimes I feel like they’re trying to overcomplicate kanji on purpose.

4 Likes

2023年10月17日(火)

訓:た
音:でん
英:rice field, rice paddy

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
A fairly neutral character that most learners know. Possibly the most used among Japanese surnames, but I can’t be sure of that.

8 Likes

Quite so! I was expecting the 草書 version to be totally different, took me by surprise.

3 Likes

The simpler ones generally look very similar in any style.

3 Likes

2023年10月18日(水)

訓:とらわ.れる
音:しゅう
英:captured, criminal, arrest, catch

書き順

楷書
IMG-7390

行書

草書

メモ
I have no idea why this one randomly popped into my head today, but since it did, I will use it as an excuse to explain the stroke order - literally one of the first things I ever learned about kanji - if something’s gonna go inside, then you need to let it in before you close the box! In characters like this, the final stroke closes the box and seals in whatever you put in there!

9 Likes

2023年10月19日

訓:さが
音:せい、しょう
英:sex, gender, nature

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I really enjoy writing 心編, but I always seem to get the right-hand side of this character wrong…

7 Likes

I dislike this kanji because I regularly confuse it with 情.

2 Likes

I always struggle to get the proportions of 及 right:

4/10 kanji tbh

7 Likes

I struggle with that one, too…
I think you did a pretty good job!

4 Likes

訓:すく.ない、すこ.し
音:しょう
英:few, little

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
A wonderfully simple character, which is strangely satisfying to write.

8 Likes

Indeed!

It is really fascinating! It looks like a sequence, the 4-stroke 楷書 version dissolving into the 2-stroke 草書 one.

You draw them beautifully, from the neat 楷書 version (smilin’ face) to the graceful flow on the cursive rendering. Nicely done!

3 Likes

BTW, I was doing my kanji practice today and showed up. この漢字を書いてもらえませんか。

1 Like

OK, 回 is on the list for tomorrow.

2 Likes

Not sure how it works, would it be possible to apply 草書 to へのへのもへじ?
7629d1ac17790f2b90c88ed2d450963f_t

3 Likes

2023年10月21日

訓:まわ.る、-まわ.る、まわ-り、まわ.す、-まわ.す、まわ.し-、-まわ.し、もとお.る、か.える
音:かい、え
英:-times, round, game, revolve, counter for occurrences

書き順

楷書
IMG-7412

行書

草書

メモ
As per yesterday’s request!

7 Likes

@matt_in_mito さん、とてもありがとうございます。

I was really curious about the cursive version. やっぱりでした, if the expression is properly used in this instance.

良い週末を

2 Likes

2023年10月22日(日)

訓:つじ
英:crossing, crossroad, street corners](辻 #kanji - Jisho.org)

書き順

楷書
IMG-7416

行書

草書

メモ
This is a ‘kokuji’ character, which is a character that didn’t originate from Chinese - it was created in Japan.

8 Likes

2023年10月23日(月)

訓:ふと.い、ふと.る
音:たい、た
英:plump, thick, big around

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
A fairly simple character for today. I think it looks very similar in all styles.

7 Likes

2023年10月24日(火)

訓:すす.ぐ、ゆす.ぐ
音:たく
英:laundry, wash, pour on, rinse

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I went to the dentist yesterday, and the hygienist told me many times to rinse my mouth out, so I thought of this one. I was really uneasy with the 草書 version, because the left and right hand sides don’t seem to balance well… but in my book that’s how it says it’s done… obviously mine is far from perfect but still…

8 Likes

2023年10月25日(水)

訓:つき
音:げつ、がつ
英:month, moon

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I decided to go with a simple one today, and I don’t think I did too badly on the balance, even on the cursive styles. What do you think?

8 Likes