本日の文字 - Today's Character

I’ve been away for longer than I expected, sorry!
Back tomorrow.

4 Likes

I’m not sure which one this falls under but I tested out some different calligraphy styles awhile ago and really liked this way of writing 無, so I tried it over and over again for an hour and finally got one that looked good to me

7 Likes

Fantastic!
That’s a form of 行書. There are many different interpretations of the style and I have no idea about the differences between each individual way, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it is, as the 草書 version would have far fewer strokes.

3 Likes

2023年11月8日(水)

音:たん
英:nativity, be born, declension, lie, be arbitrary

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
OK I’m back. I’ve been away having various birthday celebrations, so I decided to do this one.

5 Likes

Welcome back! I’m really enjoying this thread, especially seeing how the kanji “breaks down” in the semi-cursive form and then further in the grassy form.

3 Likes

2023年11月9日(木)

訓:はか.る、はか.らう
音:けい
英:plot, plan, scheme, measure

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I did a character with 言偏 yesterday and decided I really enjoyed writing it, so here’s another one!

5 Likes

Indeed you really enjoyed writing ‘it’! Remarkable coincidence!

4 Likes

2023年11月10日(金)

訓:くし、つらぬ.く
音:かん、けん、せん
英:spit, skewer

書き順

楷書
IMG-7596

行書

草書

メモ
I love this one as it actually looks like the thing that it’s meant to be. I’m a big fan of 串カツ and 串焼き - and if you don’t know what they are, you’ve never been out drinking with me!

4 Likes

2023年11月11日(土)

訓:はは、も
音:ぼ
英:mother

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
This is a tough one for me to get right in terms of getting the first stroke in the right place. Has anyone else struggled with that?

5 Likes

Nice! 草書 is almost , as it should be for a mother!

Curiously enough, though it starts in a similar way to , I don’t have much trouble with , I think (pray, tell me what you think).

I particularly like to draw it in :

’s structure reminds me of , with the two inner dot-like strokes.

そういえば, one kanji that I particularly like to do is . もし良かったら、この漢字を書いていただけませんか? :pray:t2:

とにかく, 良い週末を

5 Likes

Well 女 and 母 are definitely related pretty closely.

I like it. Trying to put myself into the head of my calligraphy teacher, who would find fault with absolute perfection (that’s his job - I’m not criticizing), I’d say to make it about 5-10% smaller, to give you more white room around the outside and that both 「、」s in the middle should go from upper left to lower right, unlike in 舟, when the bottom one goes straight down. As for your 草冠 on 苺, I’d say to make the horizontal line a little shorter (roughly corresponding to the 母 underneath, and for the two vertical lines, they should be slightly longer above the horizontal line than below, like this:
Again, I’m not pretending to be an expert. This is just some of the stuff I’ve learned over the years. Nice job and thanks so much for the contribution.

4 Likes

I hate this one with a passion, but I’ll give it a try!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your appreciation and appraisal! I’ll try to keep it all in mind whilst doing my kanji practice. Indeed I got carried away with and misplaced the second dot in . :sweat_smile:

As for , I wouldn’t like to impose and really appreciate your kindness. Why do you 大嫌い this particular kanji, if I may ask?

3 Likes

No, you’re not imposing, because I created this thread with a view to study for myself as well as introduce others to the different styles of writing.

Because I’ve never been able to get it right. I’ll have a decent go tomorrow, though.

4 Likes

2023年11月12日(日)

訓:たまご
音:らん
英:egg, ovum, spawn, roe

書き順

楷書
IMG-7609

行書

草書

メモ
I’m actually pretty pleased with how this one turned out.

4 Likes

Yes indeed!

1 Like

I’m following this thread almost daily, love it, thanks Matt!

You mentioned a book earlier in the thread that you use as a reference. Would you be so kind as to give a link to the precise book? I’d really enjoy practising drawing a few kanjis myself but was not sure about which source would be the best.

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for taking such an interest! This is the book I’m using now, but there are plenty more out there that teach the same thing. Thanks again for your interest!

4 Likes

2023年11月13日(月)

音:こう、く、ぐ
英:craft, construction

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I thought I’d do a simple one today. This one is seen almost everywhere in Japan, and has so many styles. Many of them break in the middle, as below:

6 Likes

Thanks a lot Matt!

2 Likes