訓:くも、-ぐも
音:うん
英:cloud

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I love 雨冠, and I might well do a few more of these soon, but anyway, here’s a cloud.

6 Likes

Indeed! Another one really difficult to master, 雨冠, both the balance, the precision and the proper space in which to place it.

いつものように, I can only but marvel at the cursive version. This time it looks to me as a djinn floating over the cloud, looking down on Earth and exclaiming “雨が降らせせ!”.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your kind comments!

3 Likes

2023年10月27日(金)

音:さく
英:yesterday, previous

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I opened my book at a random place today and here’s where it landed. Sorry, there isn’t much more reason than that, but I love how the two sides interact with each other on the 草書 version.

7 Likes

I quite like 娯. It means “recreation” and it looks like a woman playing with a catapult. Slay, queen.

5 Likes

Absolutely love it!!!

2 Likes

2023年10月28日(土)

訓:わ.ける、わ.け、わ.かれる、わ.かる、わ.かつ
音:ぶん、ふん、ぶ
英:part, minute of time, segment, share, degree, one’s lot, duty, understand, know, rate 1%, chances, shaku/100

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
For such a simple character, even I was surprised by the differences in the writing styles.

7 Likes

2023年10月29日(日)

訓:つく.る、はじ.める、きず、けず.しげる
音:そう、しょう
英:genesis, wound, injury, hurt, start, originate

書き順

楷書
IMG-7458

行書

草書

メモ
It’s my school’s anniversary (創立記念日) tomorrow, so I thought this one would be nice to do.

8 Likes

お記念日おめでとうございます。

As usual, it is fascinating how 楷書 dissolves itself into 草書.

Looking at the sequence 楷書 - 行書 - 草書, I was wondering if there exist animated renderings of it. I don’t mean stroke-order sequences as in jisho.org, but a morphing video starting with the 楷書 kanji and ending in the 草書 version by going through the 行書 one.

2 Likes

I doubt it, but this could be our 64 million-pound idea!!

3 Likes

I really like this kanji, I don’t know why. I find it satisfying to write.

Much better than its crappy cousin 造…

It’s also tied indirectly to an other kanji that I like a lot: the left part 倉 (くら) meaning warehouse can also be spelled with 蔵 for I think fundamentally the same meaning, and then if you had the meat radical to the left of that you get 臓 which means internal organ. While 蔵 is the phonetic component here I kind of like the semantics of it: internal organs are the meat in the (body’s) warehouse.

I also think that it looks pleasantly dense:

4 Likes

2023年10月30日(月)

訓:きわ.める、きわ.まる、きわ.まり、きわ.み
音:きゅう、きょう
英:hard up, destitute, suffer, perplexed, concerned

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
This one is in the assignment I’m doing this month, and I’ve been having a bit of trouble getting it right.

7 Likes

I hope you don’t suffer too much while practicing it!

4 Likes

2023年10月31日

訓:おそ.れる、おそ.る、おそ.ろしい、こわ.い、こわ.がる
音:きょう
英:fear, dread, awe

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
This is one that I can never get right, but it’s Halloween, so I thought it’d be appropriate. Also, I saw some people dressed as dinosaurs (恐竜) at Mito Station tonight, so I thought I’d do this version instead if the other one.

6 Likes

2023年11月1日(水)

音:か
英:candy, cakes, fruit

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
I just had some Japanese sweets (和菓子) and decided to write this one. I tried not to make the 草冠 too big, since it’s not meant to be too imposing.

7 Likes

2023年11月2日(木)

訓:あま.い、あま.える、あま.やかす、うま.い
音:かん
英:sweet, coax, pamper, be content, sugary

書き順

楷書

行書

草書

メモ
Continuing from yesterday’s theme, I thought I’d give this one a go!

6 Likes

I hope you’re all enjoying this thread. Just to let you know, I’m going to take two or three days off, since Friday is a bank holiday and Monday is my birthday. After bukatsu tomorrow, I’m going to Chiba to see some old friends then on Saturday, I’ll be out with other friends. Long story short, I won’t be at my PC. As for Sunday… let’s see how the hangover is…
In the meantime, I hope other users will submit their work!

5 Likes

This is great. Is it ok for other people to share characters too? I’m not so many years in as you, and haven’t had time for my classes for a few months, but would love to be involved when I can in this thread too.

Thanks for sharing your work!

1 Like

Hi and welcome! Thanks for your kind comment.

Of course! I started this wanting other people to get involved, so please post as much as you want!

2 Likes