Transitive - Intransitive Verbs - Grammar Discussion

Kind of an dumb off topic question here, but why is it in the example

ケーキの上に乗っていたロウソクを消した。

ロウソク (candle) is written in katakana? When I checked it in Jisho it seemed to be the reading for an out of use kanji, but I’m used to seeing those in hiragana instead.

It happens. Sometimes authors do that for emphasis. It happens often for animal names (I think because the kanji is too complicated).

Here’s some more reasons why sometimes words are written in カタカナ. (Ignore the rest of the thread tho)
Pitch Accent - Reasons to Start Learning - #221 by mrthuvi

1 Like

Every time that thread gets linked I feel chills run up my spine

1 Like

First thing first this grammar point should have a giant warning label that says hard on it.

I’ve spent about an hour trying to wrap my head around what a transitive and intransitive verb is but honestly I couldn’t even give a bad explanation if you put a gun to my head. But the reviews themselves aren’t that bad it’s just which one makes sense. But I have a question on a review question I got and I don’t even know if it pertains to shit topic but I got it while cramming this lesson.

So, I got the question wrong as you can see. And yes I did guess that I was supposed to replace る with た. But what does the yellow bottom hint mean, why it is saying watch out for that が? As in how does が explain to me that the ending was supposed to be みつかった? To be clear I do realize I got it wrong I just don’t know how the が determines.

As far as I think I understand が is normally used to show the subject of a sentence? Or am I missing something

With 見つける the thing that is found would be the object marked with を, so that’s why the が points at 見つかる where the subject is what’s found (and there is no object).

But you have the English translation off in the screenshot. I guess without that information, it is actually ambiguous after all. The が only helps if you know that the 犯人 is supposed to be what’s being caught (found).

1 Like