Troubled grammar

When you do a Cram session, you have the option to choose Troubled grammar, which is totally awesome and super-helpful.

HOWEVER - is there a place to see what your troubled grammar is, and/or which grammar is more troubled than other grammar? I’m curious as to the threshold or mechanism that Bunpro marks grammar as troubled, and when you cram on it, how Bunpo presents it. Like, is it a pre-determined threshold (like <80% success rate) and then Troubled Cram just randomly pulls from those grammar points? Or is it ranked, e.g. Bunpro will show you the worst grammar first, always?

I’d also like to be able see my “worst”/Wall of Shame grammar somewhere, so I can study it, similarly to WaniKani’s critical and Wall of Shame features. If this is accessible somewhere, my apologies for being Mr. Magoo.

5 Likes

The way troubled grammar is calculated right now is if you get it wrong a certain number of times.

Cram needs a bit of a rework, and rather than doing a total number of times wrong, a % threshold would be nice. We could probably make a Wall of Shame type display somewhere as well.

11 Likes

My #1 request for Cram would be the ability to create custom sets :upside_down_face:

It’d be great to be able to drill all of the grammar I expect to personally use in my own conversations with friends, i.e., a cram session without any formal/old-fashioned/written/honorific grammar points.

8 Likes

Hmm… Do you mean a certain number of times ever? Or is it a certain number of times in the past X days/sessions?

I think there definitely needs to be a way to have much more focused cram sessions, if I’m having trouble with a few things it doesn’t do me much good to have to deal with them all together - I need to narrow it right down and hammer on them one at a time until I can get them consistently right.

At the moment I resort to paper flashcards for problem grammar, when it definitely feels like I should be able to do that in Bunpro.

(Perhaps I’m in the minority and most people rock up here having already gone through various textbooks and classes so already nailed the basics.)

I’m about midway through N3 right now and really struggling so yes, a percent threshold like WaniKani’s critical condition (lower than 75%) would be completely brilliant for tackling those high-gravity review items.

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see the future stats dashboard, complete with troubled grammar and the like.

1 Like

How does the troubled grammar feature work now? I have been struggling with several grammar points that have resulted in ghosts but when I want to cram the troubled grammar I’m told I have none. Am I misunderstanding how to use this feature?

I’ve been wondering about that as well. I don’t think I’ve ever had a grammar point show up in the Troubled Grammar section. I can’t be sure, as I stopped checking it after a while when I saw nothing was showing up there.

According to the FAQ:

It’s not clear whether that’s four times in a row or four times total.

Same I have so many ghosts it would keep any self-respected Ghostbuster in business for a while, yet it only shows I have two troubled grammar points.

Imo it sounds like four times in a row, I know for a fact I got the Kansaiben grammar points wrong more than four times and it never showed up as a troubled grammar point. @Jake would you kindly clarify this? :slight_smile:

me too. i only have one item in the “troubled gramar” section but there are definitely more points that i stuggle on than that. it would be cool if there was a way to review ghost items easily without havig to manually select them all

That’s a great idea. WaniKani just recently added this option (which they label as “Recent Mistakes”). I’ve used it a few times for troublesome vocab.

1 Like

This cram sessions looks good, I will give it a try for troubled grammar then

I dont see any difference between ところ and ばかり when the sentence appears in review. I always confuse them in the answer. It has been a nightmare for me these last weeks.

Maybe it would help to turn on “show nuance”?
Settings… General… Review English [Always Show Nuance]

space bar to show the yelow tip, right?

yeah, it doesnt show any for them that’s why i confuse them. :frowning:

1 Like

I ran through ところ and ばかり in Cram and you’re right – some of them are difficult to tell which it’s looking for because there’s no hint and the sentence context is not enough, but also some of them are not giving a “Can you think of another way” hint.
@Jake @Asher @mrnoone help?

1 Like

We can add some hints for these. What do you think about something along the lines of:

Hinting at ところ -
“Try something more literal”
Hinting at ばかり -
“Try something more opinion based”

Probably the shortest hint possible that actually points toward one of the major differences. Note - could say ‘subjective’ instead of opinion based, but in general that’s a harder word for lots of people.

1 Like

I like where you’re going with this. I would choose slightly different words just because of the way I learned it, but it’s the same idea.
– Hinting at ところ - “Try something more focused on the scene”
– Hinting at ばかり - “Try something more focused on the feeling”
But also, I’d revisit the individual grammar pages to include the same wording (ie. literal, scene, opinion, feeling) for consistency.

3 Likes

same happens with どんなに and いくら, both mean ‘no matter how’ and during reviews I dont know which one to use.