Update: 2/17 - Decks & Vocab Beta

You might want to add this to your vocab deck

In all seriousness, thanks for the great work.

12 Likes

Based on whatā€™s been told to us by admins, decks (in this scenario) is referring to different groups of vocab based upon a ton of different variables where you can see each one and add things to your liking, or just straight-up study the whole deck. Currently you have just a bunch of grammar points and then paths to guide you along each route, but decks will (probably) work differently. When user-made decks come into play, you could see someone create a ā€˜deckā€™ (think of it like custom list) of words about anything - top 400 food words in japanese, most common 2000 words in anime, etc. Think of it like a deck of cards where you can see them all spread out and pick and choose which card you want to take.

Hopefully that makes sense :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I see! Thank you! Like the decks at Kitsun? Iā€™m also over there and am currently working through the 10k, Yotsuba vol.1 vocab, and N5 vocab. So there will be the same kind of decks over here on Bunpro too? Amazing. Thank you for explaining it to me!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never actually used Kitsun before (but have heard a lot of things + read their website) and yeah it seems very similar in terms of usage! Bunpro wonā€™t be able to pull subtitles and do whatever Kitsun does over there, but thereā€™s no reason why users here couldnā€™t make their own decks for others to use which accomplishes the same thing.

If Bunpro doesnā€™t make an official one, Iā€™d be really interested in making a thread here eventually thatā€™s dedicated to compiling words for a common phrases/expressions Deck for others to use. This, plus slang used in anime/manga, seem to be some of the categories that websites/deck communities donā€™t spend much time on.

7 Likes

Very nice update. As other people have already said it would be nice to be able to type in your answers or be able to change your marking after seeing the answer. Another thing that would be nice is having an option to show the amount of reviews for vocab and grammar separately. Currently they both share the forcast, reviews activicty and srs stage on the dashboard so it would be nice to be able to tell them apart easily.

7 Likes

Nothing too original to add to the other voices here, @ Megumin feedback pretty much nails it.

• Typing in the answers is a big feature for me. Itā€™s why I use Kitsun. A lot of competitors out there donā€™t have this feature, not sure that vanilla Anki does?! Pass I know a lot of people use it but I personally didnā€™t get on with it.
  • I miss the voice audio
  • An undo button would be useful, tracking itā€™s usage and calling me out for using it multiple times on the same item would be an amazing feature.

I am a bit confused by the grammar decks though in relation to how Iā€™ve been using Bunpro up to now. A lovely UI is behind the Bunpro N5 deck but Iā€™m uncertain if itā€™s adding something, is an alternative to somethingā€¦

The vocab decks are great. Yay acknowledgement that Genki I version 3 exists!!
Havenā€™t had a review so will feedback on that in time. Iā€™m hoping that the example sentences come into play so itā€™s something a bit more interesting than ā€˜did you know what <> meant?ā€™

Love the direction this is going inā€¦ ruing my kitsun yearly sub at the moment.

7 Likes

With all those decks you will safe me probably a lot of money or headaches, so this is very much appreciated. Using it I have a little bit of feedback:

1. The Anki style is still weird to me. Personally the same as others here Iā€™d love to type in the answer instead, to make sure I really learn it correctly. (ideally being able to toggle the answer type in your prefs, so that those who prefer the anki style wonā€™t downgrade)
  2. Personally Iā€™d love to toggle on english translations for the example sentences. As I have encountered some where I knew all the vocab and grammar, but still could not piece it together.
  3. The Yellow warning needs a bit of a description, as it is not clear what I should be wary of.

I first thought this means, that it is a different word than the following words. But from the context I guess it is the other way around.
  4. Audio would be amazing

Thatā€™s about all for now. Thanks for all your hard work!

7 Likes

Oh wow, this is great!
When it comes to vocabulary onomatopoeias are what iā€™ve had the most trouble with if you are taking requests.
Thank you for your hard work!

7 Likes

I said this in another thread, but I wonder if as you have grammar reviews queued up the unknown vocabulary could be pulled out and shown to you ahead of time, that way as you come to grammar points you have already been exposed to the Vocab in the sentences. The number 1 one thing that make me leave my learning session on Bunpro in not knowing one word in a grammar point and leaving the site to look it up and understand it before I come back to Bunpro to finish the review.

6 Likes

Other thought actually what if you could add Vocab directly from the grammar point sentence itself. Similar to the popup. One of the options could be to add it to a deck. I think that I would prefer the automatic option, but some may not. It would be a good middle ground.

4 Likes

Is there a way to separate grammar and vocab reviews? I went through 300 N5 words (with the intention of going through the whole deck asap bc I know most of N5), but now - all of those words are blowing up my review section and the grammar kind of goes under.

This is totally my bad, I didnā€™t really check how it works tbh, I just assumed that grammar and vocab had separate review sections šŸ„²

8 Likes

Quick dumb question:

Is this a new functionality, similar to Anki, but offering pre-made decks made by the Bunpro team?

Basically a different SRS ā€œstreamā€ for vocabulary, instead of the regular SRS stream for grammar?

5 Likes

Holy cow, canā€™t believe this is already in beta. Nice work! Really looking forward to custom decks!

• Add my vote for manual input option in the future.
  • Also add my vote for choice to review just vocab, just grammar, or both.
  • Future: Maybe add a toggle on the Decks landing page to hide completed decks or move them to a separate section down lower? I have several complete already and itā€™s a little rough scrolling through everything on mobile.
  • Future: Add a search bar on the deck landing page to search all decks (or all my personal or in progress decks) for a search term? I see thereā€™s a way to search inside one deck but it would be cool to be able to find a term in any deck from one dedicated place.
8 Likes

I definitely think it should have an option to add notes to vocabulary. Although I can speak English, my mental process of Portuguese ->Japanese is way faster than English ā†’ Japanese. So I guess I will just continue using my physical dictionary for now while that isnā€™t available.

5 Likes

I also got a bit confused. I guess the vocabulary decks are supposed to group up the vocab for SRS. But I also didnā€™t understand how the grammar decks differ from the paths.

9 Likes

Yeah pretty much hit the nail on the head, and apparently users will be able to make their own decks and share them (probably looked over by mods first for quality check?) so Iā€™d imagine weā€™ll start seeing a ton of user decks on here. Which is gonna be great as a lot of people donā€™t really use a textbook, so theyā€™d benefit more from decks related to Manga, frequency lists, anime, etc. Lots of possibilities for sure.

8 Likes

Users like manual input but I can say going through WaniKani, itā€™s been one of the biggest waste of time in my learning journey which had a selective benefit depending on the content and userā€™s learning level but mostly just a time suck and pain to do on mobile. As for the vocab decks not sure why the same SRS scale would be used for vocab, they are not 12 different entities like the the grammar sentence platform. Not to be critical and while great BunPro is expanding, there is alot of features missing compared to other vocab platforms and I think there are utilities on grammar that still could be improved here. Nonetheless, itā€™s great the time is very active and I do appreciate the time being put in, Iā€™m sure everything with improve more in time.

6 Likes

Ah so just had a reviewā€¦ yeah itā€™sā€¦ fine, I would love it to be the same format as the grammar reviewsā€¦ a sample sentence with the gap and then the prompt, I misunderstood the proximity of example sentences.

I think it might be useful for new users that arenā€™t already using another vocab SRS, itā€™s not quite there yet for me to make the switch.
But Iā€™m confident that the BP team will make a delicious recipe as all the ingredients are in their kitchen.

5 Likes

Just wanted to add that I love the approach that you taken, with the beta release and requesting feedback. Itā€™s very refreshing. I feel like a community member rather than a user, working in partnership to make the site as good as it can be.

8 Likes

woa, I didnā€™t expect this to be in beta this soon. Nice work!

One kind of deck I would like to see in the future is about onomatopoeia. Will custom decks support that? Or is it another kind of thing that would have to be added besides grammar and vocabs?

I would prefer to have the manual input option. Having to write the answer instead of just thinking if I know it or not will help to be honest with my knowledge.

If it was there, I probably wouldnā€™t use it. Taking a binary choice of ā€œI know thisā€ or ā€œI donā€™t know this at the level I wantā€ is easier.

For both questions, yeah!

5 Likes