Update: 2/17 - Decks & Vocab Beta

Mmm there might be a bug lurking here. I’m working my way through a pile of reviews, doing them in chunks and I think the vocab ones keep appearing.

edit: on the webview aspect of the android app

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far. You all have given us a lot of great stuff to think about. We will get cracking on implementing a lot of the changes you suggested :smiley:

@HotAirGun @razmic @Jet @anon11044561 @Megumin @kush @jrmr50 @Wippo @quadban @FelineSinth I am curious to get thoughts on the following everyone who suggested manual input:

• Which is better: See the English, input the Japanese or see the Japanese, input the English or be required to to do both in one review (similar to how Wanikani does it?)
9 Likes

@lungmao3 Could you tell me a little bit more about mems? I think we will be moving toward optionally making notes for grammar and vocab public :+1:

@HotAirGun Thanks for the feedback! I patched both of those quick last night :bowing_man: We’ll look into the report button and also the tooltip being triggered.

@Kyayna Thank you for the kind words!!

1. Right now, you need to go into each vocab word and mark it known. I think we will make it possible to do that from the deck page itself in the near future.
  2. Thanks for the suggestion of showing vocab in context. It is definitely something we can consider but will take a fair bit of time to implement should we go that route.

@razmic Great suggestion on marking them known. That should be pretty easy to incorporate :+1:

@Katzerin Amazing feedback. Thank you so much!

@Fabi02 Good catch on the stats. They will indeed be separated out.

@Megumin Thank you for all the feedback! To be straightforward, we don’t have any plans for allowing export of decks at this time. I know everyone who uses Anki extensively probably already has their flow figured out and the pain of switching over to Bunpro might be too much, but we fully intend on making using Anki for learning Japanese so inferior to what Bunpro offers that it might just lure even hardcore Anki users in. :smiley:

@kush As a stopgap, you can toggle the English with space or the Show button to the left.

@jrmr50 We will probably look to add audio to the vocab stuff in the future :+1: For the “learning” quiz, we don’t show the oops or undo buttons by default, but during reviews it will be there. At this point, decks are an alternate to both Paths and to the Lessons page. Long term, Decks will probably become the main way that you add new content to your review queue. One of the big benefits of decks in our minds is the ease and flexibility to study a little bit from 2+ different lists at the same time. We haven’t ironed out the whole process yet but we will get there :slight_smile:

@Wippo Thanks for the great feedback!

@Sidgr Both of your suggestions are things we plan to implement. The Bunpro mixed decks would most likely be built in a way where we show you new vocab, then new grammar with the aim being that vocab in the grammar examples is only vocab you had either already seen or had just learned.

@yannick We are thinking about implementing settings like “show vocab first in reviews” or “show grammar first” as default options and probably something in the review dropdown to sort during a session.

@Leo-Tyrant Not a dumb question at all! It is similar to Anki but they are premade using Bunpro content.

@quadban Thanks for the feedback. We are planning on adding search and filters for the decks, especially once we allow anyone to make decks, I suspect there may be way, way more decks than we reasonably show on the page.

@Manab The grammar only Path decks don’t differ from the old Paths page but the old paths page wasn’t able to easily support vocab and grammar. In time, we will probably sunset the old paths in favor of the new decks, especially once we have added more functionality to the decks.

@s1212z Thanks for the honest feedback. We really appreciate it. :bowing_man:

@FelineSinth Thanks for the feedback!!

12 Likes

With regards to manually inputting vocab reviews:

• See English, Input Japanese
  • See Japanese, Input English
  • Both in same review

0 voters

6 Likes

Shame but it’s to be expected. You will need a good app with offline support and good syncing for that.

For the custom cards it would be nice to have an import, once it’s really an alternative to Anki to consider.

I think it’s more important to be able to input the Japanese. English I’m fine with just getting the answer after clicking a reveal button.

7 Likes

I don’t really have a preference of one over the other, so I’d probably prefer to do both. The bad thing is that if you don’t have a lot of reviews to do, you will kind of remember the answer from the other one of the pair (or even get one after the other). Maybe, the one are you required to do could be selected randomly(?)

3 Likes

I personally think asking for both is the only way to go. As I most often find myself knowing either the english meaning or the japanese pronunciation.
For reading the meaning is more important, but for listening you will need to know the pronunciation as well. I suppose most folks (like me) want to be able to read and speak japanese not just one of those. So it does not make much sense to only practice one direction.

5 Likes

I don’t really have any feedback yet, but thank you for the Marugoto decks! Finally some books I know!

6 Likes

I definitely much prefer manual input. I tried to get used to the ‘unknown, known’ style with the SRS system in Satori reader, but it just felt bad. Retention seems worse too.

As for decks, you guys should look at what Kitsun does if you haven’t already. They have great deck features like giving you the ability to bookmark, mark known words (across decks too) and add tags that exclude Wanikani content.

I’m also for a notes. It’s always nice to be able to add a little note to a vocab word (like further explanation on the nuance if there are other similar words).

7 Likes

Sorry if this has been addressed already, if there are the same two words in different decks, will they both appear in the reviews? Or will the word only show up once?

I thought about this since I’m also learning Chinese and a website I’m using (HackChinese) has a really smart system for this. There are lists of vocab and no matter if a word is part of multiple lists, it’ll never show up more than once in the review system.

I actually think the whole lists/vocab system that this website uses is one of the best I’ve seen in any SRS app / website. So this might be something to look at for inspiration ^^

But considering this is a beta I think the decks feature here is already looking very promising!

4 Likes

They will only ever appear once :+1:

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks! :blush:

5 Likes

This is so exciting!! I think all of my points below have been addressed already but want to add my feedback just in case.

These would be my top 3 requested features:

• Integration with Wanikani to mark vocab completed in wanikani as complete in Bunpro
  • Manual input of both japanese hiragana and english
  • A combined vocab/grammar deck that would teach vocab words used in grammar points right before learning the respective grammar.

Thanks again! Looking forward to how this new feature evolves!!

8 Likes

I’d recommend doing both, but in separate reviews similar to how anki handles multiple notes on the same card. If a note from one card is covered, all other notes on the same card are “burried” till the next day, meaning you won’t see any related not until the next day.

7 Likes

“Which is better: See the English, input the Japanese or see the Japanese, input the English or be required to to do both in one review (similar to how Wanikani does it?)”

I don’t think having an English word show up and typing Japanese is similar to how Wanikani does it, unless you use Kaniwani. This isn’t to make a value judgement on either, as Wanikani isn’t God or anything, and you’re attempting to do something inherently different, but you never read an english word on stock Wanikani. I think either method has its pros and cons.

Personally I prefer seeing Japanese and typing English as my goal is less to be able to produce Japanese than to read Japanese, and also it could be argued that only showing Japanese keeps you in the “reading Japanese mindset”, but doing both at once is probably better. I would personally like a toggle.

Speaking of toggles, the person above who complained about manual input on phones is valid, but I am sick of websites being designed for phone users to the detriment of desktop users. A toggle would accommodate both platform users. I know this reply comes down to “lol just use toggles im a genius despite not having to do any of the actual work implementing this”, but I would appreciate it.

8 Likes

Personally japanese to english would be more useful but I dont see a downside to having an option for both
Edit:
When doing my vocab reviews i noticed you cant use the numberpad to choose if you were right.
Also if you end the session on a review the option buttons stay visible till you get to the summary page, not sure if this happens with normal reviews but this stuck out to me

2 Likes

Avid Anki user, I also use JPDB occasionally. I don’t intend on using Bunpro for vocab, but here are my 2 cents: (If I skip a question, its because I have no particular feedback on it)

• Should Vocab Reviews also be manual input?
    I don’t think J->E vocab review should be manual, it would be a nightmare to set up all the different synonyms, multiple definitions, etc. (Example: 前, 先, 出す)
    I can see manual input for E->J efffective if there is context provided. (e.g. clozed sentence), though it should definitely be an option and not a requirement.

• Should there be a third option that keeps the SRS at it’s current level? Something like a “I kind of know this” button.
    I find Bunpro lacking in its interval settings. A “hard” equivalent would definitely be nice, and it would be nice to have an option for “I already know this”. Alternatively, another thing to explore would be to have the next interval be automatically based on how long it took the user to answer. (all this applies to the current grammar SRS too.)
    I’m quite frustrated with the current system because I get shown grammar points at the same frequency regardless of if I know the answer from reading the first word of the sentence or if it takes me a handful of “close guesses” to get it.

• Would you like to be able to add notes to vocab?
    I use notes extensively in Anki, I don’t see why this shouldn’t be a thing here.

• Would you like to see a Bunpro N5 mixed deck where we show you vocab then grammar in such a way that the vocab you learn first will then show up in the examples for the grammar you just learned?
    If you’re thinking along those lines, I think to scale up you’ll need to allow us to import our own list of words we know (import Anki collection, API with other services, text file, etc.) as this would only work for those that start using Bunpro as zero-beginners. Anything beyond, it would be a too mendokusai to manually mark all the already-known vocabulary. (for example, the user that posted right after me)

There are other services that teach both vocab and grammar with nice UI, and what makes Bunpro stand out to me, and why I recommend it, is that it is super focused on grammar only and doesn’t spend any time/resources (both mine and the dev’s) on much else. I don’t mean to say “don’t do vocab at all”, but if resources are limited grammar should (IMO) have priority over vocabulary, and let other vocab focused SRS services (e.g. JPDB) focus on the vocabulary features.

9 Likes

Couple of quick questions:

I have already invested years in vocabulary (N5-N4-N3 mostly) using other SRS like Anki and even Wanikani and other apps: What should be the recommended approach to this?

Should I start from scratch? I love how Bunpro works, but I dont want these reviews to pile on top of my Bunpro-grammar reviews, do they follow a different “backog-queue?”

4 Likes

As @tai mentioned, I wouldn’t start over unless there was an import option and you really felt comfortable with the system.

My Anki decks are relatively small in size with the average user, since they are only crafted manually from Kanji Kentei books, but I still wouldn’t want to go with the thousands of cards creations, and start over with the SRS (or even if you could input the SRS level, it would mean just inputting more thousands of data)

So yes, importing is a basic feature if they want people in from other SRS. For beginners it might be worth considering.

I 1000% agree on this. Of course I’m not aware of how the tasks and the teams are assigned inside BunPro, so I’m not sure if this is getting in the way of other things. But I’d rather the priority on the grammar part, like finally finishing the audio for all grammar points, the rewriting of the remaining grammar points or starting with those juicy dialect/outside JLPT grammar points that were teased during the year-end announcement.

I’d take this more like a side-feature approach, that eventually it might get good enough to be a main thing.

Yes, exactly. It could be a nightmare to do. And not only synonyms or multiple definitions, sometimes is something as little as a nuance or up to interpretation, and specially hard when not provided in a context.

7 Likes
  1. Thanks for that, will keep an eye out for it! Until then, I’ll just do it individually as I go

2. Of course, it just popped into my head and I figured there’s no harm in putting it out there. As you say, it would be incredibly involved to get that working!

3 Likes