Update - Ever been to Osaka? Nah, Kansaiben

Hi Everyone! :grin:

First things first, excuse the pun in the title. :joy: As some of you may have guessed, this post is about Kansaiben… Which we just released!

You can find the Kansaiben deck here: 関西弁 [Grammar & Vocab]

This is Bunpro’s first dive into grammatical uncharted waters, and we’d like to give you a rundown of our approach.

:earth_asia: Size and Scope :earth_asia:

Kansaiben is considerably smaller than our standard grammar pathways. Coming in at just 21 grammar points (for now), we have included the core structures of the dialect, but also left a bit of room for growth in the future. By the end of the course, you should be able to recognize most of the classic Kansai grammar patterns, and have a better understanding of how they interact with/replace standard Japanese grammar.

In addition to this we have also added vocabulary commonly used in the Kansai region, as this is something that goes hand-in-hand with the grammar. The vocabulary list consists of about 30 words, with some appearing so frequently that they could almost considered grammar structures themselves.

We actually plan to add more Kansaiben grammar points and vocab in the future, and make further distinctions between structures that will appear in Osaka, vs what you might hear in Kyoto, etc.

:thinking: How Reliable Is It? :thinking:

We gathered all of our information from a range of sources, but primarily focused on university oriented teaching material that specifically taught Kansai-Ben. In addition to this, we happen to have super secret access to a few Kansai natives at our disposal, so this made the process a lot easier!

We are very confident in the initial lessons that we have constructed, and have put them together in a way that builds upon and makes references to standard Japanese.

:bunprogold: What Is the Difficulty Level? :bunprogold:

Due to the degree to which we reference standard Japanese in our explanations of Kansaiben, it is recommended that students have a fairly strong grasp of at least N4 level content in standard Japanese, before they try to tackle Kansaiben. In saying that, most of the grammar points are still fairly accessible to students that have only just finished N5.

Making references to standard Japanese is something that we have done mainly out of necessity, as many forms that appear in Kansaiben derive from standard Japanese structures, and cannot be found in run-of-the-mill dictionaries.

:door: What Does This Open the Door For? :door:

While we still have plenty of grammar points that we would like to add to the website that are not from dialects, implementing Kansaiben is definitely a stepping stone toward adding other dialects as well.

As of right now, we have no 100% decision for which dialect will come next, but we will try to base our decisions largely around what users want, and also how big/varied certain dialects are from others.

For those that would like to give it a crack, we would love to hear feedback on the new Kansaiben content, and how you guys think we can improve upon or change the way we tackle dialects in the future!

As always, thanks for the ongoing support, and we hope you all have a fantastic week ahead!

67 Likes

This is very exciting! I hope this can open the door to other dialects, maybe even tread into 古文 waters?

EDIT: Is there going to be a way to access this from the lessons page?

13 Likes

This is really cool! The first resource (at least that I’ve come across) that actually teaches such an important aspect of the language :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Thanks for this great addition!!!

5 Likes

Perfect! There are a lot of vocab that I have been hearing frequently but not been able to find in dictionaries.

6 Likes

I hope with this deck I can finally be able to read The Way of the Househusband :smiley:

8 Likes

Should help with reading manga with characters from that region? Hopefully it’s searchable as I plan to review later in my journey.

Supercool idea though.

(I’m doing my impressions of regional UK accents to myself for no apparent reason)

6 Likes

Thanks for this! And also thanks for giving the link.

I’ve read a lot about new content on the forum but couldn’t find it. Shouldn’t there be a link to the Decks page somewhere in the menu?

6 Likes

Oooh, thank you so much! I’m super excited to try this out!

Echoing the others, there doesn’t seem to be a way to access the page from the main menu screen, unless I’m missing something?

5 Likes

Love this! I have zero knowledge of kansai-ben personally so that’s going to be interesting.

5 Likes

おおきになああああああああ
ほんまに

See this why I love you guys xx

thank you sooooooo much !!!

もうすぐ松本人志のように話せるになるよ!!

5 Likes

@is0ph @eefara

Hi guys! We are glad that you are looking forward to trying out Kansaiben!

In order to be able to access the decks, and see the ‘Decks’ option in the navigation bar at the top of the screen, you will need to enable beta testing in your profile settings. Many of the new things that we implement go to beta, before going live. To find beta, just click on your username on the navigation bar, followed by settings, and then you will see ‘Bunpro Beta’ half way down the page. Set that to ‘Opt in’, and then you will have access to all of the latest features, as soon as we implement them. :blush:

10 Likes

This is a very great addition, that will definitely help in immersion! Thank you. :slight_smile:

Are there plans to add decks to show as a progress bar on the home screen as it is with the JLPT grammar points? I love seeing my progress as I inch towards completion of N3 grammar points and I think this would be handy especially with new grammar points.

5 Likes

Oh boy. My brain is going to have a lot of fun trying to remember all these alternative sentence ending particles!

難しいなー

6 Likes

The ない ⇒ へん doesn’t seem to mention it but I was under the impression there were excpections to that rule instead adding ひん for certain い sounds like 起きひん. Or is that a regional difference?

5 Likes

Good question! This initial iteration of Kansaiben mainly focuses on Osakaben, with a few omissions on things that are either rarely used, or only used in specifc areas. However, we will definitely be including ひん in the future. Here is some information I was able to find on the topic -

if the dictionary form ends with –e-る, then -e-へん is the form most commonly used, and if it ends with –i-る, then –i-ひん is the most commonly used one in Kyoto/Shiga; however, -i-へん and –e-へん (even the sound in the stem itself can change in Kansai-ben!) are also used in Osaka and some other regions.

7 Likes

osaka ben is fine to understand

I had a hard time trying to understand people when in Aomori :joy:

5 Likes

Very excited about this! I find Kansai-ben to be very amusing and I hope it gets expanded in the future.

My only question, if I add this grammar points into the mix, and by mistake I answer a general Japanese grammar with Kansai-ben, will I get a warning or will I get a straight wrong answer?

It might be a bit dangerous to not get a warning at least, same as when more dialects are implemented, the warning should be “You are answering in X dialect when we are currently asking Y dialect”. I know this adds a lot of branching in your system, but I think it’s important.

9 Likes

Can this be used as a teaching resource somehow? Not sure why I find it so funny

5 Likes

This thread is definitely lacking a soundtrack

@Asher, thank you so much for this update! I’m going to try it right now

7 Likes

Oh, wow! This is really amazing! Thank you!!
I’m still a beginner (just finished N5) but I fell in love with Kansai-ben while watching Chihayafuru haha.
I’ll be sure to try this deck once I finish the others (it’ll be a while)

4 Likes