Verb[て] - Casual Request - Grammar Discussion

(Please) do (for me)
casual request

Structure

• Verb[ ]。

[In casual speech, expressions like ください can be dropped, and the て-form by itself can be used to convey requests. Depending on the tone and context of the situation, it can also be used to express a relatively soft order]

[Remember that the て-form used at the end of a sentence is not only used for requests, it can also imply that speaker didn’t finish the sentence, for example, to attract the listener’s attention (スーパーで彼に出会って… I bumped into him at the supermarket and…). It is also used when placing emphasis on an apology (or in general - reason) by inverting order (すみません、昨日は時間がなくて。I am sorry, I didn’t have time yesterday.)]

View on Bunpro

1 Like

So the double “te” at the end of this example is really throwing me off…why is it not just “soko de sukoshi mate” (sorry, writing on a computer without kana)? Why is the extra “te” needed?

3 Likes

Hey! 待ってて is a contraction of 待っていて. It is used when we request another person to wait until the speaker comes back. Think of it as saying “wait and be/stay” rather than just “wait.” Cheers!

1 Like