Verb + に行く - Grammar Discussion

yeah this really needs to be added to the lesson, the fact you must conjugate the verb to use `に行く`

1 Like

I totally agree, please add the conjugation info in the structure and explanations.

It also seems noteworthy to point out that the structure in several lessons mentions Verb[ます](which isn’t in the Structure Legend) instead of Verb[stem].

Finally regarding the Structure Legend it only helps if you already know the form being referred. It would be a huge help if you could also add this kind of info in the Structure Legend (which is hard to find) or at least a link toward a related lesson.

1 Like

Hello Bunpro team,
Please fix this newbie trap, the explanation is not sufficient enough. This is a known issue since 2019 and still not fixed.

For a new guy it is hard to tell that Verb[ます]= verb[stem]
Further explanation of stem (one from mrnoone) should be attached to the grammar too.

5 Likes

ima kara toreeningu wo shi-ni ikimasu. // when (A) person says to this centence to (B) person, it means; (A) person is out, he is on his way, he is coming. // OR // Has he not left the house yet but it seems like he is about to leave? // CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE… i am trying to understand “ima kara”

Hello,
Just as @procmi already said. I think we need a stem form grammar lesson. Its’s just a concept thrown at you in this lesson without any further information.
The proposed reading material also does not mention anything about the stem form at all.
Should be possible to have this as an early N5 lesson.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community :tada:

The stem form isn’t similar to the て form, but rather the ます form. So conjugate it for the ます ending, and omit the ます
読みます 読みに行く

Saw you deleted post, so just take this as a welcome message :kissing_heart:

Could someone explain to me how 遊ぶ becomes 遊びにって? I don’t understand how this relates to に行く.

Did you see it somewhere or?
Anyway it sounds like a verbal contraction to me.
遊びにいく to go to play/hang out
にいって to go to play and… (As a てverb here)
にって

に ends in the same sound as い so without more information, you either missed the い if listening, or it’s a contraction. Or maybe just a typo :upside_down_face:

This little convenient chart is probably what should be in the grammar point itself, as I’m having lots of difficulties with it.

Thank you for creating it.

1 Like

I’ve been positively beating my head against this one until I remembered to check the little grammar discussion. There most definitely needs to be more elaboration on godan verbs needing to be conjugated from casual dictionary form to the polite form before you lop off the ます and add the に行く

4 Likes

Not godan specific conjugation explanation, but it does have something that tells you.

I could see how the explanation is a little lightweight though

Hi all! I see that some actions include the stem from of suru (shi) before adding the ni-iku. My question is: Does suru (shi in this case) not require an object marker (wo) to function correctly? In the below sentence, for example, why is there no “wo” between “benkyou” and “shi”?

日本語を勉強しに行きます

This feels like taking an unnecessary extra step to fit it into a neat description short-hand description that works for both ichidan and godan verbs. Verbs don’t really conjugate into “ます conjugation”. “ます” is just a verb.

For godan verbs they conjugate into i-stem, which we even see in this response:
→ 休
→ 歩

For ichidan all that happens is removing “る” as with basically all ichidan conjugations.

As explained here we then add “ます”, and then remove “ます”, and then add in “に行く”

So isn’t adding in “ます” just an extra step to use the same description for ichidan and godan verbs? That’s… weird.

Anyways, I’ll drop in a little video that I think could be useful to most who stumble in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGA6Tj9_lSg