Verb[ない] - Grammar Discussion

negative verbs

Structure

• 食べる・食べない
  • 行く・行かない

View on Bunpro

I think this lesson doesn’t give enough information. It has the two cases for making a negation, but it doesn’t say which kind of verbs apply for which case

2 Likes

Hey!

You are right!
It will be changed within 24 hours to something like this:

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/41

Hey!
We have changed it :+1:

1 Like

Yup, much better, don’t have to refer to Tae Kim anymore if I make a mistake there :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does make it hard to read though. :slight_smile:
The line wrap is unfortunate, but maybe a blank line between each type of conjugation would help.

Also, why does the た one have a double arrow but the ない one doesn’t?

1 Like

I will change “/” into double arrows, I tried to save a bit of space, but it seems that the best way is to use two lines of text per verb anyway.

:smile:

Hello, a slash “/” is missing between こない, きません and こなかった, きませんでした :wink:
くる→こないきません →こなかったきませんでした

2 Likes

Has been fixed :wink:

Thank you for feedback :+1:

1 Like

Hello there! I don’t really know where to thank the developers for applying the extra info to Verb[ない] and すぎる, so I will go ahead and do it here: Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey and welcome on community forums :partying_face:

No problem! :blush:

1 Like

Is there no past tense for ある? What about なかった?

1 Like

@drmoore718 Hey! I have updated the structure section to include polite and negative conjugations of ある. Cheers!

Thanks! This will be very helpful!

1 Like

The correct answer for I didn’t eat pizza is:

ピザをたべなかった

Can someone help me understand why the following is wrong:

ピザをたべじゃなかつた

Is じゃなかつた for was not whereas なかつた is for did not?

じゃなかった is an exception and only applies to です. It simply means ‘was not’.
For most other verbs the structure works as Verb[ない]-なかった.
(Except for する, くる and ある of course)

1 Like

Am I missing something or is " 車は もちません" (持つ) missing the non-polite form answer? It just says “present negative” so it doesn’t seem to expect the polite form. The answer list only has the polite form though.

Not that I’m even sure I got the casual form right (it’s … um, もたない?).

Um, I’ll take that back. It shows it to me now. It didn’t before. Weird. Anyway, it’s listed correctly. My bad.

1 Like

It looks like this concept is covered in chapter 8 of Genki I, but is not included on BunPro’s Genki I path. Is this an error or am I misunderstanding something take makes this different from Genki’s “negative short form of verbs” chart?

The context sentence
はやく「きない→**きないです**」。[きる]
has not English translation.

1 Like