Website is painfully slow

The site is typically somewhat slow for me, but recently it seems like when getting a question wrong and hitting ‘Enter’ again to move on, it lags even more than usual. Using Chrome on Windows 10.

Slow for me too.

The Android app is also painfully slow - it seems like it’s loading a huge chunk (all?) of the reviews when starting to review instead of pulling in the first one and getting the rest asynchronously, in order.

1 Like

This site is getting slower and slower. I don’t think the database design was build to scale. At peak times the database is simply getting overloaded. This problem is going to get worse as more users join and there is more data to process.
They just need to spend more money on larger DBs or lose customers.
Another option is to redesign the data flow and pull all the data on one large initial load and keep all the session data in the session storage.
In either case, more money needs to be spent improving the speed of the backend.

3 Likes

Over the past several months, I get regular 3 - 10 second delays on submitting answers (not all of the time, but often enough!). Today, I just waited a whole minute on one, and then 30 seconds on the next.

(No wanikani key hooked up)

3 Likes

The page is reaally slow when i try to navigate through grammar points. I experience this often, but just now it took really long. Even got an error: “Page doesn’t exist” when waiting for a grammar point to load…
If it is of interest, i was trying to look through the N4 grammar points. I am using Vivaldi (chromium based browser).

2 Likes

Same here. It is really slow by todays standards on all my browsers (chome mac, safari iphone). It’s better that 6 months ago, but still “freezes” between answering questions. Sometimes i have to wait about 10 seconds.

5 Likes

It’s very slow for me too. I can’t even use the app so I switched to Bunpyro when I want to study on the go.
Honestly I like Bunpro a lot but I’m reluctant to subscribe with the website being as slow as it is currently.

1 Like

I personally somehow have not experienced the extreme slowness people talk about here, but I typically don’t use it during what are likely the typical peak hours.

But…

I think the team needs to step up and provide regular, transparent updates on investigations into these reports. Have any common patterns been identified so far, like browser or time of day? Have they investigated performance of the code and database for performance bottlenecks? What specific dev efforts are they doing to look into and address these concerns?

3 Likes

Just from the message board traffic alone, it seems to me that alot of slow reports came shortly after a large bulk of audio was added (if related, IDK).

1 Like

I’m here because I looked up ‘slow’ and I am kind of alarmed that this has been going on since 2015 then.

Same here… that’s why I tried searching the forums because my e-mail got no reply.

For me, most of the site is doable-slow, but when I click the ‘study’ button it just becomes 20 seconds or something around that time. When I look in dev-tools, it’s really nothing about any scripts that could run in my browser: it’s the call for a new page that is the slowest of all the calls. It’s really a server-side problem.

I now found a way around using the ‘study’ button, by checking the grammar page and manually adding grammar points to my queue (those are just slow, not 20 second-slow).

Is the site just all round slow for you guys, or do you experience a slow ‘study’ too?

1 Like

Interesting! I will have to look into this. I hadn’t thought about that.

@quadban You are absolutely right. I will try to do better going forward.

The main problem is that we can’t consistently reproduce them on our end. So we end up taking a few blind stabs here and there that we think might fix it with mixed results.

There are undeniable a few key slow pages, like study, especially if you have more than 5 or so grammar points all at once. That will just require an overhaul of how I initially implemented study. A partial transition to React on the front end is something I have considered but am still not sure on.

@Neorgus Bunpro only just started existing since 2017 :sweat_smile:
Sorry we didn’t get back to you via email! Have you by chance tried changing your batch size to something smaller like 2-3?

4 Likes

lolll, sorry about that! American date notation tripped me up again. I thought this was a revived thread from September 2015, but it started this September on the 15th.

It is okay! I am not a paying member yet so I understood that I got less resources. Was planning on trying again after my trial ended :slight_smile:

My batch size is the default size (3, I did not change it), so that shouldn’t really be the problem I think? It was much faster when I started out but seems to be slower and slower when there are more items active already. But it could be a coincidence.

Edit: I changed it around a bit, from 3 to 2 to 3 again, and it seems much faster now. Not fast, but also within a couple of seconds.

2 Likes

Is something happening with the site currently? I’ve always experienced a slow loading times between reviews and study batches, but now sometimes it takes soo long to load that I just receive an ‘‘application error’’ and I have to refresh the page…

1 Like

Sometimes even after I reset it doesn’t work. I literally have to close the page down and then open it up again on a new tab.

Hey! I did push and update around the time you wrote the message. That very likely caused the downtime. I will be implementing a better pipeline soon so the downtime should be reduced drastically in the future.

8 Likes

I was getting some issues running BP in Chrome today. Its was notably slow and would not allow scrolling to grammar point details or example sentences.

I switched to Safari (which is also script-less) and was notably much faster.

I know many have suggested it’s the server side but the root cause was never identified. So at least to track the user end, maybe we we can find some patterns.

If you have experienced slowness, what browser are you using?

• Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Opera
  • Pale moon
  • Safari
  • SeaMonkey
  • Vivaldi
  • Yandex
  • Other (specify below)

0 voters

2 Likes

My Safari vote is for Safari on iPad!

Yes, exactly! In combination with slowness. It has happened a couple of times but not consistently.

The website is slow for me too. The reviews are loading delayed and I even get an error occasionally, that the site cannot be loaded. The issue is the same on Safari and Google Chrome.
I hope this can be fixed soon.