Website is painfully slow

Same here, very slow. I’m in America

It has probably nothing to do with client site. I am from Poland as have the same problem.

There has to be something wrong with the way server handles requests (some problems with communication between threads?) or how it pulls requests from date base (inefficient sql query that pulls too much?). Or just their host simply sucks and they have to upgrade to better one.

However, for me the website is quite quick, with a few exceptions every now and then between the loading of two review items.
If it were server-side wouldn’t everyone be seeing this?
I live in the Netherlands btw.

That’s depends how it handles request. They can have for example unfair implementation of queries. Easy illustration:

Imagine that order of queue in a shop is decided by age. If you go in and there will be older lady she is served first. Fair and simple. Everything works fine in theory. But imagine you enter shop and there are two older people. Before first is done shopping then another came and situation repeat with every single costumers. You can wait infinite among of time and not be serve and programmer will have hard time figuring out why you complain: script almost always works after all. And it is just one way you can screw your script.

I as well got loading problem just from time to time. Not always.

2 Likes

I haven’t experienced slow reviews for a while now. My reviews are at random times during the day. I just did a batch of 7 reviews, and it was as swift as loading Google.com’s frontpage.

I’ve also been experiencing slow load times. Not consistently, but pretty regularly (about 15-20% of the time) so I did some debugging.

It looks like when loading is slow, the majority of the time is spent just waiting for a response from the server (i.e., time-to-first-byte/TTFB). Here’s an example of the request timing from loading the /learn page.

I took a look at the markup being returned by using view-source: and it looks like Bunpro is server-side rendering the base page. So if I had to guess, the slowness for most users is likely related to some inconsistencies in rendering performance from the server.

This may have to do with downstream calls used to populate the content for the page (e.g., the WaniKani integration mentioned earlier). Also, I feel like this would explain why pages with more content (like Study / Review) seem to be slow more often than other pages in my experience.

Hope this report helps!

I’ve really enjoyed using Bunpro and this is the only complaint I have against it, so if there’s anyway I can help further, let me know!

9 Likes

I would cross off wanikani from the list of potential culprits since I do not use it and still suffer with the same problem (unless BunPro use it for something else than I think they use it).

Great first post by the way! With such a introduction please feel free to spread your presence all over the place :hugs:

2 Likes

Noticed the same problems both when using the android app and browser version. Mostly the problem happens when starting the reviews or when going to the next review. The screen just displays a white background and some load times are quite extreme to the point that I closed the android app altogether after 20 seconds or so. I have the default settings only , no add-ons, scripts or special settings enabled.
From the comments I see that the problem persists for quite a while and would be nice to have a resolution for this issues.

2 Likes

By and large the website works well, but now and then reviews freeze up and take a while to load up… This has been a recurring issue for some time now.

4 Likes

Just throwing my info in — I do not have WK API integration turned on, and I have accessed this website (reviews and study) both from at home and at work with different computers. Regardless, about every other grammar point loads very slowly or the page becomes unresponsive. I have zero problems, for example, on WaniKani. I’m typically using Chrome, if that helps at all.

5 Likes

Same here. Using Chrome browser on my Android phone. The site will respond eventually but it very well takes up 10 to 20 seconds sometimes during reviews.

2 Likes

Adding to the occasional long loading times between reviews, it sometimes takes quiet long until I can actually type out my answer. Like, I start to type and no letters would appear for about 15 to 20 seconds after the question loaded. Any entries made in that time span don’t turn up later, they are completely swallowed. Problem stays on different browsers and computers.

4 Likes

I have also noticed that as well. It was fine for a little bit (not by any means fast but still). But recently it has been very slow for me. I have tried it on Chrome and Safari on different computers and different locations.

2 Likes

@Jutta @Shuffleblast

Finished up changes to server architecture I had been working on. Looking at metrics since the change (while still gathering more data), they point toward much improved issues with unresponsiveness/latency.

There are still changes that will go out with the next update that should optimize page load time further.

I am still looking for direct input on slow load times, so if anyone continues to experience it, please don’t hesitate to reach out, here or via support email.

10 Likes

Over the last few days, there was a great improvement in speed and reliability, at least in my experience! Awesome job! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just recently picking up bunpro again, but today I’m experiencing what I would definitely call slow load times. Five to ten seconds between clicking summary on study and seeing the review. But at the same time the actual reviewing seems to be loading fairly well.

I have only just signed up to the platform, but the lag was noticeable from the get go. No scripts running, nor is the Wanikani API integration turned on. Everything is set to default across the board. Primarily using Safari on iPad, but have the same issue on Mac / 12 Pro (again, Safari). I’m in the U.K., and I sign on around early morning, lunch, evening - makes no difference what the time is. Reviews are slow, but tolerable. The study session will regularly timeout, and is often unresponsive if I try to jump forward.

2 Likes

The worst thing for me (beside the lag) is the scripts that do not run, and make the webpage freeze for several seconds (when other pages that are open at the same time will run smoothly).
I run Bunpro on the Apple family (iMac, iPhone, and iPad).

What a difference a day makes, today the site is speedy and responsive for me using Safari on my Mac whereas I had switch to Chrome yesterday to keep it from crashing tabs. Not sure what changed but positive step :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had this same issue and it ended up being that my WaniKani API key was outdated.