What is the difference between all of these?

Just curious since I appear to mix the 5 I already know up, and the others seem to get me as well. I know はもちろん is used after stating the obvious… that’s the only nuance that stands out to me.

3 Likes

Some of them just offer different level of politeness, some other are more fancy, etc.
Not that I really know myself, though :slight_smile:

I guess it’s the same situation as words like “consideration” in japanese. There are like literally 20 different words that mean “consideration” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fun topic, this is how I read it for my own sake:

1. ばかり・だけでなく are the only literal translation IMO, or at least my ‘go to’ for having this literal english phrase to Japanese and fits all verb/noun/adj phrases when I want to make this phrase. It’s form is intuitive as well.

2. a. はもちろん means ‘of course’ and only works with noun connections/list conjugations. I hear ‘of course + noun , but also noun’ first and then hear ‘not only’ as secondary to make the translation smoother.
    をはじめ needs a も to make ‘not only’ work. So I hear “starting with…but also”, again using ‘not only’ to smooth out the translation when necessary and again only for noun connections/list conjugations.

Can’t say I’ve used group 2 in conversation but I think I would want to connect with the literal meaning first if I wanted to express this phrase before using it for a ‘not only’ alternative. I think the literal translation makes sense to what is getting formed here but the full sentence just needs to be read for reviews (not replace the literal key word blank). Certainly better than other grammar points that are not intuitive at all…at least to me yet. I think this is the challenge of always connecting a translation to grammar and it seems to get stressed more the further you go…just too many ways to say the same thing but with nuance flavors.

3 Likes