Why Bunpro’s translations are like that?

As a language learner, I want a clear translation, but what I get sometimes is more of an adaption. When I don’t understand something, poor translation only makes it more confusing.

Here’s a recent one:

/lessons/23/reading_passages

出来る事全てのコロナ対策が確実に出来て2020東京オリンピックが成功に終わる事を祈るしかない。

With all possible countermeasures for the Coronavirus, I can only but pray that we can create security, and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics is something that can successfully happen.

確実に出来て → we can create security
成功に終わる事 → something that can successfully happen

Is there a reason why Bunpro’s translations are like that?

1 Like

Yeah, that BunPro translation, while correct, is not the best. I agree.

I think some of the translations need revising, in order to make things clearer. “Paraphrasing”, for lack of a better term, doesn’t help.

1 Like

Hey @lieath !

The translation for that sentence was not very accurate so we have tweaked it a bit to match the Japanese sentence more accurately!

7 Likes

By the way, for anyone who’s not already aware …

If you find any more such poor translations, you can use the Report Bug :beetle: button during reviews (should be near the input box) to send the team a quick report (rather than needing to go to the forums).

They are usually quite responsive, and will reply back to your reports, which you will see in your User menu > Your Feedback section. This is probably the most-direct way to report issues, since it goes directly to the team and they’ll track them like a proper bug report.

If there continue to be extensive issues that you’d like discussion over, then feel free to also continue to post your issues in the forums, like you did here.

Also, there are two dedicated threads for posting bugs/issues (Feedback - Bug Reports) and feature requests/suggestions (Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request). These threads are for any/all reports, but especially ones you think other folks might also have and for which there may be a need for discussion, or to collect information about in the community/forum.

These threads are regularly monitored by the team, although the tracking of such reports are a little less ‘systematic’ compared to the Bug Report :beetle: button. The benefit is that they are publicly visible, for others to comment on or :+1: like, whereas Bug Report :beetle: reports are not publicly visible (only the BP team gets them).

3 Likes

I need to start doing this. There’s been times I wanted to report something, but end up not doing so. Just being lazy and leaving it to others to handle, lol.

2 Likes