Why is ~た acceptable, but not ~ました? (specific review sentence)

ママが書かきやすいペンを__________。 [買かう]

english

My mom bought a pen that is easy to write with. [for me]

I keep tripping over this review sentence, please help.

I want to answer ってくれました
But the correct answer is ってくれた

Both verbs are past tense. Why is the polite form unacceptable?

2 Likes

Does the review specially say to use the casual form instead of the polite form? If not, both are acceptable and you should raise it in this thread for someone to fix:

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply!

Unless it’s a setting I somehow have turned to “off” it doesn’t appear to specify casual form. I’ve submitted an error report for it, let’s see what the BunPro Admin says…

2 Likes

To me, ママ sounds like a casual tone conversation. はは or お母さん sounds more appropriate for masu form conversation tone, or at least that’s how I’m hearing it. But this is an imaginary situation so who really know the context exactly

1 Like

You make a good point about ママ being casual speech but that seems like a very subtle clue for the user. In this sort of situation I would expect BunPro to provide a hint if the user answers with the polite form, not just mark it incorrect.

1 Like

Yeah, best to give hint or context. Don’t know if they will backlog the context stories like they are doing now.

I just watched 過保護のカホコ and the character カホコ always referred to her mom as ママ no matter the context or who she was talking to. Then again, she was super spoiled by her mom (even as a college grad) which was the whole joke of the show.

1 Like

@Momiji Hey! As @matt_in_mito suspected, this particular review displays the hint “[casual]” in the answer blank (of the Japanese sentence) before you type your answer. That being said, we were not catching the polite “てくれました.” I have updated the answers that throw hints/warnings to catch the polite form. Cheers!

Edit: This is what you should be seeing:

3 Likes

While we’re talking about that, @Pushindawood, I hate, hate, hate that location for that hint. If I could train myself to think of the whole answer before I start typing, it would be ok. But my fingers often start going before I’ve decided the whole thing, and then I’m often like, crap. I don’t know if it wants polite or casual. [backspace, backspace, backspace…] Same with forgetting if it asked for いけない or ならない for the must/must not ones.

Not that I have a better idea. Just saying.

12 Likes

@ctmf We hear you loud and clear! We hope to have an updated hint system available to you soon. Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

5 Likes

I like the idea that once the user starts typing, the hint warps directly above the blank into the furigana space (meanwhile, the blank maintains the width it had while the hint was hovering in it). I thought maybe that’d cause the display to jump around too much, but I guess there’s already room accounted for furigana in the rest of the sentence, right?

In any case, my 2¢ is that the current location is actually super elegant, but it is a pain that it disappears once anything is typed.

4 Likes