5 Minutes for 6 Days every 7 days: A Log

Remember that learning a language is a repetitive thing, you won’t see these things once and have to have it memorized forever. Takes me about 4, 5, 6 times of seeing something on separate occasions until it sinks.

Yeah, getting into reading really helps. NHK Easy news is great. I started with the free tadoku books I found on here

3 Likes

@jrmr50 thank you for the link! the tadoku books look like a great start!

Today I had a better than average review session; I’m actually remembering grammar points, and I did Wanikani reviews as well~

1 Like

How do I remember the grammar better, all I can think of is like examine the sample sentences in the grammar point. I don’t feel like it’s sticking.

2 Likes

I would recommend studying more than five minutes a day. I don’t know your study habits, but if you’re putting five minutes a day, or 30 minutes a week into Bunpro, or just grammar, that’s simply not enough time to understand material.

Ideally spending at least 30 minutes a day for six days a week will yield in a higher outcome of success.

The more time you put into something, the higher of a chance of you understanding what you’re focusing on. I think it’s great you developed a habit, as that really is the hardest part of the journey, but maybe increase the intensity gradually. So next week do ten minutes, fifteen, and just keep adding more time until you find a good balance of comprehension and sanity.

5 Likes

It’s okay to get reviews wrong. It’s part of the process. Getting them wrong helps you remember them - it just doesn’t feel like it at the time.
For optimal ‘remembering stuff’ - you’re supposed to do it multiple times a day, the SRS is geared towards that for new lessons. A new lesson will come up for review at something like 2hours, then 4 hours then 8hours etc. (Personally I do all my reviews for the day or a cap of 30mins first thing in the morning)
I’d echo @rdennison7 comment - though you could try 5 minutes in the morning, 5 at lunch and 5 in the evening to get started.

3 Likes

Thank you @rdennison7 and @jrmr50 for your replies~ I’ll gradually put more time into this~

3 Likes

i thought i would do worse lol
but yay seven day streak!

2 Likes

I honestly felt like I was doing worse, but I felt better compared to yesterday.

I wish there was some kind of visual mnemonic I could use for grammar, but or like a news clip where they use these grammar points. It doesn’t seem like I’m grasping these as quickly as I can with wanikani vocab. I use anime scenes and mnemonics to remember wanikani vocab.

2 Likes

You could search for a sentence using that site and then copypasta it into bunpro. I haven’t used personally but there are a few custom sentence mechanisms.

2 Likes

If you use Youglish, Improve your Japanese pronunciation using YouTube , you can search a grammar point and then it’ll give you video clips of people using that specific point. You could then add a link or something like that to your notes in bunpro.

(I might actually start doing this - I hadn’t thought of it before)

2 Likes

I’m slowly but surely reaching around 100 reviews~

@jrmr50 that’s a good idea! I’ll try putting some grammar points into immersionkit and see what happens.

@Gacee and thank you for recommending this site! It looks really cool!

Edit
I got this badge too!

4 Likes

I keep thinking I do worse than I expected; 50% is better than I expected.

But yea these grammar points aren’t really sticking… I’m kind of just swimming in grammar lol, maybe I should take it slower, or cram N4…

See

Edit:
Actually, maybe I’m better at translating the Japanese grammar into English, but I’m so bad at turning English into Japanese.

Also, me reading the Japanese translations of the grammar points is kinda throwing me off but I so much want to be able to understand it; just because?

2 Likes

I’m trying to keep the reviews below 100; I’m using Immersion Kit to help with seeing grammar points in the real world. I’m also reading Volume 1 of Bocchi, bought from Kinokuniya.

2 Likes

だんだん習慣を習っているよー

3 Likes

Is there a way to cram recent mistakes, or like mistakes in the last week?

I’m on the right track in terms of reviews, but in terms of retention, I think I need to utilize the cram feature. It’d be nice if it wasn’t just available from the review summary page.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet, as my Cram sessions usually involve going to “Practice > Cram > Special > Troubled Grammar”, but maybe you could try “Practice > Cram > Special > Reviewed in last 24hrs”. That seems to be closer to what you’re looking for. I hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

In that picture, see the “Cram 2 Missed Items” for wrong ones in that session

3 Likes

@distantflower and @jrmr50 thank you for sharing your routines, i’ll try them out!

2 Likes

I still feel like I’m failing so much, but my review count is going down~ I intend to use the cram feature for N4 later~

1 Like

im pretty sure as long as your average accuracy is above 50% (and no ghosts are created), your average review count will go down.

2 Likes