い Adjectives - Grammar Discussion

The FAQ at the top of the page and some of the replies above kind of explain what the overall goal of the grammar point is/was. I think now the goal is to just get you aware of what an i-adjective looks like, and it sounds like they’re going to implement conjugation at a later date instead of all at the same time. For now you can probably just remove it from the SRS and review conjugation on your own time via the external links.

My question is about the Fun Fact which states that です after an い-adjective is technically wrong. What is the technically correct way to use an い-adjective in a polite way then? である? でござる ? I suspect it’s not either of those either for a similar reason.

1 Like

Hey @VegasVed !

I apologize for the very late reply! The technically correct way to make an い-adjective is by using しゅうございます. For example, the technically correct way of saying 美味しいです would be 美味しゅうございます, 嬉しいです would be 嬉しゅうございます. Although this is the technically correct way of making an い-adjective polite, it has not been used ever since after the war, because the Japanese Language Council decided that they will allow い-adjective+です. Although this is the correct way, not many Japanese speakers know this rule, and you would most likely never hear normal people use this for of conjugation.

I hope that answers your question!

2 Likes

hi, brand new here, but I think I’m missing something with this. this is one of the first points that I was presented. The others feel pretty simple to understand
の for possession/property of
も for also
それ for that is [near speaker]

but when I got to the quizzes for this it is asking me vocabulary questions, like fill in the correct conjugation for “new” or “expensive” but literally all I have studied so far are grammar points, am I supposed to be memorizing the entire examples tab when I do a grammar point?

1 Like

Welcome to Bunpro!
I checked what sort of questions its asking and it looks like an error, you shouldnt have to memorise the example sentences for any of the points. Im assuming when the grammar point got split up the reviews didnt get changed.
Since you seem to be the person going through this thread @Fuga these are the sorts of questions being asked when i use cram on this point

For these ones there are different versions of the sentences in the examples tab that should have been used

1 Like

I think I would have expected “いです” to be an acceptable answer if it was just trying to make me know the grammar point, but it wants the whole “おいしいです”

And I haven’t studied the vocab for " 美味おい

so I am just getting them all wrong over and over.

Oh goodness. I’m just massivly unobservant. The vocab is right there on the screen. But 'cause I hadn’t studied it and didn’t know it I didn’t recognize what was in the []

sigh sorry folx.

3 Likes

Why does it keep asking me for the past forms of い adjectives for this lesson, when that is its own grammar point and I haven’t added that to my reviews yet?

This is kind of annoying. I get this is a real easy one, but still… If it’s going to ask for it, then it should teach it for that grammar point.

3 Likes

Have the past forms of adjectives being quizzed still not been addressed?

2 Likes

Just got a past form of an adjective for this today.

2 Likes

I too just got asked for the past form of an i adjective today. Even though the correct answer on past tense… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Same here, quizzed on past tense even though it’s neither described in explanation nor has been address in past lessons yet.

1 Like

This will be getting sorted today! Apologies all for the big delay in fixing this! :bowing_man:

2 Likes

All fixed and mixed up the adjectives so there’s not so many of the same thing over and over!

2 Likes

I’m being quizzed about this grammar point without Bunpro providing the exact Japanese word that it wants me to use, which is a bit annoying as the point of this exercise is to know how to conjugate the words. For example I had to fill in “The blanket is hot”, but the word that Bunpro wants me to use, 温かい, seems to mean warm, so it’s a bit confusing why the word isn’t just provided as part of the exercise, especially since there isn’t any explanation why that specific word should be used as opposed to any other alternative.

2 Likes

It was provided before and they’ve said that theyll be fixing it asap, no idea what that time frame is though… - い-Adjective No longer show the word to right? - #2 by Asher

2 Likes

Thank you for providing the info!

1 Like

I’m a little confused about the example phrase 新しい車。 Wouldn’t either -い or -た have to go at the end to make it a correct sentence? I’m thinking either 新しい車だ or 車は新しい。Any thoughts?