Advanced Shiritori

For the basic rules of shiritori, please refer to the first post of this post:

Because of a suggestion from @s1212z I’m opening up this thread for advanced rules. Each time a game ends, we can change the rules if that’s what the person posting wants at the time. As per another post, here are some suggestions of advanced rules:

@s1212z - since this was your idea I think it would be a good idea for you to make the first rules and start us off with the first word.

Note

1. 促音(little っ) as the first kana is a game ender
  2. 拗音 (ex. しゃ、きょ、にゅ) = one kana
3 Likes

Thank you @matt_in_mito !

Let’s try this rule first (see below) and see how if goes. I think trying more than one rule at a time is just too hard and will create dead ends. Maybe we can try “genre” later on if this is a complete failure, haha :upside_down_face:

Just a reminder, words should more more than 2 kana

有効性

ゆうこうせい- effectiveness

2 Likes

OK let’s give this a go then…

精神病

せいしんびょう - a mental illness

2 Likes
病院

びょういん・ Hospital

3 Likes

:scream:

I got distracted and was too late to post. Here is a new one to start it again:

秒進分歩

びょうしんふんぽ- rapid progress

2 Likes

:man_shrugging:

That’s not wrong right?

I think your answer in actually wrong rn?

3 Likes

You’re right, I’m an idiot. I’m breaking all the rules here :man_facepalming:Let’s continue with your entry

因縁

いんねん- fate

3 Likes
燃料

ねんりょう・Fuel

2 Likes

I actually have a t-shirt which I’ve made pretty famous in Mito that says 燃料は酒 :joy:

領収書

りょうしゅうしょ - a receipt

Also, someone please post on the original shiritori thread to keep it going :kissing_heart:

2 Likes
食中毒

しょくちゅうどく・Food poisoning

3 Likes
毒茸

どくきのこ- poisonous mushroom

BTW, do we want to count 拗音s as one or two kana? I have no strong opinion other than I’d like to be consistent.

3 Likes

鋸山

Summary

のこぎりやま – nokogiriyama–beautiful place in Chiba

In normal しりとり you’d go from 電車 to シャレ so I think it should count as one. It’s viewed as one 音 in haiku.

With that I have a question ha ha, does small っ count as a syllable/音? In haiku っ is counted as a full 音… so やった would be 3 音and could be followed by…ったく? (but isn’t a full word, really…although I’ve read it as a stand-alone expression) … but there aren’t many 3音 words/expressions starting with っ. If I wrote 発火 (はっか)for example, there is nothing that starts with っか so it would be game ending, right?

3 Likes
大和言葉

やまとことば-native words from Old Japanese

Haiku rules regarding kana count is best! @matt_in_mito, could you add that in the original entry?

1. 促音(little っ) as the first kana is a game ender
  2. 拗音 (ex. しゃ、きょ、にゅ) = one kana

So I guess 領収書 to 食中毒 was end game but whatever, we’ll just keep going. The idea of adv. shiritori was to push for less common words, not more game endings :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes
飛ばす

とばす・To let fly

3 Likes

Oops, looks like I’m already out of likes! :laughing: guess I’ll get to liking everyone else later.

バスケットボール

Hiragana should be obvious - Basketball.

4 Likes
ボール投げ

ボールげ - playing catch

Usually in regular Shiritori, verbs are avoided because you get too many る endings but I guess it doesn’t matter here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Done. Sorry it took so long, I’ve been in the UK and just got back today.

1 Like

This is the nominalised form of the verb so is totally fine in the context of Shiritori.

投げ技

なげわざ - a throwing move in martial arts

1 Like
災い

わざわい ー calamity/catastrophe

1 Like
賄賂

わいろ - bribe

1 Like