Big Vocab Update! 27/03 - Hints!

Is there a way to turn this off? I don’t really want hints when reviewing grammar, I can’t find a way to disable this in the settings

4 Likes

It seems like it already has been applied to grammar lessons as well. I preferred the old way where the sentence in English would pop up before the hint and I’d like for just that to be an option again. Will that be an option?

EDIT: Huh. It seems like some grammar points have information in the fill-in-the-blank boxes like before, and others don’t. Really don’t like this change.

4 Likes

Reposting my comment from the other thread in here with some additional context. I really dislike this change for grammar.
Will there be an option to use the old functionality? I dislike this so much that it’s making me second guess using Bunpro entirely and I’ve been using it for quite a while now.

I have to say I agree with the three posts above, maybe this is helpful for vocab but I don’t plan to use BunPro for vocab and the “hint” being first in grammar is really messing with the flow I’ve gotten used to for the past two years. Please have a way to go back to the old order of displaying the English/hint combination.

1 Like

Is there a way to turn this off? I don’t really want hints when reviewing grammar, I can’t find a way to disable this in the settings

How did both wanikani and bunpro get destroyed by thoughtless updates in the span of 2 hours

1 Like

atm, it looks like things are back to how they were on grammar. Awesome, thanks.

EDIT: Oh, nvm, I was wrong.

1 Like

Review your “Review English” setting! image

Each of them represent one of the hint levels. Sounds to me like you’re on either Show or Nuance.

3 Likes

@Wanyudo @ggw1776
Thank you for the honest feedback. :bowing_man:

Could you please give us a little more information to help us understand what about the change it is you don’t like?

Is it:

• the change in order?
  • the extra click to get from showing nothing to showing the sentence translation?
  • the info itself?
  • something else?

Hopefully that will help us either make a change or point you to the setting you can adjust to address the issue.

8 Likes

This is for the vocab section, I believe. Though there is some overlap with vocab and grammar point, this update looks like it’s specifically for the vocab sections. However it does seem like it works a lot more like the grammar practice now which might be what your picking up on. :thinking:

This is just my best guess with the information I’m seeing here.

That’s kind of an insensitive comment considering everything Bunpro does is tailored to meeting the needs of the community and not towards lining their own pockets.

4 Likes

I just tried some n5 vocab lessons out just to see what it’s like (it was very cool!). But it seems to have put 7 of the 8 items into the adept srs stage, and 1 of them into the seasoned srs stage. Is this an intended behavior? In the vocab deck settings, it’s set to put new items in srs stage 0

1 Like

lol I just checked WK for the first time today and ahh man, they implemented those awful updates that take away keyboard shortcuts. Just awful. Hopefully someone’s working on a browser extension that brings back the layout and shortcuts, though I’ll have to install that on all the computers I use.

EDIT: Actually, the updates aren’t as bad as I was expecting. Taking away the timeout is a great update.

1 Like

As far as I understand it, there is no setting currently available where it will show you only the English translation without showing the “nuance”, by which I mean the lightbulb element. I think that’s the right terminology for grammar. The nuance can provide too much info and it can make it feel kind of like you’re just memorizing the nuance tip rather than how the grammar functions. As such, just showing the English hint or English sentence without showing the nuance may be better as it gives you a bit to go on but its different for each sentence so you’re still thinking about the grammar itself. Though it also has negatives in that it may cause you to focus on matching the grammar point to the English grammar rather than the context of the sentence.

There are pros and cons to having the nuance before the English and vice versa so I think it comes down to the individual which works best for them. Thus, it would be nice if you could switch between the nuance being first or last. Or even better, I think it would be ideal if you actually separated the English and nuance into separate hints that acted independently with separate settings.

7 Likes

Exactly what @hexashadow13 said, though I think they switched the “nuance” and “hint” meanings in relation to how they’re used now.

I’m used to just seeing the English word/phrase that’s missing from the sentence (which I think is now called “nuance”?). The “hint”, which before the update was usually the last thing you would see when toggling, was something I relied on only if I was stuck or was getting a “can you say it another way” message :slight_smile:

Now it’s the first thing that shows up which is way too much information for me. I tried toggling the Review English settings, but that only changes whether you see only the Hint or both the Hint and the English word, where what we want is to be able to only see the English word when the review first comes up.

I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Edit: now if the Hint was in Japanese that would make it much more interesting, but as it stands it’s just what we used to see last showing up as first which is why it can throw people off.

9 Likes

I love the improvements overall. I am very glad you are attempting to make it more natural to make the monolingual transition.

I am not sure If like the new order of hints. Will have to experiment and see if I like it. It may be beneficial to have the order that they appear as an option itself.

Either way.

ありがとうございます☀️

3 Likes

Just my 2 cents but:

I totally get everyone’s hangups with the new ordering of the hints/English translation.

However why we made this choice will make a lot more sense when there are more Japanese hints available. Especially for Grammar.

^ With that being said, as always, we are watching all the feedback related to this closely.
Any ideas and feedback are always welcome!

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t see myself using the Japanese hints. It all feels like a bit much for what I’m trying to do with the study, which is to learn specifically what type of grammar particle goes there. I usually read the sentence in Japanese, then read the English to confirm what I read was correct. Then I’ll try and figure out what needs to go in the blank.

Having the extra hint or the hint in Japanese, that doesn’t do anything for me. The way it was was fine, and the sooner that option becomes available again the better. Right now I feel like I’m actively avoiding half the screen with my eyes 'cause I don’t wanna see the hint, but I do want to see the sentence in English.

4 Likes

Just wanna add a positive comment:

I just requested Japanese hints for grammar a couple of days ago and bam they are suddenly promised. Once those are implemented I am certain I will prefer having the Japanese nuance displayed first.

I don’t do vocab on this site but the update looks great for those that do.

3 Likes

This exactly is the problem. I don’t want my eyes to gravitate towards this English and then figure out the needed grammar point just by unconsciously remembering its hint. If English and the non-lightbulb hint can be turned off, I don’t see why this can’t be turned off either

6 Likes

I really enjoy the hint system, it allows for more japanese practice. my only issue is the hints do use words that I do not know yet. would there a way to be able to click the word and it gives a brief definition of it?

Take for example if I did not know the word “後で” or afterwards, when i click it it only shows me the furigana, and the kanji but not the meaning so I’d see a box saing 後で:あとで but no meaning for the word. it’s a small nitpick, but maybe adding a link to the word’s vocab page (if it has one) would save me a trip or two to the ol’ 辞書.

here’s a full hint from one of my reviews:
2枚の板を使って雪に覆われた坂を滑り降りるスポーツ。
I’m not sure of what the kanji “覆” means, and the hiragana does not help much. so i go to click on it only to get just the 覆 kanji with お hiragana as an explaination. the rest of the box is empty. why not use a bit of that space to add a <spoiler english </spoiler (purposely broke the code so it can show otherwise it’s just not shoing anythin lol.) answer?

2 Likes