Big Vocab Update! 27/03 - Hints!

Hi everyone!

Today we would like to take the chance to announce a big change to studying vocab on Bunpro, one we had been planning since its inception, but had kept (partially) under wraps. This feature is… Hints! :question:

:sunglasses: Well, Not Just Any Hints :sunglasses:

Our overarching philosophy is to help learners build confidence in their ability and understanding of Japanese, and get to the point where they can start to make the transition to consuming Japanese content and also begin the transition to monolingual studying (doing all of their study in Japanese).

Being a place that a lot of students are able to practice their understanding of Japanese sentences as a whole, Bunpro is a tool that allows people to get close to the monolingual transition, but doesn’t offer much support beyond that point. Until now…

The new hint system for vocab is designed to ease users into the monolingual transition in a way that helps students but does not hinder those that aren’t quite ready for it yet.

:clipboard: The Traditional Learning Approach to The Monolingual Transition :clipboard:

In many circumstances, one of the first things that is recommended to students when learning new words beyond the beginner level is to look up the meaning of that word in the target language. This serves a few purposes. Some of those purposes are:

• It gives the learner a sense of how someone that uses that language actually understands that word.
  • It gives the learner a chance to learn some new words that may be associated with the word that they are learning in the description.
  • It reduces the time spent swapping between their native language and the target language.

All of these things are steps that facilitate further natural understanding within the target language, and more than anything, facilitate the ability to describe!

:thinking: The Ability to Describe? :thinking:

The ability to describe is one of the things that we believe is what holds people back from using the vocabulary that they know. What we mean by this is that often when in a real conversation, it is not until someone needs to describe the meaning of a word that they realize that they either don’t fully understand it, or don’t know the vocabulary that would be best suited to that purpose. For example, there is a difference between knowing the word ‘準備’ (Preparation), and being able to actually describe what ‘Preparation’ means in Japanese.

This is where the hint approach to learning vocab will come in.

:dizzy: The Hint Approach to Learning Vocab :dizzy:

Basically, what we have done is created a sort of ‘easy’ monolingual type dictionary for our vocab entries (starting with N5) that give a basic description of the target word. This description is available both in Japanese and in English, but will always be represented in Japanese first in the hint cycle to encourage use of the system.

Here is a bit of a preview of what it looks like.

riddlehint-final

• First comes the Japanese hint/definition.
  • Next is the translation of that hint if anything seems a bit confusing, or is beyond someone’s current level.
  • Next comes the translation of the target word itself in English.
  • Last is the translation of the whole sentence.

This order has been specifically organized from most to least useful in terms of being a good indicator of how well a student knows a specific word.

This style of cloze (fill-in-the-blank) vocab learning should allow for each and every single vocab review to turn into a chance to read a sentence in Japanese to further understand/reinforce the meaning of the word that is being learned.

No more :infinity: possible answers

An additional benefit of this system is that it allows you to actually fill in the sentence with the answer, without needing to use the English translation. One of the key issues with a sentence like

___にってきます!

is that it is impossible to know what we expect you to answer with. However, by providing the following hints:

• や、くさなどであふれている公共こうきょう。スポーツようのフィールドや、ピクニックができるスペースがあることがおおい。
  • A public place that is filled with trees, plants, and often has sporting fields or picnic areas.

It becomes possible to answer the question while also giving you an opportunity for more practice. This particular word happens to be 公園こうえん, (Park).

:muscle: How This System Will Evolve :muscle:

Basically, this system can be thought of as somewhere between a learner’s dictionary and a crossword puzzle style hint. We want students to think about the answer, but we also want the desired word to be as clear as possible.

Beyond expanding it to N4+ vocab and beyond, we will be adding this type of Japanese hint to all of our current grammar on the website, so that those who wish to study 100% in Japanese are able to do just that.

Each and every one of these hints have been written and translated by a mix of both English and Japanese native speakers in a way that will get as close to the meaning as we can without writing a whole paragraph. Additionally, care has been taken to make frequent use of N5/N4 grammar points as part of these simple explanations, so that reading and memorizing them will double as additional grammar practice/exposure.

:pinching_hand: A Final Touch :pinching_hand:

Lastly, we have added one more additional feature to vocab cloze reviews. This is the inclusion of the word type in the tense field, as can be seen with the [Noun] here.

This is supposed to be a quality of life change more than anything, as the main purpose of remembering a vocab word is remembering the word itself, rather than going through every possible answer in your head. We feel that this will be particularly helpful for things like phrases and collocations, where it may not be obvious at first glance that the answer could be more than one word, or a combination of a word and a particle. It will also highlight whether something is a な-Adjective or い-Adjective, or whether it is a う-Verb or a る-Verb.

:partying_face: Thanks for Everything! :partying_face:

With the addition of the hints and tense information, we feel that vocab study on Bunpro is slowly but surely taking on the form that we envisioned when this feature was first introduced. That is to say, a place where you can learn new vocab while simultaneously challenging yourself in your reading and grammar comprehension, leading to one skill sharpening the other.

Please feel free to leave any and all feedback about this new system so that we can continue to improve it, and we would like to thank you all as always for helping us continue to develop a product that seeks to push the boundaries of what a single tool can do.

87 Likes

This looks pretty cool. Thanks for doing all this!

4 Likes

This is awesome, looking forward to trying it out. Thank you for all your hard work!

4 Likes

It is just what I wanted, a lot of thanks

4 Likes

I’m a bit confused, so even though this is called a vocab update this is only for grammar points right?
And it kinda just looks like it’s just giving you the hints that you get when you get an answer close to correct but not completely correct and the site is trying to steer you towards the accepted answer. I’m just a bit confused. What exactly happened? Did something new get added or did you all just flesh out a feature?

3 Likes

I’m thinking they started rolling this out and it broke the hint system for grammar a bit.

8 Likes

First of all this will be great, once I get used to it.

But I’ll prolly always toggle everything on before submitting, because my pidgeon brain thought the answer was school :wink:

3 Likes

This is for all vocab (Only N5 at the moment). You will be able to see these hints while doing reviews in the cloze fill-in-the-blank style.

At the moment the grammar hints are only available in English, but vocab now have both Japanese and English. Japanese will be getting added to the grammar hints soon.

3 Likes

すげ〜!そんなに便利でしやすいね。。。嬉しいほど言葉がない!

ところで、クロスワードパズルが全く大好きです!

4 Likes

Oh, this is cool!

3 Likes

This is amazing! Thank you so much!!

Unfortunately, it’s only available for N5 :cry: (I almost, ALMOST, wish I was starting out again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

When can we expect this feature to be completed for all levels?

3 Likes

Ok this might be a weird question. I’ve been using bunpro for a while now and am following the grammar schedule mostly. Am currently in N4. And I have never come across any vocabs. Is there a different lesson schedule for vocabs? And where is it?

5 Likes

you have to enable beta in the settings then you can choose vocab ‘decks’

4 Likes

At the moment, our plans are to get it done for grammar (the Japanese hints), then we will progress with each level from N4 onwards accordingly. It’s a bit tough to give an exact estimate, but I would say that we will fairly comfortably be able to get everything through to N1 done by the year end if all our other ongoing projects maintain the same pace that they are going.

4 Likes

Is there a way to turn this off? I don’t really want hints when reviewing grammar, I can’t find a way to disable this in the settings

4 Likes

Crossing my fingers that’s the case :crossed_fingers:.

1 Like

alright you got me, i’ll start doing my vocab here too

4 Likes

This is AWESOME!! But its always showing every hint, and I can’t find a way to make it show the japanese hint first?

3 Likes

SUUUUUUPER excited for this! <3

3 Likes

Would it be possible to add some padding between the lightbulb and the text of the hint? It looks kinda smashed together in my opinion, at least in English. The Japanese example in the main post looks fine.

6 Likes