Bunpro Mobile Apps

Could it be that it’s because i’m using a “+” sign in my email address?

1 Like

Good point. There was a problem some long time ago with special characters but should not be anymore.
I’ll check that

1 Like

That seems to happen when the app has some reviews that seem to be inconsistent with what the server returns and is unable to remove them.

I’ll have another look into it and be a bit more aggressive deleting review that are inconsistent.

2 Likes

i too, android, have the same problem. i generally use my pc to do may reviews since its easier to do and i greatly think that it’s not a big deal but why not make it great right:)

right now i have 0 reviews, done them 15 minutes ago but app says i have 49.

i’ve never had 49.

1 Like

It looks like the “remaining reviews when there are none” has been a bug for years and no progress has been made, but I think I have a bit of insight that may help the bug squashing.

It seems like the number goes up by one each time you leave a review in the middle, instead of completing it. I didn’t have the bug until I did that for the first time, and it seems to consistently happen since then.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I’m getting alot iOS crashes lately, is there a way to get refresh on the Test Flight before the expiration date? I even get crash alerts even when the app isn’t even open.

Edit: Refreshing through the Test Flight link and hitting ‘accept’ seems to have worked

1 Like

I’ve also been having crashes. Will see if reinstalling through the link helps.

1 Like

The problems came back later even after I hit ‘accept’. I had to delete the app and reinstall via the link and it seemed to work much better.

1 Like

Checking back in, I’m still getting crashes in the background several times a day even after reinstalling the app.

1 Like

I made a really simple Android app for BunPro: https://github.com/yellowire/BunPro-FunPro

It connects via a user’s API key (so never even sees your password) and communicates with BunPro’s API. The BunPro API is still really new, so there aren’t a whole lot of things you can do with it yet – so the app I made simply displays when next reviews are available/ # of reviews available now, next hour, and next day, and notifies you when new reviews are available.

I’m still very new to Android development, so it’s really not that fancy, and definitely could be made to run more efficiently – but I wanted to put it out there for anyone who’s interested in testing it out or improving it. I don’t mean to step on any toes at BunPro (the app they’ve already made and continue working on is most assuredly much more robust than this), but WaniKani has a ton of awesome third party stuff made by users and it really adds to the WK experience. So, I wanted to contribute to the BunPro ecosystem. :slightly_smiling_face:

Feedback is very welcome, but 1. please be gentle! :grimacing: and 2. my BunPro free trial just ended two days ago so there’s a lot I unfortunately can’t test anymore. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

@timfreilly, @s1212z

The crashes seem to be related to a change Apple did in iOS 13 for background app refresh.

I tried implementing the new approach for iOS 13 but ended up getting no background refresh at all in tests and reported that to Apple .

The system should give the app a few seconds in the background to check for updated reviews but using the usual way (the old one) almost always gets terminated by the system ones the app gets some time which results in a crash.

I may have to turn it off for now and try to get the new approach running somehow…

Edit: yeah about 4000 crashes in a system BackgroundService framework…

4 Likes

@mrnoone @Jake When is a native Bunpro app with search functionality that works, the crashes that happen if you go to different menus too fast removed (I’m on Android), offline functionality, and the review counts fixed? That’s all the issues I have with the app, but that alone is enough to keep me away from using the mobile app regularly.

1 Like

I guess it’s planned that the iOS app will show the new N5 and N4 grammar points added to the main page

1 Like

I installed the update that came out a few days ago and I’m still getting plenty of background crashes. Would def prefer for background updates to be shut off for the time being rather than bugging me with crash messages (from background) 10-15 times a day. iOS is my main way of reviewing with BunPro so it’d be a big bummer for me to uninstall.

2 Likes

About to be released :slight_smile:

@emucat the app updates that automatically once a week, so maybe you already have it.
An option to trigger a manual update will be added shortly

2 Likes

Is there an APK for this? I can’t seem to get my phone to PC connection working properly ^^

Ah, bummer! Ok: Just created an apk and uploaded to Google Drive - FunPro-debug.apk

It’s the debug build rather than the release build so that whoever wants to can debug it, but let me know if that causes you any trouble.

Let me know what you think! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the APK!

One thing - I think this app would be a billion times better if there was just some way to do grammar points in the app natively, no web view or annoying websites, etc, with the grammar sentences, typing, etc, all happening in the app itself with the same look/feel as the rest of the app. Is this an API limitation? Perhaps an API update could allow third party apps to have Bunpro reviews baked into them @mrnoone @Jake @Pushindawood ^^^

2 Likes

Glad you got it working!

Yes, I totally agree-- but as you guessed, it’s an API thing. Basically all that the public API lets you access is what you see in the app’s dashboard. :confused: Maybe in the future…

1 Like

As far as I know the only thing missing is the correct question with all it’s possible answers and nuances for a given review.

1 Like