Bunpro Mobile Apps

@Rion I’m on iOS 13.1, latest release and I had the same issue as @seanblue but it doesn’t happen every time. It’s hard to get it to trigger.

I had at least a few short freezes, but no crashes.

I suspect it‘s actually the update for the whole dataset that just allocates to much memory at once and if a device has not enough left, it crashes.

Unfortunately there is no batch import prior to iOS 13 <_<

I‘ll come up with something

2 Likes

I’ve also started getting this bug all of a sudden. It started this morning went away for a hour or so and now it back again.

iPhone 6
iOS 12.4.1

Other apps open:
Safari
Japanese version 4.5 (dictionary app)

1 Like

The app now crashes several times while loading new reviews. I’m not exaggerating. If I do anything at all besides leave the phone alone to refresh, it crashes every single time. Completely unusable at times.

If I let it sit there on the main screen after a fresh boot of the app, and don’t touch any other section of the app it might load new reviews.

Using Safari to visit the site is faster and stable.

1 Like

Do you happen to have a lot of reviews?
By a lot I don’t mean just the once you get for the next session, but as a whole.

I can imagine that having a lot of the can cause such problems.

Since the app does not really use them for anything but figuring out that a grammar point has a review, I’ll change that system to not save them at all.

I have every grammar point from N4 through N1 in my review queue. Only a handful from N5.

The most recent app update, released today, is lagging, extremely slow to register touches and typing until it appears to have “finished loading something”

It’s crashed 3 times within 5 minutes of updating it.

Sorry the timing was bad.
The update yesterday had nothing to do with the current problems.

I’ll release a new one once I have something stable.

1 Like

I found a few problems but I’m not quite sure if they they are responsible for the crashes.

1 random crash still exists and I still don’t know why it is crashing since it happens only sometimes (maybe a race condition I have to hunt)

The GUI was updated far too often, so I throttled that down a bit.

The Grammar database (the “finished loading something”) also does not need to be updated as frequent as it was until now, so I changed that as well.

I will add an option to manually trigger an update in an upcoming seed.

1 Like

Most recent app update crashes within 5 seconds of startup every time.

Seems to be fixed after I deleted then reinstalled the app.

Edit: It’s back to crashing on start-up every time. Loads for 5 or so seconds then crashes.

I can also confirm that the app is also crashing every time, on a SE running iOS Public Beta 13.2 with about 200 reviews. Weirdly enough, it can sometimes “recover” through the app switcher, but seems to do so less than 10% of the time.

I’m a bit confused right now.

I have some crashes related to the loading of reviews that I simply cannot reproduce on my devices… I’m now trying to recreate it with every grammar point added to the review queue and still I get smooth results.

I’ll try to organize an iPhone SE for further testing, an XS seems to just have to much power or memory.
I actually suspect a spike in memory being the cause but monitoring memory consumption adds up to about 25 MP which is pretty low and cannot be the cause.

I’m really sorry that this is being such a headache and such a poor experience to you guys :worried:

5 Likes

Organized and iPhone SE, will start debugging :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m on an iPhone XR, latest stable iOS release. Still crashes on start-up. Just can’t update reviews.

I also have a good amount of Self Study sentences added too. If that might be related.

I’ve heard iOS 13 is much more aggressive about clearing memory. I’ve experienced YouTube “refreshing” back to the main page even with 1-3 apps in the background. It seems to happen ~10-20% the time, where it never did before on iOS 12 and below.

Sorry that I can’t be of help, literally know nothing about iOS development and programming.

2 Likes

Wow, a huge amount of crash reports came in and I now know where the crash happens.
I’ll upload a new build, but since I still was not able to reproduce it, I can only hope that it fixes it ._.

3 Likes

@Rion

No more crashing, great job! Thank you so much for tracking that down.

Minor suggestion, but could you make it so the view stops scrolling down when you enter an answer? The actual sentence gets cut off, and it’s annoying to have to keep scrolling up. I’ve been able to slightly work around this with some sentences by setting the font size to 12px, but long sentences still will display this behavior.

@echu
Glad to hear that the app works for you now :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the review section at the moment is a website and I have little control what happens there.
I’d like to implement a native way of doing reviews especially for supporting doing them offline, but there is no model for questions at the moment and priorities are on completing content for N1 and so on so I hope you guys can stay tuned a little bit longer :sweat_smile:

@cosezu
Did the last update have the same effect for you?

3 Likes

@Rion yes, it’s working great now. No crashes so far. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Happy to read that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The explanatory text for the grammar point appears to have some unescaped HTML in the additional notes section. Please see the below screenshot.

2 Likes