Cram 2.0 [Beta]

the one big drawback this update has, is that normal reviews feel now completely outdated and inefficient. i would love to have listing/reading mode as choice for my normal srs reviews pretty please.

this is bunpro 2.0 as a whole for me. lucky are all those who start japanese from scratch with this right from the beginning.

7 Likes

Bunpro does it once again! I usually hate change, and dread it when things get “updated”, but thought I’d give this a try and wow, what can I say?! It is amazing! I now try to follow up every review session with a short listening cram session and it’s like I’ve been given a whole new study method to play with! It’s amazing and just exactly what I needed (without knowing it)! Well done to everyone at Bunpro, it is really superb! Thank you!

8 Likes

Wow, what a stellar update. The selection is nice but pales in comparison to the new MODES. This is great for cramming in a different format than just spoiling the regular SRS reviews for yourself!

8 Likes

Hey! Thank you for reporting this and providing the follow up information.
It should be patched now. Please give it a try and let us know!

4 Likes

Thank you soo much @Jake ! I am so excited about this new feature!

The number of questions are definitely more in line with what I was expecting! I did notice one more minor thing though, I checked all three modes and noticed the “Review” mode has 1 more question than the rest. Personally this is not a big deal to me but thought you’d want to know.

1. Reading: 1459
  2. Review: 1460
  3. Listening: 1459

My settings are the same as before:

Thanks again!

4 Likes

Hi there! Lurker here, but just wanted to say thanks for the awesome update! I just started using the (older) cram feature fairly recently but am really loving the update. Love the reading/listening options and that unfinished sessions can be resumed later on.

I noticed that suspending a session (either by “finishing up” or navigating away in my browser) doesn’t count towards “Session Count” on my stats page. I use the session count to (roughly) track my reviews, so it would be helpful to (have the option to) count suspended sessions, especially since I plan to use the new “Complete Mode” to go through everything.

(Also, I noticed that the total/correct/incorrect counts for crammed items on the stats page don’t update after sessions in Cram 2.0. I’m guessing this will be replaced by the upcoming cram stats page eventually?)

Thanks so much!

8 Likes

Just tried Cram 2.0 for Ghosts. Excellent. Well done, Bunpro, and thank you.

6 Likes

Hi, sorry haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if its already mentioned.

I’d like to be able to replay the audio and don’t seem able to

4 Likes

Ah, there’s an invisible button when I mouse over

4 Likes

You can use the P key for now. It should replay the audio. I will look into the play button issue.

@meery Thank you for pointing that out. It isn’t integrated into the stats page yet.

4 Likes

I have been thinking about this, could a different key be used or at least be optioned in to this function. As it is, its on the opposite Side of the keyboard as the answer buttons which is frustrating from an accessibility point of view. The ‘R’ or ‘E’ key are in much more natural positions for one handed review.

2 Likes

I may have missed a setting or something but just incase:

• Auto reveal info (Grammar definition dropdown) doesn’t seem to work in cram
  • Adding Auto reveal English Sentence for the reading cram reviews would be great
3 Likes

Godlike update. I used to use cram to just revise absolutely everything but it did feel half-assed and barebones. Now its got an impressive feature set. Best thing is that listening mode. Like many, my weakness is listening. Things often just get mashed up together when I’m trying to listen to speech, unable to pick out bits of grammar, thinking its instead maybe a word I’m unfamiliar with.

6 Likes

The listening feature needs a single click way to show the meaning of the whole sentence in English to check I really did understand it. Or am I missing it?

Great update though. I am much more likely to use the cram feature for the listening practice alone! Thank you!

4 Likes

Good catch! We noticed this the other day, should have it fixed super shortly

Currently you can cycle through the English via the Hint button on the lower left during reviews, but we talked about this earlier today and agreed that it wasn’t really optimal. Will internally test it a bit on Monday, but I think the best solution would just be to have the English information automatically show (in Reading/Review modes) once you hit your answer selection key. For Listening, we would have in place a hotkey ‘S’ to expand upon all English so when you’re ready to see it (after reading the JP text), it’s all there for you. You’d still have the ability to cycle via Hint if you wanted to though.

Awesome suggestion, we’ll probably use R and have it ready hopefully by Monday or so!

Outside of this, there is one “minor” change we’ve internally discussed that we’re likely to make, but it won’t be live until after JLPT just so we don’t mess up anyone’s study rhythm after using cram for the past few days.

Essentially, we’re going to change how self-grading works just a tiny bit. Instead of hypothetically pressing ‘Good’ twice, we’re going to initially have a ‘Show Answer’ button (which will replace the first set of AGAIN | HARD | GOOD) that the user can either press with the 1-2-3 keys, or via ENTER. Assuming it’ll work the way we’ve envisioned it, if the user hits 3 on the initial Show Answer stage, the 3 button prompt will automatically look like this once the three buttons show up with in the answered state.

From there, the user can just hit 3 again and they’ll be on their way. We felt like the current way may be a bit unclear, and this helps to simplify it a lot more. This is a little hard to explain in writing haha, but I’m fairly confident it’ll be a welcomed change. After JLPT, assuming we go along with this, we’ll have the change ready for beta testing to get some feedback from you all on it. Nothings ever quite set in stone with stuff in Beta, which is half of the fun of doing stuff like this IMO!

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback and suggestions, it’s helping make this updated feature better day by day. Feel free to keep throwing any and all ideas, suggestions or complaints our way! We’d love to hear them.

5 Likes

Great cram update, tried it out a bit already. :slight_smile:
One small thing that’s hopefully easy to add is a shuffle functionality. (unless that’s already a feature like the last time I was complaining :P) I was trying to cram the grammar points from N4-N2 to prepare a bit for the N2. This yields a list of ~600 items, but instead of randomly giving one it starts from N4 and goes to N2.
It’d be great if one could shuffle the items being reviewed to simulate real reading or listening better.

1 Like

Did it exhaust all of N4 before going onto N3 then N2? I did N4 + N3 yesterday for testing and I noticed too that oddly my first like 30ish reviews were all N4 and then it kind of was randomized there. Thought it was just insanely odd luck :joy: But yeah, any more information you have on this will be super helpful, looks like there is something janky going on that we’ll have to get to the bottom of.

Alright, I just did the first 3 reviews or something and those were some of the earlier N4 grammar points, so I assumed it would keep doing that.
I tried it with N1-N5 just now, and it took like ~30 reviews to get to the first N4 and ~60 reviews to get to the first N3 point with no N1 or N2 appearing.
Not sure how this works, but it seems to go through the sets in bunches as you described.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the added info! I’ll pass it along, hopefully nothing too crazy but this is why beta testing exists hahaha. Sorry about the slight inconvenience; if you want, you can switch back to the old cram style until then, your call.

3 Likes

I know it’s been mentioned, but yeah the cram 2.0 needs a better shuffle algorithm. I’ve tried a few times loading up : Reading: N3 - L1- All sentences = The order is almost the same each time and similar grammar points are right next to each.

To add to the shuffle function though, it would be cool if there was maybe an aswer for ‘Skip’ which moves that question into the queue (Could also just reshuffle the remaining, and move onto the next question)

3 Likes