Create your own sentences?

I’ve been using Bunpro for over half a month now and I see value in it, but one thing that would really help is if we were asked to create Japanese sentences… not just fill in a little bit in pre-made sentences. Is there another site that is actually good for this? I don’t feel like I’m going to really learn the grammar well otherwise.

Try duolingo and you’ll discover why this just doesn’t work. There’s too many ways to express the same thing. You’d spend more time frustrated that your perfectly acceptable answer wasn’t accepted than you would learning.

1 Like

It’s not exactly what you’ve asked for, but writing in this thread every so often using the grammar points you’ve learned could help with your understanding of the grammar points. There are people there that will help you if you make mistakes.

Duolingo has actually significantly improved the amount of possible sentences you can write, so it’s actually pretty good these days. But know that that has taken years and a large amount of feedback from hundreds of thousands of users, something which BunPro hasn’t had yet.

An algorithm that can interpret sentences in such a clear way, and determine whether the answer was “close enough” is actually quite complex and will take a lot of effort to make. Balancing that with the benefit it will create, I can imagine that this is something they will not consider for a long while.

1 Like

Sounds like a mess given that BP doesn’t teach vocab so you’re left with a system that doesn’t work at all. Given the amount of grammar points on here and the size of the team anything else would be a giant waste of limited time imo

3 Likes

I prefer engaging with natives if you want to create sentences. First, it’s alot more interesting with self expression along with real life application than just doing exercises. Plus, I trust a native to understand nuances far more than algorithms or advanced learners. If you go to WK, I prefer the Japanese only section (beginner or advanced), at least Mami checks in occasionally and generously corrects sentences and gives feedback. Otherwise, you can make a friend through partners exchange or italki tutor (which can be used as a talking point for lesson structure or grammar lessons).

3 Likes