Feedback - Bug Reports

Does 何も belong there in that sentence? Feels to me like it should be どうしても instead.

@lopicake

Fixed :+1:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that make it “no matter how, it cannot be destroyed” rather than “nothing can destroy it.”

I just did the lesson/grammar point for あげる in N5, and found two example sentences with grammar from N4. I sent error reports directly on the page, but I never know what happens with those and/or if they reach you all. So this is just further notice. (sentence #5 and #8)

2 Likes

I just did the lesson/grammar point for あげる in N5, and found two example sentences with grammar from N4. I sent error reports directly on the page, but I never know what happens with those and/or if they reach you all. So this is just further notice. (sentence #5 and #8)

The errors are fixed! :+1:

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks!

3 Likes

I thought I’d link to this post here, to make sure it comes to attention. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This answer mysteriously cycles to 作っていこう, and also didn’t accept しようじゃないか with じゃ in place of では.

2 Likes

@MissDagger Thank you for sharing the post above. We are looking into what might be causing the issue. Cheers!

@Kai Very mysterious indeed! All fixed. Thank you for pointing this out to us. Cheers!

3 Likes

For the sake of “textbook” correctness, shouldn’t this actually be 着られる since 着る is an ichidan verb? I realize though that ら抜き言葉 is a thing (for potential verbs, not passive verbs), and 着れる even has its own dictionary entry at jisho.org.

Still, I think it’d be better to only show [着る] as the hint, or maybe even [着る: Potential] and allow both 着られない and 着れない to be accepted in the answers.

Edit:

Wouldn’t 田代島は sound better here?
Also, 多い can’t be used directly with people; it needs to be 多くの人がいる instead. Makes me wonder if the same applies to other things that いる…

2 Likes

The alternative answers have been added.
We intended the sentence to be slangish, but forgot to add the proper grammatical, non-slangish answer :grinning:

Sorry for the inconvenience :bowing_man:

Wouldn’t 田代島 は sound better here?
Also, 多い can’t be used directly with people; it needs to be 多くの人がいる instead. Makes me wonder if the same applies to other things that いる…

This is interesting topic :star_struck:

It is not clear why, but 多い expresses only the amount but not attributes for some reason.
In other words, it cannot be used like a normal adjective to directly modify a noun, but only as predicate.

Normal adjective:
大きい車です。
車は大きいです。

Not normal and evil 多い:
車は多いです。 ✓
多い車です。X

There is an exception though - relative clauses.
猫が多い There are many cats.
猫が多いことから - from the fact that there are many cats
多い is not directly modifying こと, it is only a predicate of the relative clause.

So in other words:
You can say: 車が多い町 (city in which there are many cars)
but you cannot say: 多い町 X, in that case you have to use の noun - 多くの

Think of it as an exception.

2 Likes

Thanks for the breakdown!
It looks like proper usage of 多い could get its own grammar point here, haha.

(Edit: Possibly even ら抜き言葉 too, come to think of it. It’d be good to formally acknowledge the fact that it exists and is widely-used… I don’t believe my textbook even mentioned it.)

1 Like

Actually this is a good idea. :star_struck:

Added to the very long list :grinning::+1:

3 Likes

The structure shows that this grammar can go directly after a verb, so I don’t see the purpose of nominalizing 始める in this sentence. Is the の necessary? Does it change the meaning?

1 Like

Forum links from the grammar detail page don’t work. Clicking on the forum icon next to the “add note” field doesn’t do anything (Android, chrome)

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

The sense is basically the same.
のにこしたことはない is technically grammatically correct but rarely used (especially in conversations).
So のless variant is more natural.

I have tweaked the example . :+1:

Thank you for the feedback :bowing_man:

2 Likes

The usage of までに here should make the English say, “…contact me again by tomorrow.”
まで indicates the extent of a span of time, then the に following it means “at some point” within that span of time.

3 Likes

Do you need は after 冬?
I always thought a winter break was just 冬休み.

2 Likes

And you are right.

冬は休みのたびにスキーに行っています。
I go skiing every break in winter.
冬休みのたびにスキーに行っています。
I go skiing during the winter vacation every year.

The translation has been fixed :+1:

3 Likes

It has been fixed!

2 Likes

Found this weird box on the N5 grammer point about たくさん

2 Likes