Feedback - Bug Reports

The study/review buttons on the home page are looking really weird for me:

Happening on both Chrome and Firefox.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for all those details!

Weā€™ve pushed an update just now that should fix this issue.
Please let us know again if it persists for you and weā€™ll continue our investigation šŸ™‡ā€ā™‚ļø

1 Like

Hi there!
Sorry again to send you on a wild goose chase ā€“ but are you able to try it out on a different browser on your Android for me please (sorry if youā€™ve already tried this)?

Iā€™ve never heard of Kiwi browser, but upon investigation and the source files of that project havenā€™t been touched in 4 years. The LocalStorage API Iā€™m using is much older than that but testing a different Android browser is probably a good start ā€“ an up-to-date Chrome installation (if you have one) would be ideal.

Also curious to hear what browser/OS @Mapletree was on when they encountered this bug.

@flatstan @hx9 @Ayla @amberglade @c1

Hi all!
Iā€™ve attempted a fix on the Forecast daylight savings bug.
Please let me know if itā€™s fixed for you!

1 Like

Unfortunately the issue persists. Iā€™m sharing a screenshot of my deck settings, if it helps:

As you can see, I have them set to ā€œTranslation Questions/Manual Inputā€ yet I keep getting the self evaluation questions on new words. The exception is the N3 Deck is set to Cloze, but that one is working fine. My issues are with the N2 and N1 Decks. I have to click the button at the bottom every time after adding the new words in order for the settings to apply to them.

Another thing Iā€™m doing is Iā€™m opening 30 tabs, one per word, so that I can study them before I start the SRS process. Just mentioning it in case it matters.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome back to the forums. This should be fixed now!
It was a weird negative number bug.

1 Like

on the mobile app, it says Iā€™ve completed everything and I canā€™t learn anything new when I literally just started but it only does this on mobile not desktop for some reason. Iā€™ve made two accounts to double check and itā€™s still doing this so idk whatā€™s going on. I just click learn on the mobile app and this pops up and it just keeps showing this menu all the way up to N1 and just repeats the cycle so you canā€™t learn anything.

4 Likes

I encountered a strange bug when using Bunpro on PC today. Iā€™m using Google Chrome as my browser. From the dashboard, my daily learn goals use the wrong decks.

Currently, Iā€™m learning using the N5 Grammar Deck, N5 Vocab Deck, and the N4 Vocab Deck. However, on my dashboard it shows up as N1 Grammar Deck, and it says Iā€™ve finished the N5 Vocab Deck. Visiting the decks page, everything looks fine. I did try deleting and re-adding decks to my learn queue, but that didnā€™t seem to help.

If I start my learn queue from the decks page, that batch of reviews is fine, but it tries to make the N1 deck my next item in the queue.

5 Likes

Getting a lot of weird things on decks, including it saying Iā€™m most of the way through N1 Grammar, when I actually havenā€™t started it, and saying Iā€™ve done way more than the total possible number of items in N5 Vocab (which somehow became my secondary deck for some reason, despite finishing it long ago):

6 Likes

Can you please visit that Deckā€™s page and tell me what happens?

Other users are reporting this bug too.

@RKstudios @tanglechuu @Mexiken @Airibun @SoulSearchingPuppet

Should be fixed now!

3 Likes

Yep, seems to be working again!

1 Like

Another thing Iā€™m doing is Iā€™m opening 30 tabs, one per word, so that I can study them before I start the SRS process. Just mentioning it in case it matters.

Ahhhh that solves it thenā€¦
In this case it matters a lot!

Reason why it's seemingly broken

If you open a Vocab/Grammar in a different tab, it forgets what Deck it was part of, so when you add it to your Reviews, it will use your global default (for you, itā€™s Cloze).

Will discuss this with Jake, but might be as easy as adding a ā€˜sourceā€™ to the URL (e.g. /vocabs/ę—„ęœ¬?deck_id=8), so that when adding it to Reviews, it knows which Deckā€™s settings to use.

And actually now that I think about it, you already told me that you use the Vocab Search feature, which will also open stuff in a separate tab with no Deck content :thinking: :sob:

Anyway, in the meantime, unfortunately youā€™ll have to add these items manually using the Add to Reviews button on the Deckā€™s individual page.

1 Like

Hey @EnvyWitchh!

We are working on the fix which will be released soon!
At the moment, you can fix it by going to content tab ā†’ decks and tap on deck you want to learn then in the window that opens tap on ā€œgearā€ icon and select this deck as ā€œmainā€. Now go to the dashboard and learn button should be working.

It should fix the issue for the time being before we push the update!

Btw,
Cool Bocchi avatar!

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad you were able to figure it out :+1:.

While weā€™re on the topic, it would be nice if in the future you guys could add a way to review vocabulary without needing to leave tabs open. Especially when thereā€™s several words, it gets a bit messy. Perhaps you could provide an extra option that allows us to add words to a queue where they can be all reviewed in succession. It could be a button below the ā€œAdd to Reviewsā€ button, or something like that. Something as simple as the current review system, where items are added to a queue, but with all the wordā€™s info and without going through the SRS. Perhaps it could be a ā€œStudyā€ button, so we can first study them, then we can add them to the SRS with an ā€œAdd All to Reviewsā€ button. Might actually be nice to have this feature for Grammar points as well.

The reason for this feature is because I donā€™t personally go by the BunPro order, but my own. I find it much easier to learn grammar/vocabulary that are relevant to what Iā€™ve encountered while consuming content, than by some random list. However, I also add items that I feel might be easy because theyā€™re similar to other stuff Iā€™ve learned before, but because it takes time for me to curate this list of items, I find that leaving the tabs for each item open in my browser to be the best solution Iā€™ve found. However, itā€™s not very convenient to have 30 tabs open, plus whatever other tabs I had opened from other sites, so this would be a nice feature to have.

Hopefully Iā€™ve explained things correctly. I think this would be a huge improvement to the current workflow.

Thanks!

1 Like

Weā€™re discussing this currently! :tada:
Will maybe take some for of custom user ā€œQuick-Study Queueā€ Deck, once we implement user Decks.

1 Like

Yes, a Quick Study feature sounds great!!

Thanks!

1 Like

I think this has been fixed. Thank you.

My forecast now starts at 6:00 a.m. (it is currently 6:50 a.m.), where it would start at 5:00 a.m. before the fix.

1 Like

[Edit: Iā€™ve now read a bunch of previous reports which mention the same basic bug. I believe my report may have additional detail and reproduction steps to isolate the edge-cases and locate the underlying bug(s). Hopefully. :sweat_smile: But, as of right now, this bug/issue is still a thing. In particular, I think the Side-Bug Iā€™ve mentioned below might be a key issue; perhaps it is the main underlying bug?]

There are several related issues in this comment, so Iā€™m going through the (simplified) bug research process to ensure I get them all. (I donā€™t know whether this is truly many distinct bugs, each requiring their own fix, or whether they are side-effect bugs caused by a single underlying bug, requiring just one fix.)

Details

When I click [Add to Reviews] on the 分ē§‘ Vocab page, it adds the vocab with Answer setting as ā€˜Reveal & Gradeā€™, even though my default settings are to use ā€˜Manualā€™ for Answer.

This has occurred (on other Vocabs) recently several times recently, without my noticing it until they later came up in reviews with the Reveal & Grade style input. I only noticed the cause being the behaviour of [Add to Reviews] just now.

Well, one possible reason is that the default settings are over-ridden by deck-specific settings. So maybe the deck for 分ē§‘ has the wrong settings.

The only problem is that 分ē§‘ belongs to the A3 deck, which I donā€™t believe I have access to in order to change its default settings.

So, I checked a random other vocab, ę°“åˆ† which is N2, and when I [Add to Reviews] it also sets Answer as ā€˜Reveal & Gradeā€™, even though I double-checked and my N2 deck settings are set to ā€˜Fill-in Question / Manual Answerā€™.

So, it looks like this is a bigger issue (for my account, anyway, donā€™t know if others have experienced this) than just one rogue deckā€™s strange settings.

Iā€™m guessing now that most, if not all of the recent Vocabs Iā€™ve added have been set to ā€˜Reveal & Gradeā€™, instead of ā€˜Manualā€™.

Side-Bug

Furthermore, I went to the N2 deck settings and with the ā€˜Fill-in Question / Manual Answerā€™ setting on, I clicked the [Change Vocab to Fill-in Question / Manual Answer] button, and confirmed with [OK]. This had no effect on the ę°“åˆ† vocab, which remained ā€˜Translate Question / Reveal & Grade Answerā€™.

So, I figured, maybe thereā€™s a side-bug that wonā€™t update Vocabsā€™ settings when the settings are technically ā€˜not compatibleā€™ with the deck. In this case, since deck N2 does not yet allow for ā€˜Fill-inā€™ Question style, so maybe trying to click [Change Vocab to Fill-in Question / Manual Answer] fails because it canā€™t change the Question style to ā€˜Fill-inā€™.

So, just to test if this side-bug is actually a thing, I switched the N2 deck setting to ā€˜Translate Question / Manual Answerā€™. Then I clicked the [Change Vocab to Translate Question / Manual Answer] button. This indeed worked :exclamation: , setting the ę°“åˆ† vocab to ā€˜Translate Question / Manual Answerā€™.

So, that side-bug is indeed a thing.

Back to Main-Bug

I still actually want my N2 to remain set as ā€˜Fill-in Question / Manual Answerā€™, because Iā€™m waiting for the BP Team to enable ā€˜Fill-inā€™ Question styles for N2, which is my preferred style. So, I set that setting back.

But that still leaves the issue with the wrong default of ā€˜Reveal & Gradeā€™.

And thereā€™s one last bug to report with this.

If I go to my User > Settings > Reviews, I indeed have them set to ā€˜Fill-inā€™ Question and ā€˜Manualā€™ Answer. So, I tried to use the Update All sectionā€™s [Update :arrows_counterclockwise:] button.

After about 30 seconds, an error message briefly appeared above the button, something along the lines of ā€œAn error occurred ā€¦ā€, but it always disappeared too quickly for me to copy it.

This error occurred at least 5 times, I think, but as I was trying to reproduce the bug for this report, it finally said ā€œUpdate Successfulā€ on the latest one, so I donā€™t know whatā€™s going on there, but maybe you can check the logs of my accountā€™s activity prior to the current time of 12:10 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, 2024 (EDT), to see what kinds of error(s) were logged.

Even after that ā€˜successful updateā€™, it did not actually change the N2 vocab ę°“åˆ† to ā€˜Translate Question / Manual Answerā€™, let alone ā€˜Fill-in Question / Manual Answerā€™

So, this ā€˜Updateā€™ bug also is a thing.

So, summary:

1. [Add to Reviews] setting vocabs to ā€˜Reveal & Gradeā€™, despite that none of my settings are set to that.
  2. Individual decks failing to ā€˜update allā€™ with appropriate settings.
  3. User settings failing to ā€˜update allā€™ with appropriate settings.
  4. (Any other minor bugs I may have mentioned but canā€™t recall right now)

Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve got for now.

Iā€™ve also run into similar cases. What happened: I was previously adding vocabs from higher JLPT levels before I was really ready for them, but some of them I got up to significant SRS levels, like 8 or 9. Then I decided I wanted to start Vocab over from scratch, once I learned of the (then new) ā€˜Fill-inā€™/Cloze type. So, I used whatever was the most obvious UI mechanism (canā€™t remember what it was now) to ā€˜resetā€™ all my vocab.

But what this did was simply to ā€˜remove from reviewsā€™ the vocabs without resetting their levels to 0, or better yet ā€˜never reviewedā€™.

When I later realized that I wasnā€™t seeing many of the vocabs I had Learned (after the reset, using the new Cloze settings), I looked into them and then figured out that I had to ā€˜reset SRS levelā€™ on them. I did this manually (bit of a pain) by using the various ā€˜gradesā€™ (Beginner, Adept, Seasoned, etc.) from the Progress section on the Dashboard, with the Vocab setting to show for Vocabs. I had to click inside each ā€˜gradeā€™ to show the list for all the items in that grade ā€“ in particular for grades such as Seasoned, Expert, and Master), open them all manually in new tabs, then mechanically go through all the tabs to ā€˜Rest Progressā€™ on each one.

Was tedious, but luckily only a one-time thing. Since I had made some legitimate progress on some Vocabs, such as some N5s, there was no safe way to use any kind of deck-specific ā€˜Reset Progressā€™ (donā€™t know if that even exists).

So!
My suggestion is to have multiple (clearly identified) options for when a user wants to ā€˜removeā€™ or ā€˜resetā€™ a Vocab (and possibly/probably Grammar too):

1. The one most people probably expect to happen: ā€œRemove from Reviews & Reset Progressā€ to ā€˜never reviewedā€™ or level 0 or whatever.
  2. ā€œRemove from Reviewsā€, which could possibly be renamed to something like ā€œPause from Reviewsā€, which ā€˜pausesā€™ or ā€˜holdsā€™ the item from being reviewed, but does not reset its SRS.
  3. ā€œReset Progressā€ which sets SRS to 0 or whatever. This can be considered a ā€˜special caseā€™ of manually selecting the SRS level, and so could possibly be grouped into that UI. (?)
  4. ā€œMark as Masteredā€ sets SRS to max (12 I think?), which (probably as a side-effect?) also removes it from the Review queue. This could also be considered a ā€˜special caseā€™ of manually selecting SRS level.

But, in the use-case where a user wants to ā€˜start over from scratchā€™, like a Reset on WaniKani for example (or actually, more like a Resurrect of a Burnt item, but without it having to be Burned first), what they really want is option #1.

Currently, whenever I want to ā€˜completely removeā€™ an item from my Reviews, I have to consciously remember to first do a ā€˜Reset Progressā€™, to make sure if I ever add it to reviews again, it will start from scratch, and then second do a ā€˜Remove from Reviewsā€™.

Would be much nicer, less clunky if that ā€˜intentionā€™ was wrapped up in a single button which did option #1, which is to both ā€˜Resetā€™ and ā€˜Removeā€™.

1 Like