Feedback - Bug Reports

Unfortunately, if you look at my recent report on the same issue a few posts back, you’ll see that the issue persists even for the A decks (and I imagine also the E1 deck, but I haven’t checked), and these decks are not directly accessible by users. In particular, we don’t have access to ‘deck settings’ for them.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I experienced a bug where grammar & vocab reviews stopped giving me the review according to my previous learning activity, as if I were a new account and never learn anything.

I tried Bunpro free since last February and reached halfway of N5 grammar lists and some vocabs. The Review option works as intended on figuring out which grammar & vocab points I’m lacking so adjust the review quizzes and schedule accordingly.

My free trial expired last week so whenever I tried to do a review, Bunpro will tell me I have no active subscription which is as expected, at this time I had more than 20+ review waiting for me during my Bunpro “Lite” / free and cannot do review unless I paid for subscription.

Earlier this week I paid for the subscription, however once I did that, I have no more review left. It’s been a few days and the review list is still at 0, so yesterday I decided to try to learn 3 new grammar points and now it shows me I have 3 reviews, compared to 20+ back when I haven’t bought new subscription a few days ago. All the grammar & vocab points I have learned are still added to review as per default setting, tested on the app on 2 phones & desktop still have the same issue, so I think it’s an issue with Bunpro backend.

Only thing I can do to review past grammar & vocab is trough the cram feature, however it is not ideal since I don’t know which grammar & vocab point I’m still lacking and reviewing all of them at once periodically takes too much of my time.

Could anyone help me?

1 Like

I am also using kiwi browser (v 124.0.6327.1), on Android 14.

Silly question from someone who doesn’t know web development, perhaps, but why choose such a roundabout way of implementing this setting as to make it dependent on the browser cooperating nicely? Wouldn’t it have been both easier and more reliable to implement the queue order setting like all the other settings under bunpro.jp/settings/reviews? I mean, if I change the Ghost setting there, I don’t need to hope that my browser’s localstorage APIs act nicely…

1 Like

Hi, I got this message today despite having yet finished with the N2 deck. When I click continue it just shows the same message but for N1 deck and then goes back to N5 deck.
I could still access it from the content tab but not from the dashboard.
Is there any fix for this?

1 Like

I am having the exact same problem as well

1 Like

@Carnikun

Hi there,
A fix for this is coming out very very shortly!
We’re just testing the release for this patch now.
Should be out within the next 24 hours

1 Like

My lesson reviews (the ones right after learning new grammar points) suddenly started appearing always as the wrong type a few days ago.

Despite having Reading and Reveal and Grade selected, I always receive Fill In. Applying the review style to all doesn’t fix this. Once I Complete them and they are in my review stack, applying the review style does work. I am on Android in Chrome. Thanks!

3 Likes

@Ikhsan @Carnikun
The patch is out for iOS, should be available for android in around 8-10 hours.

The temporary solution is to:
Until then go to fix it go to content tab at the bottom → decks and set the deck you want to learn (if you want to learn JLPT grammar choose BUNPRO grammar N5/N4/N3/N2/N1) as a main one (tap on deck, then gear icon on the top right).
Or, on the website, you can tap on add deck button and choose the grammar jlpt deck which also should fix the issue. (Preferred, because main deck will be removed with the update).

1 Like

Same issue for me, but in reverse. I have “Fill In” and “Manual” selected, but no matter how many times I change the deck back to that setting (screenshot below), my reviews still come up as “Reveal & Grade”.

2 Likes

Good morning,

While doing the readings for the lesson and mousing over the text, sometimes the text will squish and overlap with lines above. This can happen to multiple lines. It will go back to normal when mousing over a line high up in the paragraph.

I’m on a windows PC using the Brave browser.
Thank you!

Trying to learn from the N1 Vocab deck using the “Learn” button gives the " 申し訳ない… Something went wrong on our end!" error message.

Then trying to access through the menus → Decks → Vocab → N1 Vocab seems to log me out because it starts asking me to sign up, create a username etc.

Okay, some more details / issues associated with this overall ‘Wrong Review Type’ bug. I might edit this multiple times if I find more bugs as I go along, but for now I’ll just post about the most recent thing I found.

Random Vocab Items Altered to Use ‘Reveal & Grade’

During reviews I’ve suddenly started to get older vocabs flipped to ‘Reveal & Grade’. This is a new phenomenon, starting since I posted my first report on this topic the other day. What has changed since then is that I have used the Update All > [Update] button multiple times in the “Default Vocab Review Type” section of the User > Settings > Reviews settings. As reported earlier, it had failed with error reports multiple times, but then eventually was ‘successful’ (although the ‘successful’ runs did not actually fix ‘Reveal & Grade’ to ‘Manual’.

So, I suspect that what caused these newly-flipped vocabs was when I tried to run this Update All thing. Or, if not the one in Settings, I may have also tried it (update all) in the N1 deck settings, and that may have caused it. Or, thirdly, it is possible that the flips occurred during the most recent Bunpro update and I just didn’t notice it until recently, but I’ve been doing reviews consistently and I think I would have noticed earlier, but I’m not 100% sure.

Anyway, I did some research and found that:

1. In my N5, there are no flips
  2. In my N4, there is a single item that uses ‘Reveal & Grade’, which is テキスト (JLPT N4) | Bunpro, but this is not new actually. I believe I filed a bug report on this a while back: It is stuck as ‘Reveal & Grade’ and couldn’t be fixed manually like the others. I believe this is technically a different bug than this recent bigger issue.
    Note: I just tried fixing it manually again, and now it seems to have been fixed. So, maybe it’s no longer an issue for me. :crossed_fingers:
  3. N3: I did not go through this one yet, since I suspect the underlying issue has to do with whether the deck supports Cloze or not, and N3 supports Cloze, so I suspect that few if any items have been flipped. May check it later for completeness…
  4. N2: Surprisingly, I didn’t find any flipped items here, although I was previously having issue with adding new items, and they would be added with ‘Reveal & Grade’ instead of ‘Manual’. But that’s not the same issue as flipping (… or is it?!?! <dun dun dunnnn!> :sweat_smile: )
    It may be because I was running the ‘update all’ button on the N2 deck multiple times the other day while trying to reproduce bugs, and I may have inadvertently fixed all the flipped ones in N2. Which leads me to …
  5. N1: I did a systematic search of N1 and found 217 items (out of a total of 480 items I’ve begun studying in N1) that previously were not ‘Reveal & Grade’, but have recently been flipped to ‘Reveal & Grade’. Again, not really sure how they got flipped, but regardless – if it’s true that I accidentally fixed flipped items in N2, then maybe there’s a way I can fix these 217 items in N1… :thinking:

Attempt to fix N1 flipped items

The first item in N1 that is flipped is my なんて (JLPT N1) | Bunpro. So, I will keep an eye on that one to see if I can fix it using the Deck’s ‘update all’ button in the deck settings.
[Note: I notice that the URLs have been updated to ‘remember’ which deck they came from with ‘?deck_id=28’ for example. However, I want to test if this is even necessary, so I’m going to first try using the raw URL for なんて, which is: https://bunpro.jp/vocabs/なんて]

• Initial state: なんて tab is open, and it indeed shows ‘Reveal & Grade’.
  • Step 1: On N1 deck page, open Deck Settings.
    Result: Pop up shows. Current ‘Review Type - Vocab’ is set to ‘Fill-in Question / Manual Answer’, which is my desired default, for the future when the BP Team implements Cloze for decks N2 and N1.
  • Step 2: Attempt a simple ‘Set Past Reviews to Current Style’, without changing the desired default, by clicking the [Change Vocab to Fill-in Question / Manual Answer] button.
    Note: My prediction is that this will do nothing to fix the flipped vocabs, because my hypothesis is that since N1 does not allow ‘Fill-in’ Question style, the update will fail. The expected behaviour, if it were working properly, is that this update should ‘intelligently’ figure out that – even though N1 doesn’t (yet) allow ‘Fill-in’ – it can use the ‘alternative default’ of ‘Translate’, and so it should update all currently-flipped items to ‘Translate Question / Manual Answer’.
    Result: Modal pop up shows, “Are you sure?”. Click “OK”. Modal pop-up disappears. No UI feedback occurs, so user has no idea if anything changed, whether success, failure, or no-action at all.
    Check the なんて tab. Wow! Holy crap! It actually flipped back this time! It’s now set to Translate / Manual, as expected!.
  • Step 3: Check the other N1 items to see if they’ve also flipped back.
    Result: Holy crow! I think they all actually got flipped back! Nice!

Sweet! This definitely was not working a day or two ago, so it seems to me that it (the deck update-all) was definitely fixed in the meantime. It’s the first time I tried it today, and it worked the first time. Nice!

Well… so far, anyway. This technique will not work for the A decks or the E1 decks, which I believe (but not 100% sure) also have some items that are flipped, because we can’t access Deck Settings in those decks. But also, can’t easily search for items which have ‘Reveal & Grade’ setting in these decks. If I find some during reviews, I’ll report back.

For now, I’m glad this deck-update feature seems to be working correctly again. That’s 217 items I won’t have to manually flip back!
:partying_face:

Edit:

Okay, I decided to check the Update All feature in the User > Settings > Reviews. In theory, if I were to now click the [Update] button, nothing should change, and the thing should finish without error. But:

• Clicking [Update] actually did fail with an error message. I was finally fast enough to be able to select and copy the error message before it disappeared this time. It says, after about 30 seconds:

An error occurred trying to update all Reviews to your chosen default review type. Please try again!

• Thankfully, it doesn’t seem like my N1 items got flipped back to ‘Reveal & Grade’, so that’s still good it seems.

So, it seems that it’s just the Update All failing for some reason. It might have something to do with the fact that I have a lot of Vocabs, so maybe it’s timing out or something.

1 Like

Since the update from a week ago, it just skips my self study sentences in the app. Please fix this.

I should’ve tried another browser before, on chrome it works. I guess it will be hard to solve. I hope someone else already dealt with this and published this somewhere easy to find :pray:

Using another browser is out of the question, it’s the only one (up to my knowledge) who allows desktop browser extensions. It’s understandable if you drop the bug, I’ll give up on mobile and only do it on last resort.

1 Like

I think they did it that way to allow users to have different options for different devices, so the setting is stored on the browser used. Assuming it’s that, I don’t know how useful it is to have different options though.

1 Like

My lesson reviews (the ones right after learning new grammar points) suddenly started appearing always as the wrong type a few days ago.

Hi there! Just checked your Learn Queue™️
Looks like you’ve set your N3 Deck as Fill-in + Manual!

You can go through and set it for your Deck (which will override gobal settings) like so:

This should be fixed now!

Hi again! Thanks for the thorough detail.

Yes we fixed a bug yesterday where the Review Type for Vocab would default to the wrong one (always Reveal & Grade) if there were no Cloze questions available.

I think this should solve all the bugs you mentioned.

Also, we’re aware of the mass Update All timeout, and are investigating :bowing_man:

2 Likes

… on chrome it works

That’s a relief! Couldn’t replicate it on any iOS browsers, and don’t have access to an Android ATM.
Was also wondering what killer-feature Kiwi had that other browsers didn’t. Browser extensions explains it I guess!

I think they did it that way to allow users to have different options for different devices, so the setting is stored on the browser used

Yeah it also allows me to implement relatively low importance settings locally, as opposed to requiring DB interaction (getting/setting) all the time.

@Mapletree To answer your question, it definitely could be done using the traditional way that we’ve done settings, and something we’ll consider.

I seriously don’t know why it breaks on Kiwi browser only tho :woozy_face:

1 Like

I been using “Session Review Limit” to split my study workload in small bites, and I found some weird behaviors that may be of interest.

First of, the app says the limit must be between 10 and 2000. But I can set limits below that number and it works just fine.

Second thing is that the setting is either cookies or local storage only, setting it on browser won’t make it work on the app and vice versa. Not sure if intended, but a bit unintuitive.

Third, this setting is only available in the configuration mid-review-session. This is also counter intuitive because you can choose how many New Items per Session are studied in the normal configuration window.

1 Like