Feedback - Bug Reports

Two questions about this sentence:

• いろいろと? Why と?
  • Should this be phrased as ~に向けるために or something? The first half is meant to say, “for the purpose/sake of ______,” or “with ______ in mind,” and I’m not sure that gets conveyed with the て-form by itself. Am I wrong?

(Also, is there a better thread to use for discussing review sentence structure, etc.?)

1 Like

Here on of many examples where the sentence translation completely differs from the grammar translation:

I had no clue at all what you’re looking for. No hints, wrong tranlation (the “one hour” part is missing completely)

This is the grammar point:

You should at least add the “adjectivization” hint to the review sentence since “temporary” itself obviously has nothing to do with the grammar.

FEATURE REQUEST:
since there are still dozens of buggy sentences like this (and all the sentences with missing alternative answers) it would be nice to have a “skip this sentence” button which appears after typing in a wrong answer.
If users are sure that Bunpro made a mistake in that sentence, they can skip it to avoid a wrong answer. It doesn’t really makes sence that users destroy their accuracy because of mistakes on Bunpro’s side. And using the “oops” button doesn’t make much sense either.

The “skip this sentence” button would preserve the current SRS for that grammar point and remove the skipped review sentence from the queue. Instead, on the next day (or sooner or later) the next sentence of that grammar point will be reviewed.

1 Like

It’s not wrong. 一時的 means temporary.

And I really don’t think they need to make your “Skip Sentence” a feature that seems like weird solution to the problem. If you find that the the roof is leaking, don’t ask for buckets instead of just telling them where the leak is so they can patch it. Yeah some of the sentences are wonky, report them individually and they can correct them.

Also, I don’t really get why you can’t use the Oops button in that situation. I use it both as a “Oops I was wrong” and “Oops Bunpro’s wrong”.

2 Likes

Sure. But without 的 it means “one o’clock” or “one hour” and only that was given without any hints…

I report all bugs I find with the “report error” button and via forum. But how can that solve the situation during reviews? Bunpro is not that fast :wink:

Interesting approach. I don’t think that’s what the “oops” button is intended for. I only use it for typos.

1 Like

@lopicake Thank you for your feedback on how to approach different badges. These are all great suggestions! We have quite a few badges that we would like to incorporate into Bunpro and we will consider all of the points that you have made (whether to keep them hidden or give sneak peeks) going forward. Thank you also for discussing 的 and Bunpro features with @Anthropos888. We will give this grammar point some thought, as well as consider adding an alternative to the “oops!” button.

We hope to have a new and improved feedback system up and running soon that will allow us to pinpoint problem items and get them fixed more quickly. This new system will also notify you when we make a change as well as mark it as being reported so that others will know that we are working on getting it corrected. Stay tuned. Cheers!

@Kai Thank you for all of your feedback! Adding special days to badges is a great idea. We will see what we can do. Let us know if you have any other suggestions!

The N2 Lesson 2, とか is a grammar point that we are consider moving or removing completely from Bunpro and that is why it did not get the special treatment. We apologize for the inconvenience!

The inability to cycle hints on sentences that have the teal colored text is a known bug that we hope to push a fix for in the next update. Thank you for your patience!

Regarding your question about にむけて, the と following いろいろ makes いろいろ (normally a な-adjective) an adverb (so-called と adverb) that is modifying 調べる. Here, にむけて is acting as a conjunction and conveys that the person is setting his/her sights on the career consultation day. So, rather than the speaker having a purpose, they are looking toward the career consultation day. Perhaps thinking of にむける as actually, physically facing toward something will help clear up any confusion? Maybe @mrnoone can help me expand on this? We are working through the site, linking each grammar point to their own grammar thread here on the forums and hope to have a space to discuss each individual grammar point available soon. Cheers!

2 Likes

09%20
I know this is an expression, but I couldn’t remember if it was へ or に. Is it actually wrong to say に? Or just “wrong” because the expression uses へ?

にようこそ isn’t necessarily wrong, but へようこそ is much more common.

If you do a google search for both phrasings inside “quotation marks,” you get:

• へようこそ: About 117,000,000 results
  • にようこそ: About 10,500,000 results

However, since the hint is [toward], maybe に is technically not applicable here.
に is much more “direct” than へ.

2 Likes

True. I’m just not sure marking me wrong is necessarily the correct though. Doesn’t BP have a shake that comes with a hint like “looking for something different/similar”? I think that would fit better if に is correct, just not typical.

Personally I always look with trepidation at the hints for に/へ because I never feel like the hints are different enough that I can say with complete confidence which one BP is asking for.

They do have the feature you’re describing. But Placeへようこそ is pretty much a set phrase, so I think it’s okay to mark に wrong here.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing the review times!

“Toward” definitely corresponds to へ though, because に is far more direct.

Any chance the Android app will be updated some time soon? It’s been months since the last update, it’s slow as hell + buggy… It would be great since I do most of my reviews on my phone… Thanks!

2 Likes

Last I heard they were looking for a new developer for the app.

1 Like

Do you know if BP uses toward only for へ? Because translations across resources is not that consequent, which means my brain have in the past learnt that while へ tends to be more toward or directional rather than destination, translations can be all over the place.

why is the answer a different verb than the one in the brackets? My keigo is very weak but i don’t think お教えいたします was wrong?

Probably because ideally, you wouldn’t use 教える in keigo, but the hint is still [教える] to draw attention to that fact. If you’re using keigo and want to say a sentence with 教える, it’s probably best to swap that verb out. (Disclaimer: my keigo isn’t great yet either!)

Strictly speaking for the purposes of 文プロ, “toward” is the most direct English translation for へ, so using “toward” for に would, IMO, be worth reporting to get changed if there’s any instance of it.

2 Likes

Some words have a set humble/keigo equivalents that BP requires you to use. 見る vs 拝見 vs 目にかかる for example. Idk why. Maybe it’s more natural/forces you to learn the word?

1 Like

Shouldn’t be in the grammar description when you first learn it then? :/* otherwise unless you researched it before hand you will always fail this sentence.

2 Likes

Well it’s in the links under the readings tab.

2 Likes

I still think they should all be separate grammar points.

2 Likes