Feedback - General

Would ことがひつよう also be valid?

It seems like it accepts のがひつよう.

1 Like

The sentences for のももっともだ and も当然だ should have both be alternatives, or at least give a hint to use the other one. As far as I can tell, they have the same exact structure/meaning so they should be interchangeable.

2 Likes

@shadowmoment Thank you for your feedback and kind words! We are glad to have you. Nice find! Fixed.

@seanblue Yes! I will add ことがひつよう(だ・です・である) to alternate answers. Cheers!

@lopicake Thank you for your suggestion. I will add these to alternate answers. Thank you for pointing this out to us. Cheers!

3 Likes

It would be nice if there was an indication of which grammar points we’ve mastered. Maybe there could be a 2nd stamp on the lessons page, like this: bp

But in the same color as the final streak symbol. Or even replace the learned symbol with the final mastered symbol.

That way we can see at a glance which ones have been mastered already without having to click, and also compare them easily by Lesson grouping.

3 Likes

Would it be possible to configure Bunpro in a similar way to Wanikani where there are predetermined levels and lessons are queued up automatically as you progress through the levels?

Having the ability to study the specific grammar points that you want is excellent, but I’d love to just go start to finish and just have things there to learn rather than having to do it myself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey and welcome on the community forums :grinning:

Yes, something like that is possible to some extent. You have to use “study” button on top of the site.

You have to set a level you are studying for (N5, N4, N3, N2) and batch size (number of grammar points studied per session) in settings.

(To do so: Click on your avatar, it will open a dropdown menu, then choose settings. )

You can also use path feature if you are studying with a textbook.

(Click on “grammar” button on top of the site, it will open a dropdown menu and then choose a textbook you are using).
And then choose chapter you are studying (whole, or just expressions you have learned/ want to review).

1 Like

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/693

Could you add a small note that 陸に could also be seen as 碌に?

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/695

ては should be a related grammar to ていては

1 Like

@lopicake Thank you for pointing these out to us! Both have been added. Cheers!

1 Like

For this point

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/346

As it says in this reading,

mondakara is the same as monodakara, i think the phrases of this point should accept mondakara as correct answers too, plus it should be added in the point that they are synonyms. Sorry for bad english, really like this webpage, helps a lot with my studies and want it to improve :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey :laughing:
The information was there, so I made it more visible.

The alternative answers have been added :laughing:

Love this idea, but the double stamps is so busy. Perhaps making it gold colored or something? :o (Stealing the idea from the gold burns script from WK xD)

3 Likes

Yeah I agree. The final mastered symbol is already gold-looking so it’d be perfect.

Also, another suggestion:

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/601 のみならず
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/611 はもとより

They both should be related grammar to each other and the other 15 thousand ways to say “not only…but also” grammar points. Also in some cases they seem like they could be alternatives for each other’s sentences. If you could give hints about which one to use that would be great.

Edit: I got curious after making this post and I looked up “not only…but also”, I knew I wasn’t going crazy.

I can’t wait till we can start working on nuances because this is insane.

6 Likes

Not sure this is the right place. I recently did the lessons V[て]もいい and N + てもいい. When I’ve gotten them in reviews they’ve showed an alternative answer (てもよろしい) that I found zero mention of anywhere (I don’t think I even saw it in the reading, but I can’t swear to it and I don’t want to look through it all), nor did that alternative show up in the related grammar options.

Here are two screenshots showing the correct answer and the alternative that is never mentioned anywhere:

2 Likes

Hey :laughing:

てもよろしい is in among lessons to be added. よろしい is more polite variant of いい meaning OK, I accept, fine. etc
Another, very polite alternative is てもかまわない

You most likely have seen its adverbial form (strictly speaking continuative form) in "よろしくおねがいします”。

3 Likes

Ah! That explains it. Might want to think about adding a note of it on the pages anyway, just like you do in other places where you help identify which is more polite. Like the lesson が (but) has. That way it is already in place when you finally add that point! :wink:

1 Like

Subscribing during the free trial period seems really confusing.

My free trial ends today (January 13th), and I’ve decided to go for a yearly subscription. After subscribing, there was a green pop-up message “Thank you for subscribing”, and I received an e-mail that lets me know that since I’m still in the free trial period, the subscription will begin automatically after it ended, which I assume will be tomorrow (January 14th). That’s fine.

However, the subscription page then stated that my subscription will end on January 13, 2019 and will not be renewed. I’ve now changed it so that it will be renewed (using that drop-down selection and the “update”-button, which is Confusing part no. 1, you can’t read this at all (white text on white background, I suppose?).
Under “Billing”, there’s now a new entry for the invoices for an amount of $0, with an active period of “2019-01-13 to 2019-01-13”. So that’s confusing part no. 2.

Now, on the subscription page, if I select “yearly” again, I’m being prorated by my apparently existing, active yearly subscription, so if I click to subscribe using that now, I get the fantastic deal of only having to pay 74 cents. I can watch the amount I’mn being prorated for drop in real-time, so that appears to be for some kind of virtual “30 USD for a day” subscription. I’m gonna call all that confusing part no. 3.

My suggestion here is to perform some special case handling for a user that has subscribed, but is still in the active trial period to just display “You are still in your free trial period! You have selected to start a [monthly/yearly] subscription after it ends, which will automatically happen on [date]” (and then maybe a way to cancel that or to choose a different subscription instead).

It’s just a bit scary to have the payment part feel so sloppily handled (though I’m certain it’s not behind the scenes).

Keep up the good work!

5 Likes

I’ve noticed, especially for じゃない and じゃなかった lessons that there aren’t hints about politeness and sometimes no hint at all so I have to start showing the translation to have any idea of what is being asked. The no hint at all and needing translation have been for 先生___ asking for I “am not” or “was not” a teacher. (This has also showed up for several previous particle lessons.) I’m kinda okay with this instance even if I like practicing the translation after I’ve given the answer.

However, since many of these doesn’t indicate politeness level, I tend to default to the casual. The image below shows what I mean:

I wrote じゃない and got a correct answer, yay. But it immediate changed it to ではありません so it could read the audio correctly. Also fine, but I would rather have been asked to practice that polite form. Perhaps you don’t want to put something like “politest” or “second most polite”, but at least the [polite] tag would be nice, or maybe it isn’t appropriate? Btw, as I said above, this isn’t the only sentence with no indication of casual/polite, it seems to be missing from several review questions for じゃない and じゃなかった.

Edit: Here is a look at what the 先生 sentences look like and how much I must show to have any idea of what is being asked (beyond casual):

3 Likes

@opgjoh Thank you for your insight! We apologize for the inconvenience and are sorry that you had a confusing and even scary experience when subscribing. This should never be the case. There are quite a few things on our to-do list at the moment, but making the subscription page more intuitive is near the top of that list. Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback so we can apply it the site and improve everyone’s experience as we go through and make changes. Cheers!

@MissDagger Thank you for all of your wonderful feedback! Making sure that sentences have proper hints and appropriate politeness tags is one of the things that we going through and cleaning up in our current comb through. We appreciate your patience as we get these sorted out. Cheers!

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just not seeing it so if it’s there please direct me but I was wondering if it would be possible to add a jlpt level to the grammar that your studying when doing the various paths (Tobira, Genki, etc). Really just so you could keep up with where each one fell. Thanks for all you guys do!

1 Like

@Jsaunders86 Thank you for your feedback. Currently we only show the JLPT information of a grammar point when you search for it or on the bottom of the main grammar point page. Is there a particular place that you would like to see it displayed? Cheers!

1 Like