Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I was under the impression that the Shin Kanzen books are just JLPT prep books so the Bunpro original path would coincide with them. What am I missing?

I’m getting greedy now, but this one is of less priority (at least for me). That said, it would be great if we could also type Kanji into our answers. I’m sure this has been brought up before, since it seems like an obvious feature to add, so I’ll simply add my +1 (vote) for it.

Thanks again!

They are, but there are some grammar points from (SKM N2, at least) that I can’t find in bunpro.

1 Like

I have a bunch of reports on grammar points in “Processing” the oldest being 24 days ago.

I just want to make sure they are not getting lost along the way? They usually went into Under review or something quicker in the past.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. But even in the current existing paths they have missing grammar points. There is a long thread in which I just posted other day that was titled Missing grammar points.

This has been brought up, and decided that it would ultimately hinder progress due to IME autocompletion stuff and the issue of kanji having multiple readings. Here’s a thread with some more detailed answers as to why this hasn’t been implemented!

1 Like

I guess, if it’s that time consuming to implement, the current system is fine (showing the Kanji after typing and entering the answer), sure.

That said, all the other arguments against it sound like excuses to me, honestly. What do people use when typing Kanji everywhere else? An IME software. You still have to deal with the same “issues” discussed in that thread when you type on your computer, or mobile device :man_shrugging:t3:.

Not everyone uses Japanese via an IME. For example, if you are speaking Japanese, there is no IME “autocorrect” you. By requiring kana, it is checking that you actually know the reading of what is being used.

1 Like

Hi Megumin! We are sorry for the delay on replying to your reports!

Because of how many changes we have been making to the site recently, the amount of reports we have recieved has increased considerably. They haven’t been forgotten about! We are just trying to balance our time between answering feedback, and also working on the site, so we apologize for this 🙇🏼‍♂️

We will continue to try and adjust the feedback system as well so that it is more efficient.

3 Likes

No worries, just wanted to make sure they weren’t getting saved properly or something.

Thanks for the information.

2 Likes

Idk how useful that would be, but maybe for the reading section (in lessons/reviews, not the short stories) you could add a feature (toggleable per user in options) to highlight what other bunpro users deemed the best of the few sources given with a checkbox.

Eg. i read 2 of 4 reading sources for grammar point XYZ. Now I dont simply “check” the box that I read this, but can give a source a “+” “-” or nothing at all. If a source is considered confusing/bad it will have a low or even negative score and might be switched for another source for this grammar point by you bunpro staff once every x months or even per year. Meanwhile “reading tab” sources that got many “+” will be easily recognizable for seemingly being really clear/concise/helpful on the matter.

This might make the “learn more about this grammar point” more efficient and straight-forward. I often click on none or go to my 1-2 “always use these” references or just click randomly on 1 of the links and have differing results from these. If you could toggle to highlight/show how often a certain link is “+'d” in comparison to the others or if it simply highlighted the most liked source in a “light, not in your face” way, i would probably often take the time to check at least this 1 additional resource.

Might be hard to implement (?)or a not so popular idea as it seems for me right now(?), but i thought this might be cool to:
a) build the community aspect of bunpro into lessons
b) make it easier to notice the appearantly most helpful/popular additional explanation
c) make you not just skip all readings because they might feel hit and miss
d) make you not just skip all readings because you are lazy and feel overwhelmed by many additional resources being provided
e) make the learning experience more efficient/fruitful?

Just my two cents.

1 Like

I know that this isn’t really what BunPro was built for, but it makes sense to me to have an option for “Show Hint, then on answer reveal show English Translation” in reviews. To elaborate, I’ve recently completed N4 here and level 60 on WaniKani (woo!) and I’ve started to try to properly understand the Japanese sentence (i.e., reading it properly :sweat_smile:) before answering with a grammar point and looking at the translation to see how well it matches with what I inferred from reading the Japanese.

The issue is, right now it’s a bit of a pain to have to keep switching between the modes when you want to do this. You have to press the switch button something like 4 times per review if you want to do this every time, which is just annoying for something like a 50 review pile. Thus I think it would be nice to have a mode in General > Content Display > Hide English that switched between them automatically for me, something like showing just a hint at first and then showing you the full English translation once you’ve submitted your answer. I daresay this could quite well help my comprehension skills to a certain degree (as the limited amount of sentences in BunPro permits), making me more inclined to try to understand the sentence before submitting the answer. Right now I only really do this a third of the time, maybe.

If this is already possible using something though… please tell me how! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but you can press spacebar after your answers to cycle through the hints and full english sentence, so means less button pressing at least :wink:

1 Like

oh wow, I didn’t know that was a thing! Thanks for that tidbit. It’s still a tad annoying, though, but definitely more bearable.

I changed my email and now I can’t log in to my other discourse account here so I’m replying with this account, apparently :frowning:

1 Like

You’re welcome!

@jake or someone else from the BunPro staff, a good feature might be a small overview/legend of the hotkey commands at the bottom of the screen during reviews. This isn’t the first time people didn’t know about the spacebar option for those english hints, maybe some also don’t know about ‘p’ for re-play or how to cycle through answers? All very useful features that would be a shame for people not to know about!

1 Like

It would be nice if the “JLPT progress” bars also reflected the number of “finished” grammar points with a different color. Something like this perhaps:

example

I think this would allow a deeper overview of progress over just the number of points being studied.

9 Likes

Anyone know what’s going on here with search?

I was writing out a sentence yesterday and wanted to lookup how to say “for”. If I search for “for” nothing comes up (it stops at N4):

However knowing “for” is “tame(ni)” I searched for that and… BAM there it is with the word “for”. So it clearly is “for” but yet when I search for “for” it can’t find it???

1 Like

Is there a way to change the [20 years]?

I usually make them wrong because I still want to review or just read some sentences.

1 Like

Any feedback on this suggestion?

This may have been suggested before, but my number one issue with Bunpro is that I often memorize sentences rather than actually knowing to apply whatever grammar in the SRS.

To combat this, many sentences could be constructed “mad lib” style. It would be fairly simple to draw certain words from a pool of valid ones. Using names as an example, you may get a sentence " is a student". The first time it pops up in your reviews it may present as “こういちは学生_。”, but then let’s say you answered incorrectly. The next time that sentence comes up, it pulls the name from a pool of names and instead presents you with the sentence “ゆうきは学生_。”.

There are a bunch of possible pools here (names, locations, types of food, adjectives, etc.). Of course some of these are easier than others, since “locations” as a whole may lead to weird sentences if you’re suddenly borrowing a book from the 八百屋, and as such this pool would need to be much more granular. You’d also need to ensure that each item in the pool has a reliable one-to-one translation into English to make sure that the translated sentences still match.

Implementing this on a large scale would be a huge project, but some of the easy categories should be a fairly straightforward implementation to test the appetite for the project.

1 Like