Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I don’t know if people have already recommended this, but…

A referral program would be pretty dope. Something like, have a friend register to Bunpro through your link, and if they buy a subscription, you and your friend get an extra month of service or something like that.

Two friends already joined Bunpro on my recommendation, so it’d be cool to get something out of it. :wink:

4 Likes

I would like to be able to see the SRS level of many items at once. Maybe add it to the overview page or to the icons for the individual grammar points?

3 Likes

Not sure if this has been asked before but would love a feature where we can review by lesson only e.g. N5 Level 9 grammar point only. Id like this option so I can review the last learnt lessons first. Its kinda hard that the latest ones learnt are the last ones on the Review list and for me new things are easier to forget.

3 Likes

I’d like to suggest an undo feature for Reviews if it hasn’t been suggested yet. I know we can retry our answers by hitting Backspace, but sometimes I click Enter twice (or click Enter after clicking A or Space) and immediately proceed to the next question when I actually want to read back on the previous question for longer.

2 Likes

Sorry for posting in succession, but I’d also like to suggest a feature where we can view the alternate forms of the grammar (the one available using the ‘a’ key in Reviews) in the Examples part of the Grammar page itself.

Sometimes I’d like to go through what kind of answers could have filled a particular sentence by going to the grammar page instead of waiting for the sentence to appear in reviews.

2 Likes

Problem: Lack of grammar meaning explanation

As a near-daily user of this site for the past year, I’ve seen my grammatical ability improve drastically. However, I’ve noticed that bunpro misses out on a huge opportunity to make the learning process easier and less confusing.

While the nuance, usage, and examples provided for each grammar point have gone a long ways in making it improving the learning process, I still find bunpro lacking in providing the context of how that grammar point works the way it does and how its components contribute to its overall meaning.

Sure, explaining how, for example, each version of ‘can’t be helped/can’t help but do’ is different helps, but I think it’s far more effective to provide a semantic breakdown of that grammar’s components - especially for the longer, more complex items.

Possible Solution: Semantic breakdown of grammar points

For grammar larger than say, ように/みたい…, breaking down the meaning of a grammar point would greatly help understand the subtle differences between grammar, as well as the role of components play in that particular grammars meaning. This is especially evident as one moves up into the N3 and N2 grammar points, where numerous permutations of こと, には, にも, ならない, ことはない, etc are put together in a single long grammar term.

Possible example:

Aに越したことはない [#525: nothing better than ~]
Meaning Breakdown: Aに越した[have gone beyond A] + ことはない[doesn’t happen]

By breaking down the meaning and roles of the pieces of such grammar points, its easier to start to grasp not only the grammar point itself, but all the grammar components that make it up. Thus, through this approach, it no longer feels like a new grammar – similar to how wanikani teaches the meaning of a word by showing how the meaning of the kanji and other words combine to it makes its overall meaning.

Ultimately, by adding a feature similar to the one described here (even just for some of the items), bunpro will play a key role in facilitating a more intuitive understanding of not just specific grammar points, but also the recurring themes and components that make Japanese structure what it is.

8 Likes

Great idea!

2 Likes

Is it possible to slightly stagger some of the longer SRS intervals? I’m a big fan of the Self-Study feature, and I’ll usually add 5 or 10 extra sentences culled from the suggested readings. While Bunpro doles out its own sentences bit by bit, it just assumes I want to review all sentences I’ve added immediately. (This might be a good request, too - just because I add sentences to Bunpro doesn’t mean I want them all thrown back at me at once!)

So, I review the sentences, and get them all correct (because I JUST added them). So that group of 5 or 10 gets bumped out to the next interval, and then the next interval, and even if I get one wrong in a future interval, I know there are, like, 9 more in that immediate bunch. So the majority of them keep moving forward in a big blob of reviews. And so a week later, I’ll get 9 “ほしい” or “まで” or “なくてもいい” sentences at once, all in row, waiting in one batch for me to do. It would be better if, at the larger intervals, they could be spaced ever so slightly. I feel like Anki used to do this; if you got something right, you wouldn’t necessarily see it 4 days later - you might see it 3 to 5 days later. And instead of 30 days later, somewhere between 27 to 34 days later.

2 Likes

Perhaps this would be worth adding to the readings page for ~のだろか

2 Likes

@monkeytunes This is a great idea! We would love to tinker with how the SRS works so that you can get the most out of your studies. We would also like to add more customization options so that you can fine-tune your own SRS intervals to meet your needs. Stay tuned. Cheers!

@Ambo100 We already have this Wasabi post linked in the のだろうか readings section. Were you thinking of another grammar point, perhaps? Cheers!

Oops, my mistake. I’m not sure how I missed that :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

The hint doesn’t really make sense in the context of the sentence. Unless the speaker really thinks that the recipient won’t permit them?

3 Likes

@lopicake Thank you for pointing this out to us! We have changed the hint to make a little more likely that that person will be permitted to work. This grammar point does not always carry that strong of a connotation. Cheers!

3 Likes

Feature request: “Exercise” option (separate to the reviews queue)

After learning a new grammar point, I would like to be able to go through that point’s sentences all in one go.

1 Like

Good Morning all!

I have a request. You can add a review and click “I already know this” and get the XP for it. I am looking for a quicker way to click through the grammar that I already know. Going to each one at a time is quite tedious, and takes a long time. Is there a feature of script to make adding items to reviews faster?

I have a request for something here.

I want to change the amount of English I see based on the JLTP level. For example, I want to keep English for levels 2-4 but switch it to Japanese for level 5. This because level 2 is hard to read and I’m not ready for only Japanese at this point.

I was also wondering if we could do recognition only sentences somehow? Just instead of doing clozed sentences we would read and grade on our understanding.

Thanks!

That would unintentionally give you a hint for what level grammar point you were reviewing. You can always toggle it manually.

When you change the grammar it should change the audio as well.

Rather than essentially saying “this is an い-adjective, deal with it” like I was taught early on, I think it would be beneficial to reword this to something along the lines of:

“While 嫌い ends with い, it is actually a な-adjective, because it is derived from a verb, 嫌う.”

I also just found out that you can get :warning: by typing 注意 into the keyboard, lol. The Japanese IME is awesome.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s accurate though. It’s a noun because it’s the stem of a verb. I think the fact that it became a na-adjective has nothing to do with it being derived from 嫌う.

For example, 笑い is derived from 笑う, but it’s only a noun. Same goes for 違い, 誓い, and more.

1 Like