Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

https://jisho.org/word/可笑しな

But like 小さな and 大きな, the な is built into the word. So I don’t think this is a great example.

1 Like

Nice, I wasn’t aware of any other い-adjectives-made-な-adjectives like 小さな and 大きな.
Are there more of these, or is there a name for them?

1 Like

I asked once on the WaniKani forums and the response was that there are very few. I don’t remember if it had a name.

2 Likes

I just had the same review yesterday, typed in the same answer and reported exactly the same through the report error function since my dictionary also only lists an i-adjective :smiley:

1 Like

@mrnoone Can you comment on this specific sentence?

@Kai @seanblue @Anthropos888
Those are prenominal only adjectives, in other words, adjectives that cannot be used by themselves, they have to modify a noun.

I think I will change the sentence to おかしい, since it causes confusion and those kinds of adjectives are used mostly in literature.

What is your opinion as users, should we keep it and add a note about the existence of adjectives like that under? Or just change it to more common いadjective.

I can also simply allow both, adding いこと and なこと as alternative answers. Which seems to be good idea.

2 Likes

I would change it to おかしい. I don’t like the idea of have a non-word (おかし) before the blank.

1 Like

@seanblue @Kai @Anthropos888

Hey! :grinning:

I have changed it to ”おかしい”。 :+1:

3 Likes

Little suggestion, but it’d be great if the “Add to Reviews” button could be made bigger, especially since it’s such an important feature, I feel like it should be really noticeable.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it mentioned above but the ability to favourite your most liked / troublesome points could be useful.

Ideally it would work along similar lines to Memrise’s Difficult Words. I know the SRS takes care of frequently forgotten points but it would be nice to be able to see these in one place for my own edification / further study.

Grammar point suggestion: ため(の), either on its own or added on to ため(に). It just came up in a conversation with my iTalki teacher and I was surprised to not find this on here.

@gen_a I think it was mentioned a while back that they had plans to display your most troublesome sentences/grammar points, I think on the stats page? I know they plan on expanding the stats page at the very least, so leaches will prob be a part of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@conan Cool, thanks for the info.

Would be nice if users had the ability to bookmark points that may not necessarily be causing trouble too.

2 Likes

Please consider adding 「ことだし」,「ないもの(だろう)か」,「(よ)うものなら」 as future grammar points for N2. : )

Also I think「とはいいながら」 could be added to the「といっても」grammar point page.

2 Likes

One feature I’m missing during reviews is a “hard” button as in Anki. When I get a Bunpro review which was really hard to remember and where I was not really sure, it’s highly likely that I’ll screw it up after the next SRS interval.
With a “hard” button the SRS level and the interval would not increase so that I’ll see that grammar point sooner (compared with a normal correct answer)

Example with an SRS 9 review:
Correct answer: SRS increases +1, interval increases to level 10 interval

Correct answer, but pressing “hard”: SRS and interval stay at level 9

Wrong answer: SRS drops -1, interval decreases to level 8 interval

6 Likes

I like this idea, but to add to it: hotkey for hard. Just to save my hands from leaving the keyboard during reviews xD

2 Likes

The “hard” button would also be especially usefull on SRS 11 reviews. Instead of finishing this grammar point automatically when it reaches SRS 12, users could decide by themselves if they want to see it another time by clicking “hard”. The review would remain SRS 11 then and it is up to the user wether to finish it the next time or not.

2 Likes

Something that would be really nice but probably a lot of work to do would be if in addition to a show grammar info button, there was a “show other grammar used” button, specifically for the other grammar used in the part of the sentence you fill in.

I’ve been struggling with this sentence in my reviews because the question is about てくれる (n4 lesson 2) but the answer used てくる (n4 lesson 4) and I haven’t quite gotten to it yet.

1 Like

I was just thinking I wish there was a way to focus only on casual speech, or only on academic speech, or keigo, etc. Maybe there could be categories, where each Grammar Point is either [Exclusive・Frequent・Present・Rare・Absent] in each category (excluding the first):

• Masculine/Feminine
  • Casual
  • Polite
  • Keigo
  • Academia
  • Narrative
  • Poetry

(“Narrative” refers to 3rd-person storytelling; “Poetry” includes song lyrics.
Would “Academia” and “News” be identical?)

Sure, there will oftentimes be plenty of overlap.
There may be important categories worth adding, too.

Let’s take かしら as an example though:

• Masculine/Feminine: ♀
  • Casual: Present
  • Polite: Present
  • Keigo: ???
  • Academia: Absent
  • Narrative: Absent
  • Poetry: Present

(My understanding of かしら may be wrong, of course :upside_down_face:)

This undertaking would almost certainly require the help of at least one native speaker. At any rate, such classification would A) help users decide which lessons to prioritize, and B) allow for cramming sessions to be tailored to specific speech registers:

Need to write an essay in Japanese?
Drill all the academic grammar before you get started.

Need to type a Japanese e-mail for work?
You might want to drill all the Keigo you can.

Want to talk to some Japanese friends?
Warm up with some casual speech drills.

9 Likes

I think it would be funny if male learners started accidentally using わ and かしら all over the place. :upside_down_face:

Nice idea though. I think it could be useful.

2 Likes

I LOVE the “Related” grammar section when viewing grammar pages, and the alternate acceptable answers when quizzing, but it would be super cool if in the future, more specific nuances were explained between things. Maybe it’s so insignificant, but one might be /slightly/ more informal, or normally only said in x situations, etc.

Maybe when toggling through alt answers when quizzing, the orange hint text could cycle too, sort of briefly covering that?

4 Likes