Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Hi! I’ve been using Bunpro for a few months now (and love it), but the information hierarchy on the “meaning” tab makes it hard to digest the information without referring to a text book – even when most of the essential information is right there:

• the “nuance” often contains important information that both explains and contextualises the grammar point (not only nuances). But this information is super tiny and positioned at the bottom of the tab after almost everything else…
  • the “structure” box is positioned more prominently than the important information often included in the “nuance”, and also becomes unreadable for grammar points that contain a lot of variations…
  • related grammar points are linked at the very bottom, but the differences between them aren’t explicit, and they’re sometimes confusingly linked. At some point I found myself in an endless loop going through them to find the real nuances (I think it was all the looks like/seems like stuff).

Some ideas:

• maybe the more introductory/contextual “nuances” could be separated from the real nuances, and positioned closer to the “meaning” information
  • a table might be better suited for the “structure” information
  • clearly laid-out differences between related grammar points would be :heart_eyes:
6 Likes

@skymaiden Thank you so much for your kind words and for these awesome suggestions. Both the introductory/contextual notes on each grammar page and the differences between related grammar points are some of the things that we are actively working on improving. We will see what we can do about making the layout more intuitive. Cheers!

3 Likes

@Pushindawood Thank you, looking forward to the improvements! :slight_smile:

Totally unsolicited

Sorry if I’m overstepping – here’s an example of how rearranging things could maybe make it a little bit easier to digest :slight_smile: (this grammar point probably doesn’t even need the structure box, but I left it there anyway)

Current layout:

Rearranged layout:

EDIT: me and Discourse are not friends, I never seem to click the right Reply button :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

As for me, I only read the contextual notes when I’m studying new grammar. And after that the structure is the more important information to me since I tend to mix it up with other grammar points. So I like it that the structure has a prominent place right below the meaning. Especially since I’m on mobile it would be a struggle having to scroll down every time I want to see the structure.

7 Likes

Fair enough! :slight_smile: I read the “nuance” section both when learning new grammar, and during reviews when I’ve got things wrong (mixing up similar points). Maybe because the structure box is often either almost empty or overloaded and hard to read…

I do think the whole layout on mobile also needs some love though!

4 Likes

Are there plans to even out the volume of all the voice lines? Some are really loud.

Edit: I just saw this thread and kind of answers the question

1 Like

Feature request: Could we get an option to select what time a new day starts (for the purpose of study streaks and reviews/day)?

Due to work schedules, I tend to stay up at night and sleep during the day. This has lead to some odd issues where things won’t count as separate days even though I slept in between when I chose to do reviews. Most sites offer this feature, so I already have most everything set to reset at 9am EST, which just makes it harder to remember that this site doesn’t.

It’s not a super important thing to have, but it would be nice.

2 Likes

An example of the problem I mentioned in my previous post:

来週(らいしゅう)までに漢字(かんじ)を30字(じ) おぼえておかなく てはいけない

This is a review for ておく , but requires knowing なくてはいけない, that is not teached at all in the Genki paths.

2 Likes

Can we have the SRS intervals within the hour instead of 30min/15mins, and have 24+ hour intervals be due 1 hour less (23hours instead of 24, 47 hours instead of 48, 6days and 23hours instead of 7days etc…)?

This is how Wanikani does it and it’s much more convenient since you can have a daily scheduled routine and not worry about having your reviews be pushed to the next hour. Also with the 30min timing instead of the hour, it can be annoying to do a review at 9am then waiting until 930am to do the rest.

9 Likes

For now, just use the timezone feature - set it to your timezone, minus one hour for each hour past midnight you want it to reset on. So if you were in Eastern Time (-04:00) and wanted the day to reset at 9am EDT, then do a few reviews (to ensure you don’t lose your daily streak) and then set the timezone to UTC+11:00 (effectively resetting the day at midnight in that timezone, aka 9am EDT).

1 Like

I agree, it always annoyed me that it does it every 30/15 mins instead of every hour.

1 Like

When browsing the grammar in a path, could there be some checkmark for the whole of the chapter if you’ve done all the points in it? Now I have to skim the all the grammar points in a chapter checking if I’ve done all of them instead of just having one look at “Chapter completed” etc.

Is it possible to add a function to cram all wrong grammar immediately after the review without manually selecting them through the cram page?

3 Likes

@Luzychun I like this idea. You probably already know but you can select ‘troubled grammar’ which lets you review grammar you get wrong generally, but yes I agree it would be really good if we could review the stuff we have only just got wrong.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that still doesn’t work. Bunpro only counts grammar points as “troubled” after you got them 6 (?) times or more incorrect. I have many grammar points that I got wrong 5 times (which I would definitely count as troubled), but still my statistics and the cram page says "yeah, you don’t have any troubled grammar). :expressionless:

Ahh I didn’t know that.
@Pushindawood @mrnoone can you please expand on how this feature works? I don’t generally use it but I can see it as being useful to some people in this situation. 6 times does seem slightly excessive though. Is that right?

1 Like

It’s already discussed here:

The threshold was reduced because some users had way too many troubled grammar points. Now it’s the opposite. I guess it’s hard to find the right threshold when some users have hundreds of troubled grammar points and others none.

2 Likes

I was really close to doing this too but then moved to Japan and forgot about it… there really should be a badge for it! Great work

1 Like

If they were going to implement something like this. I think it would be on a ‘trust’ system, because so many grammar points are similar, maybe you didn’t ‘get it wrong’, maybe you just chose something else that was applicable. So you would have to add it to the list yourself, rather than it being automatic.

I think there should be a button for adding grammar points to troubled grammar even if you get it right, that way you can review something even more if you know ‘similar’ grammar points, but not the one in question well enough.

3 Likes

This might have been suggested already, but could the bookmark page be spruced up just a bit? I’m mostly thinking of having the grammar points bookmarked divided by level and then ordered by sublevel, if possible. So, for example, all bookmarked N4 grammar points are group together, and within that grouping they’re ordered by what lesson in N4 they’re taught: L1, L2, L3…

And perhaps a way to un-bookmark a grammar point from the bookmark page could be added, instead of having to visit that grammar point’s page?

4 Likes