Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

It would be interesting to know which grammar points have had new resources added to them since I studied them.

Perhaps having a single page for all the resources for each section (for example a page just for N5 or at least a sub category of N5)

4 Likes

Re-requesting:

Also:

For 聞こえる’s new grammar point, https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/767, I don’t know how to make it any tidier (it’s already pretty cluttered at the moment), but the “Structure” lists adverbial use ( い-Adj. + く, な-Adj. + に, Noun + に) and the “Definition” lists “sounds like” as one of the possible meanings, but nowhere on the page is it mentioned that adverbial 聞こえる is what gives us the “sounds like” meaning.

4 Likes

I have furigana on toggle, and would like to be able to toggle a Kanji, and then start writing without having to touch the writing bar again (it is a bit tricky on mobile)

3 Likes

I’m not too sure how popular the textbooks are but I would be interested in seeing grammar paths for 中級へ行こう and 中級を学ぼう.

2 Likes

Could you somehow simplify the grammar structure for を問わず ?

7 Likes

At the very least, maybe the font size should automatically shrink to limit each /newline to a single line when displayed? :thinking:

5 Likes

I wonder if I’m the only one who would appreciate having a JLPT level tag displayed on individual lessons listed in a textbook path? I switched to the Tae Kim path and would like to choose any N4 lessons before N3 ones…

4 Likes

I feel like I would grasp this a lot better if it were 2 separate grammar points, rather than just one.
Also, the い adjective part is shown as かろう but on the only い adjective example sentence, it is かろうが, so shouldn’t this be shown on the structure page? This is almost certainly my poor understanding of N1 grammar though :joy:

Thoughts?

4 Likes

There’s a general tendency that grammar that translates to “even if” in English when there’s one option is naturally expressed along the lines of “whether A or B” when it’s used to show two contrasting options. The way these are presented could probably be cleaned up a little in general, there are quite a few cases where there are separate entries, and some are more general than others…

I think you are right about が/と because かろう on its own just makes a volitional form of an i-adjective (contracted from く+あろう similar to the situation with だろう and であろう).

4 Likes

I have been using Anki for about 5 years, but I’m quite new to BunPro. I love it and it’s really filling out some gaps in my knowledge.

One thing I’m not a big fan of, is the idea of mastering items. This will happen after the 6 month sentence is answered correctly as I understand it. From Anki I know that sentences that I have not reviewed in over 2 years will still be forgotten and need to be reviewed again, so the idea of mastering an item and never seeing it again doesn’t sit right with me. I have a fear that I will slowly forget these items over time after they are mastered.

I suggest an option to disable mastering and have additional longer SRS intervals after the 12th- Alternatively they could just repeat every so often, like once a year to ensure that they are still remembered.

7 Likes

A very simple solution would be to have a page that displays all mastered/“burned” items, preferably with the ability to sort them either chronologically or by JLPT level. That way, we could easily browse through everything we might want to reintroduce into our SRS reviews.

4 Likes

Just an extension of a comment I made recently. I think having the ability to create our own custom grammar paths would be very useful. That way we can model our learning to compliment our own textbooks that others might not be using.

3 Likes

I totally agree that the last SRS interval of 6 months is ridiculously short. I have items on Anki that are due in 4 years.

One easy way to handle mastered items in Bunpro could just be to let the user chose a fixed interval in the settings (let’s say 300 days) after which all burned items will be shown again. Items will still be SRS 12 and don’t accumulate any XP, but they will simply be shown again after the user defined interval (which can be toggled on/off). Items that are marked as “I know this” will be excluded though.

5 Likes

WaniKani API version 2 api key support. Currently API version 1 will only exist for another 6 months so it would be nice to get v2 support.

7 Likes

I only do reviews once per day (often spaced apart by a few hours) and it’s very frustrating that I can get the same stuff to review even when I’ve already done that this day.
Can we have an option to have smallest SRS interval as 1 day and check if it’s a new day not by 24h interval from the last item but by calendar days?
I am trying to learn 5 items per day (except weekends), but reviews grow very fast and it’s about 130 per day now

3 Likes

In case it might help, here’s some unsolicited advice… :upside_down_face:

• You may want to go into settings and (maybe only temporarily) set “Ghost Reviews” either to “minimal” or “off”
  • I’d recommend picking a cutoff number for reviews each day (maybe ~50-60?) to A) ease your workload, and B) to make your reviews come in more gradually/steadily, instead of in large bursts all at once (which happens when a batch of same-level SRS items all return at the same time)
4 Likes

5 per day is very ambitious. You might want to cut back a bit until reviews settle down. Instead of having a set number you want to learn per day, I would rather try to figure out how many reviews you are comfortable with and only learn new points when below that.

3 Likes

Thanks for suggestions, but let me point to the core of the problem (probably it was not obvious)
I am actually mostly OK with high amount of reviews, but it’s often something like this:
I see I have 100 items to review. I complete the reviews. I take a couple hours break, return back to study 5 new grammar items and see I need 40 more items to review.
I can’t plan my study time well this way. It would be better if I had known from the start that I need to review 140 items for that day. This is even worse when the number of items changes mid-review!

5 Likes

While I love the space shortcut to toggle the English, I would also like a shortcut option to toggle furigana. When it’s there it’s hard to ignore and focus/practice on the kanji, but there are times where I am unfamiliar with the kanji and want the furigana.

1 Like

If you’re on a PC, you can install the Planner userscript that’s linked at the end of the first post there. It’ll let you see upcoming reviews by the hour (although I think it doesn’t include Ghost Reviews because the current API doesn’t see them for some reason).

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re asking for, but you can click individual words to toggle their furigana on/off.

3 Likes