Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

This is a good source to add to readings if interested (に対して、にかかわる、について、を巡る)

6 Likes

I would like to see the information above the underline (things like “casual” or "long form て + いく”)moved to a spot where you can still see them even after you’ve started typing. I often forget what form it is looking for in particular.

7 Likes

I find it cumbersome to select items for review.
It should be as easy viewing the list of all Bunpro grammar and put a check mark next to things I want to review.

It seems like one must enter each grammar item and select add for review which is time consuming. Or alternatively add an entire section like all of JLPT4 or entire chapters of books, which ends up including grammar that might not need review.

Maybe I can’t figure things out here… but if not, it really could be simpler to select items for review. Like you know, selecting emails in gmail with a check mark and clicking delete.

3 Likes

Are you using a book path? If you do for each chapter there is a ‘select for study’ button. Click on it and then you can select the grammar points you want. Maybe this is what you are looking for.

1 Like

I appreciate the reply.

I am familiar with that mode. I’d prefer not to use the book mode as I’ve already completed Genki I/II and use another intermediate book not listed here.

The method you describe is very close to what I’d like to see. At this point you still have to go through chapter by chapter, however.

A central list showing what you’ve selected for a review session would be nice.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

That’s what the “study” mode is for. Select a JLPT level and a number of items in the settings. Then you just need to tap “study” once

1 Like

Would it be possible to set the Lesson Batch Size to a number as low as 2? I know it seems like a small difference between 2 and 3 but I already have a very high review count and I’m trying to pace myself so I am able to concentrate on other things (such as reading) and not just grammar.

6 Likes

I’d like to see a button for what I just studied today.
There’s several requests out there for adding more buttons and gizmos for what’s coming up, and there’s already a button for showing Upcoming Grammar, but after finishing a round of reviews, there’s no button to see what I just studied. This is so that I can review the grammar that I got right… but just barely. (eg. “There was one that I need to study more… Which one was it?”)

Thank you for making an amazing, learner-focused, Japanese site!

3 Likes

Is it difficult to erase what you already typed? That information reappears when you clear the line.

1 Like

@s1212z Thank you for providing the Wasabi link! I have added the link to the Readings of all three grammar points. Cheers!

@athideus Thank you for you feedback. We are working on a way to make this more intuitive. Stay tuned!

@a.very.zero

As @Anthropos888 mentioned, the Study mode may be what you are looking for. To activate it, just click the star on your current book Path to remove it from your Study queue. You will then see “Study” listed to the left of your Reviews in the navbar. Click Study will automatically take you through the grammar points that you have yet to learn. You can tweak the settings to set your JLPT level as well as your batch size. Cheers!

@Matto3 Hi! The reason that we set the minimum batch size to three was that once you take a quiz with only one or two grammar points that you learned, it becomes too easy to pair them up in your mind. This allows you to determine the answer through the process of elimination rather than genuine recall.

Instead of using the Study feature, it might be more beneficial to go to the Lessons page, study one or two grammar points, and then add them to your reviews. Instead of taking a quiz immediately, you can then review the grammar points that you added at a later time to better test your knowledge. This will not only help with recall, but will make the SRS more effective. Cheers!

@FredKore Thank you for your kind words!

Perhaps the Summary page is what you are looking for? This shows all of the grammar points that you reviewed in the last 24 hours. Cheers!

3 Likes

Hmm… That’s kinda what I was looking for, but I guess I was thinking something like the Show Upcoming Grammar button, but for past reviews, as a button next to it. The Summary page shows past grammar but it’s just a list. The Upcoming Grammar shows more information: times correct and next review. I guess it’d be nice to tell which grammar I just studied 2 minutes ago and was it something I just learned or something I should’ve known because I’ve seen it 5 times before.

Again, thanks for an amazing site!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the idea to have the grammar points printable in a flash card format. Such as the ability to print the grammar points that you are the most weak at into 8 or so squares on a piece of paper though that could be done manually, I know.

2 Likes

I suppose the cram function is not good enough for you.

2 Likes

My idea was glancing at it next to my desk periodically.

2 Likes

Has there been a suggestion for reverse quizzes – full Japanese sentence is given and the user has to guess the English translation? I’d suggest just guessing the grammar point of the sentence, but I’m sure some people will want to translate the entire sentence (which I think would open a whole can of worms of language nuance).

It’s a small thing but could the ‘Add to reviews’ button which is included under the Meaning and Reading tab also be added for the Examples tab?

When I learn a new grammar point I always go via Reading > Meaning > Examples as I like to read all the examples at the end to ensure I understand it before adding it as a review.

2 Likes

Can we get a feature to mass select items for burn, archive, etc?

1 Like

Maybe it’s already available and I’m just not seeing it but could you make possible to bookmark sentences and not just whole grammar points? When I’m doing reviews I often come across sentences (not just the grammar point) that would be particularly helpful to use out in the wild. Certainly I could just write them down (which I do from time to time) but being able to then study/cram all your bookmarked sentences would be awesome (I think). Does this make sense? Anyone have any thoughts?

7 Likes

The goal is to learn the grammar point, not to memorize the sentence.

3 Likes

Yes I agree. That’s why I didn’t say that.

2 Likes