Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

If you have great a resource link to share with everyone, feel free to make a recommendation and they will often add it.

1 Like

There should be a little fanfare when you finish adding all the grammar points from one N-level, don’t you think? :musical_note::partying_face:

7 Likes

Custom Paths

I think it would be a nice feature to be able to create your own custom Path.

For example I use the textbook “80/20 Japanese” and it would be valuable for me to create a custom path where I could create sections that match the textbook and then include the grammar points already within Bunpro into those sections.

3 Likes

I’ve long had a minor technical issue. When I log in, the login screen sits there loading indefinitely (some times? most times?). However, if I refresh or open a new tab, I’m taken to the dashboard.

Kindof annoying but :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I feel like a search for まし should return the だけましだ grammar point, but it doesn’t :frowning:

2 Likes

I have had this many many times. It’s a little annoying.

Update:

Searching まし now returns だけましだ, but also returns a lot of other grammar that doesn’t have have まし:

I guess this is fine, but I think it’d be better to have the hits with a 100% match (highlighted in yellow here) prioritized at the top of the list, rather than sorted strictly by JLPT level (making them sort of scattered in this case).

5 Likes

Feature request: hotkey to show furigana

I made a topic about this before I realised this is the place to go. Basically I rely a lot on hotkeys which allows me to have both hands on keyboards to burn through reviews. Every now and then I have to check the furigana for a word which means having to move one hand off towards the mouse to click on a word. I think a hotkey like the “up arrow” would be a great addition, it would not bother the users who use mouse for navigation but provide greater accesibility for users who rely on keyboard.

Feature request: site-wide volume control

I know there are sliders for the audio clips but I would love if there was an option to control the volume for the whole site. My audio levels are seriously messed up, I have 100% on windows but I pulled Chrome to 20% otherwise I would go deaf, on this level YouTube seems okay sometimes I have to mess with the volumes when a specific video gets loud but 20% is still too high for Bunpro. I can’t quite find an inbetween, if I go lower for Bunpro things get quiet on other sites, and the other way around is just too much for the grammar audio. I know this is a very specific request but I spend so much time with headphones on that I am a bit concerned for my hearing it would be great if I could just set a lower volume in my profile settings to control this.

2 Likes

Possibility to revert back / switch between old and new view of all lessons.

I liked to have it separated by tabs of JLPT level and then normal levels. It was more pleasant to fill those levels and also easier to browse instead of the huge wall of lessons we have now.

@garlicdog Thank you for your suggestions! Adding a hotkey to quickly show/hide furigana in Reviews is something that we have considered in the past. Unfortunately, showing/hiding furigana on Bunpro is a bit complicated. Clicking on a particular kanji shows (or hides) the furigana for that kanji site-wide. We chose to implement this feature because it is similar to how Japanese novels/short stories introduce kanji for younger readers. The first instance of a kanji displays the furigana but every instance following (usually just in the same chapter) will not be accompanied by furigana. This not only helps with retention but gives users more control over what kanji they (should) know and which they don’t.

Adding site-wide volume control is something that we can consider adding in the future, however, it is not a priority at the moment. Have you heard of the Chrome extension Volume Master? It might help in more places than just Bunpro. Cheers!

@Big_Paws Hey! Is this what you are looking for? You can access this page by clicking Grammar, Lessons. Cheers!

2 Likes

I feel stupid now, yes, this is exactly that, thanks!

1 Like

(Because feedbacks are always useful, I just wanted to say that given the way I use Bunpro, I find this system to be awesome :slight_smile: In addition to Wanikani, I learn a few other kanji each day, so it is super convenient to hide furigana site-wide by simply clicking on a word.

With that said, it is true that it breaks the flow when I want to check the furigana for a word, because I have to go for the mouse. Not sure it would be very intuitive to add a “show all/show only furiganas not hided previously” switch key, though?)

1 Like

I’d love it if the reviews were tighter. I’m trying to follow the tae kim path, and it’s quite a regular occurrence that the reviews include aspects that haven’t been studied yet.

I very much get the feeling that the different paths are a bit of a bolt-on, and the only coherent route is to follow the bunpro route.

At the moment my workaround is to keep a note of answers for answers that involve points I haven’t studied yet, but it’s a bit demoralising.

1 Like

Add to Cram

I think it would be nice to have an “Add to Cram” button in various areas of the site in order to create a cram session.

For example, when in the results page of a review, you can “Add to Cram” any vocabulary that you missed and want to run through again. You can choose all or select which you want, just like you currently can in the Cram page.

This could also be done on the Bookmarks page, should you want to bookmark grammar that you want to focus on. Also having this in a place where you can see your ghosts, and add those to a cram would be nice.

I think this would be a very helpful feature and helps to create nicely isolated cram sessions and not have to run through a huge amount of grammar in the Cram page to select individually for a cram.

4 Likes

Very simple feature, maybe it already exists, but…

Reviews are my favorite way of studying on Bunpro.

Usually I leave the sentences at “Hint” option, just so I have an idea of what grammar point is expected, but I do my best to understand the sentence first.

If I fail to understand the sentence in Japanese, then I click the “Show” button to translate it.

It would be really helpful if the “Show”, “More”, “Hide”, “Hint” could be switched using a hotkey on the keyboard

@thomasmichaelwallace Thank you for your feedback! We took the existing grammar points on Bunpro, rearranged them to match the order in which they appear in certain textbooks or on the web, and included the page numbers or appropriate links so that you could reference the resource of your choice. Because of this, it is reasonable to get the feeling that the sentences or some grammar explanations found in Paths do not match up as you would expect with your preferred resource. We are constantly updating Paths with new grammar points or removing those that do not fit as well as originally thought. In the future, we would like the content on Paths to more closely resemble the resource that you are using. Cheers!

@MrRyansan Thank you for your suggestion. We think that Cram has a lot of room to grow and adding Bookmarks, individual items that you come across in reviews, as well as ghosts is something that we would like to do. That being said, there are quite a few things on our to-do list that need to be taken care of before we can devote time to Cram (this includes ironing out some existing bugs in custom cram sessions as well as expanding on the Bookmarks feature). Stay tuned. Cheers!

@fabda01

Hey! Just hit the spacebar to cycle through the hints during reviews. Cheers!

5 Likes

Minor frustration…

Does anyone else have difficulty with the darkness of the red Bunpro seal on the list of grammar points? When looking through the list I find myself squinting at the screen to differentiate between those topics with/without the stamp. No issue with the legibility of the gold stamp.

If it’s not just me, perhaps the seal colour could be tweaked ever so slightly lighter to aid legibility?

I know it has been mentioned before in a separate thread - but it has been quite a while so I thought I would just mention it again for visibility sake.

It would be great if we can view the Related grammar points (when expanded) during Reviews. As others have pointed out, people tend to need more information on/pay more attention to the nuances between the different related grammar points during the reviews.

5 Likes

Feature suggestion: Paths > Genki II > Chapter 19, the only honorific verbs covered by Bunpro are なさる, いらっしゃる, お〜になる while Genki Chapter 19 also covers おっしゃる、召し上がる、ご覧になる、くださる。In sum, it would be nice to have a topic honorific verbs since lots of them have a irregular conjugation.

2 Likes

On the stats page using modern theme red squares (about 5 new items?) that indicate new learned items are barely distinguishable from gray squares (no new items) for me. I have a bit of red color-blindness so that’s that
Classic and modern dark themes there look perfectly fine though!

3 Likes