Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I think it is good idea to keep ように祈る and ますように melded together, but rather than putting it a footnote, it should be in the structure section instead.

I do not know if someone did not mention it before, but I miss some global counter for ghost reviews. It would be great if it could be on dashboard, divided by jlpt levels, something like this: Next to JLPT progress graph

Now when I often have about 70 ghosts it is really hard for me to decide whenever to start new points (from my learning method’s point of view having ghosts from last ~ 80grammar points is not problem at all).

Also it would be great if you could add possibility to edit (locally) sentences translations. Sometimes I have dilema of using “oops” button when I miss review by wrong understand of sentence. (I know it is problem with my english (and that majority of japanese N3+ grammar I’ve “learnt” J-J), not with bunpro translations)

Also something minor: During christmas, I’ve forgot report missing badge for aquired 60lvl - could you add it?

4 Likes

Maybe it’s just me (or maybe someone has mentioned it already?), but the past tense in Bunpro drives me crazy. I just had the following sentence:

After discussing it with a friend, we have reached the point that we can decide.

So we ‘have’ reached a point now, but… Bunpro wants me to use past-tense. I don’t see any clou in that sentence why I should need past tense. (I’m not native English tho.)

And it is not just that sentence. A lot of sentences are this way, even if it’s more obvious from the context. (Should I slow down my reviews? Maybe.) For other things there are flags and hints around the word, like ‘casual’ and ‘polite’ and stuff. Is it doable to add those for ‘past’ too? It would help me focus on the actual grammar point instead of った vs る etc.

2 Likes

The summary after a batch quizz or a review contains much more grammar points than the one learned in the batch or reviewed in the review. Could you either include only the last learned or review grammar points in the summary or make them easily distinguishable from the other ones?

Would it be possible to implement a sort of custom Cram set? Being able to save a few grammar points that are similar as a ready made set to study would be nice, instead of having to always choose what to cram for.

Does not bookmarking helps with that?

I mean specifically for an option for cramming, where you have a ready made set to study. If you were to book mark several groups of study items, then how would that make it easier to chose specific grammar points?

1 Like

Good point :hugs:

And on top of that bookmarks don’t seem to work with cram anyway. I am shock to find that out 0_o

1 Like

Yeah, having a few customizable sets would make things easier :smile:

2 Likes

Hey Bunpro, I recently upgraded to a lifetime subscription and really appreciate the site! I have a feature request that I think would be a good for Cram mode: enable option to enter grammar point or the whole sentence.

I think this is similar to a request about a year ago for Bunpro In Reverse, but just to be clear, I attached an example.

Today, the user enters the term and Bunpro checks for a correct grammar point; i.e., ごろ.

With the new Cram feature, the user can enter 家を出るのは何時ごろ? if the whole sentence option is turned on.

The reason why I suggest this for Cram is because I think it’s still desirable for the regular Lesson/Review SRS to quiz users on the grammar point alone. However, entering the whole sentence forces you to both recall and produce the complete sentence as you would in a normal speaking/writing situation. So I think we should surface the option somewhere.

If the new feature needs to be implemented in either all hiragana or all three scripts so that the user-submitted sentence can be checked for correctness, then I think entering the answer in all three scripts is best. Again, this matchs a normal speaking/writing situation.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Just an upvote for a reviews daily limit.

4 Likes

I would greatly appreciate a much more flexible way of sorting and selecting grammar points for cramming. Currently, you can sort and select by:
JLPT-level: 1-5
Studied grammar: Y (but not N)
Studied sentences: Y (but not N)

In my case, this filtering and sorting is simply not sufficient for me to narrow down to an interesting set of grammar points that I might want to cram. In my case, I am looking for grammar points that I have made mistakes on. Any type of outliers. Currently, the stats page says I have made 588 mistakes among 386 grammar points. I know they are non-uniformly distributed among the grammar points, but I have no access to any data to help me find them.
These additional axes of sorting would be very helpful to me personally, but I am sure you can think of others that would also be generally useful:

• Number of incorrect answers per grammar point
  • Days since last answer
  • Days until grammar point next appears
  • Streak level
  • Days since last crammed

I’m sure you get the picture. You have all of the numbers in your databases, so I shouldn’t have to resort to pen & paper to keep track of my mistakes. (And of course I don’t do that because that’s what the software is supposed to do :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I would add, if possible to do with not much effort, an ability to sort them functionally. Being able to look up only adverbs, conjugations, particles and others would be helpful (more reasonable division than that much welcome). Especially when somebody wants to train one function of the language (let say sentence ending particles) and is not bother with JLPT levels that much. I don’t know how many people that would help, except me, so if it more complicated than it looks to me then may be it is not worth it. :hugs:

2 Likes

I’d be awesome if we could see the amount of ghost reviews we would be doing for a day. Currently, it shows “Later Today 9” or “Tomorrow 24”, but I often get way more reviews than just that due to ghost reviews. Could that be shown as well?

4 Likes

Hello! I think it’d be nice to be able to toggle the vacation mode on even in Lite subscription, so you don’t get clogged with reviews in the event of renewing your subscription. Allegedly the smart thing would be to turn it on before your current subscription expires, but someone cough cough might miss that window trying to get the latest review done , and there’s no real profit unless one buys another subscription, right?

4 Likes

Is so annoying that I have to ask: can you take some time and do something about “like” limit? I use it both as form of Aizuchi in PM, and as tool to let people know I read and it is a fair point to me. So now I need to wait 2 min just to give somebody a like for good remark… Maybe separating “PM limit” and “normal limit”? Or no limit at all? That would maybe involved changing flag definitions for some badges but do badges are really that important (those ones almost nobody have so not a big deal i guess)?

I know this small issue probably unique to me but is annoying anyway…

If you have no time for that I will take “no” as polite answer :hugs:

With the current dashboard and Review Forecast graph, I often look at that to gauge when I can do another set of reviews. The problem is that reviews are ready on the half-hour, but the graph is only split by hour. So, I show up at 2pm ready to do 10 reviews but there’s only 4 ready. The other 6 will be ready at 2:30. …aww… :frowning_face:
Can we either make reviews ready on the hour, or make the graph show half-hour increments?

7 Likes

Hi. In order to be able to work on one’s translation ability, it would be great to be able to blur the English translation in the grammar points and to unravel it by hovering over with the mouse or pushing a hotkey. Like the “spoiler” tag in the forum. Thanks for constantly improving the user experience in Bunpro.

1 Like

Don’t know if this has already been suggested, but I would really like to be able to write answers in Kanji. Or at least write the answer in Hiragana and have the option to then show in Kanji. I often feel that I can read and understand a grammar point in Hiragana, but then seeing the Kanji in the meaning tab or example sentences makes me realize I wouldn’t really understand this in a real world context.

I realize this isn’t a Kanji learning tool ( Hi Wanikani), but since the Kanji is already there, programmatically it shouldn’t be difficult to implement and the learning value would be much higher.

5 Likes

I think their rational is that it would make it harder to check if you get the “pronunciation” right for each grammar point with kanji. No way to check if your 方 is
ほうor かた.

And will we allow 無い as ない, or not?

it makes stuff more complicated

3 Likes