Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I’d like to add interest for dialects! I don’t need it for where I live, but I would like to visit places like Osaka as soon as I’m able to, and it’d be neat to know something a bit more than your average やねん.

Other dialects would be great too, but if there were to be any added I think Kansai would definitely need to be prioritised over any other regional variations.

4 Likes

There are some cool guides/books out there but Bunpro integration would be next level. Since Bunpro are the ones doing the research/implementation/example sentences, I can understand how it might be difficult to add.

And yeah – Kobun isn’t really present in modern day literature… But like I mentioned it still comes up in songs sometimes, but probably not enough for them change focus to a kobun path which I totally understand.

2 Likes

I live just outside of Tokyo and I come across people using kansaiben pretty regularly honestly.

Little off topic but 日本語の森 recently put out a video which compares a few differences between a few dialects with some acted out skits and their use cases. (typical of 日本語の森 vids). They mention that kansaiben is one of those dialects that everyone just understands some way or another since it is so common, in contrast to a dialect like hokkaidouben, where someone might question the other speaker if they heard it.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to have a little more control on the audio during reviews? At the least it’d be nice to have an option to slow down the audio like you do in lessons, at the most, it’d be nice to be able to scrub to specific points in the sentence, especially when you just want to hear the grammar points that come at the end of sentences without having to hear the entire sentence over again.

3 Likes

this is a major idea:
i want to use bunpro in “reading/listening comprehension mode”.

right now the “type in the missing part” srs is more crippling than it truly helps in my opinion.
it would be best to be confronted with the full sentence and marked test grammar then just beeing asked “understood YES/NO” perhaps key questions like “is this formal form? is this casual form?” the nuances and differences are things that should be picked up through natural mass exposure and right now with the blank/srs typing system it is just brute force memorizing. not efficient, unnatural and highly frustrating.

it was almost a breaktrough for me when i just stopped after a fail and read ALL the example sentences and listened to them. then the grammar has a chance to naturally sink in with a feeling for it.

i started a workaround by just failing every sentence to get it in its complete form from the beginning - noticing my attention instantly switching to trying to understand the sentence as a whole instead of filling the blank space. bunpros true treasure are the many structured example sentences. the typing form seems to be closer to production than comprehension anyway.

this would be especially good in cram mode. getting quickly confronted with mass sentences.
make this even possible with “audio only” as a true natural “hardmode”.

6 Likes

That would be great! I try to emulate something similar myself, but it is troublesome (a lot of oopsing). It would be great to have proper input mode.

I would only add it would be helpful as well to be able to somehow manage to what lvl of comprehension you want to be tested. I personally go for shallow but wide understanding first since I want to get second stage from reading anyway, and getting to “JLPT standard” is something I want to be worried about when I am “functionally fluent” at reading and read a few books already.

Other thing that would be very nice would be finding a way to do bunpro with no english or grammar terms at all. Translating targeted language to you mother tongue is probably the most harmful thing in long term I believe. I even avoid reading grammar explanations as much as possible to not connect my Japanese with my English or Polish too much. Japanese is meant to be understood in Japanese. Translations and grammar explanations is last resource for me personally. It is admission of failure to me…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Reading people thinking alike is so nice. xD

3 Likes

You can make it even paid thing, I don’t care:

xD

4 Likes

Good to know. I did not pay attention to those scripts. I will have a look, thanks :hugs:

1 Like

Yes! This is something I would find very useful too. Going through the N2 Grammar one, it would be useful if there was a path for it.

3 Likes

Could it be possible to add the time and date of next review of each studied grammar point in its description?
Thanks.

2 Likes

The frustration I have with review feedback, are the ‘Not looking for’ responses.

I can imagine it’s very difficult to hint users about what grammar to use without completely giving it away but very often I find myself having to remember the whole sentence and which grammar point it wanted from the last time I reviewed it.

I think it would be good to have feedback split into three categories:

The answer was…

• …completely wrong (fail)
  • …very close (almost correct, for example using -ru form instead of -masu, feedback given)
  • …correct, but not the answer Bunpro was looking for
7 Likes

This is an interesting Idea

1 Like

As an example, I just had this review and I would have written 全然 which I believe would also be correct but not what Bunpro was looking for so I knew which one to write only because I knew I had studied this grammar point more recently and it was more likely to be the one in question.

Here I have another example:

2 Likes

Bunpro merch idea

21 Likes

I’d buy it!

6 Likes

Btw., ちなみに and ところで are not equivalent. The difference is that ちなみに is used when connecting to a previous statement, while ところで changes the topic to a new one. Maybe a more specific hint would be nice when trying ちなみに on the ところで sentences…

10 Likes

We used to just say “it needs more context!” Which has come a long way.

1 Like

They really need merch, I want to throw money at them! (and get goodies)

5 Likes

Thanks, I keep forgetting that. I actually can’t find a grammar point for ちなみに so I must have imagined it existed as well.

2 Likes

A to-do list progress tracker that consolidates the feature requests showing what is in progress, on hold, already deployed, content updates, bug fixes, etc…whatever the team is currently working on. I think it would just give better communication to the community and prevent repetitious requests here. Kitsun has been using ClickUp and I enjoy reading it but there are probably other task management tools, I think users would enjoy seeing the activity regardless of all requests not being met or some projects taking a while to deploy.

7 Likes