Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

In another thread several people showed interest in the display of threads in the forum in a tree-like structure (like on Reddit). Folding and unfolding branches would also be appreciated. This would help following discussions by linking related messages and also this may allow out-of-topic discussions to develop in their own branch while being ignored by those who are not interested.

2 Likes

Please add Wasabi Grammar Reference as a New Path!! https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-grammar/wasabis-online-japanese-grammar-reference/

2 Likes

This is a hot topic…

Tap for more

Sorry, couldn’t resist this little pun…

1 Like

I suppose this is more related to the forums, but I have been thinking about making a few threads under the Japanese category specific to some textbooks (primarily the 新完全マスター文法 series) for people to ask questions about grammar they’re learning, discuss differences, and just vent some frustrations with the material they’re working on! Going through the book, and stuck on how something works? The difference between this word and another? Frustrated just because you don’t understand it?

My inspiration for doing this comes from going through the 新完全マスター grammar books myself – and primarily because I don’t feel like there is a platform to discuss these books, and due to the fact that they are are pretty difficult to go through imo. I would like to create these threads, make a list of all of the grammar and links to them on Bunpro, and like I mentioned, give people a way to talk about the books specifically. I suppose my end goal also includes further describing grammar in what 新完全マスター offers since the explanations are very vague/difficult to understand, and letting the community help with that.

Now, I don’t know how many people actually have worked through/are working through these books currently, or if this is actually the right place to put this, but I am curious to hear what some of you think about me doing this. Thanks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Being able to block users who add no value to the discussion, and derail every topic into pointless arguments would be an extremely helpful feature.

4 Likes

It may be useful to be able to cram grammar points with only chosen streak level(s).

2 Likes

It’d be neat if there were also a filter for ‘hide gilded grammar’ in the ‘All grammar’ section in addition to the ‘Hide studied grammar’ filter:

50% of my ghosts are the past tense coming back to haunt me. I wish I could say it was ambivalent sentences but it’s not. It’s always my fault trying to answer too quickly. I just get so wrapped up in getting the grammar point right that I miss the tense and hit enter. :confounded:

2 Likes

Hard to say if this isn’t a feature or a bug.

How possible would it be to turn on the wiki feature here? I would like to add some “tools” reference topics (e.g. tools for referencing/learning pitch accent) for everyone to use, but a discussion thread doesn’t work so well for this…

@Jake

I’d love it if the website would remember for which kanji I toggle furigana off or on.

My main pain point here is that
a) if I see furigana everywhere, I don’t even try to read the kanji, I just read the furigana - so I turn them off in general, but
b) having to click on verb kanji during reviews to be able to spell them is annoying, especially because it takes the input focus from the input box.

But even apart from that, I think it would be nice if users could just teach Bunpro which vocab-kanji they already know as it comes up.

2 Likes

Just in case you’re not aware… if you link Bunpo to wanikani, then it will hide Furugana only for the items you have learned (“burned”) over there… and you can still tap to unhide if you wish…

I actually started a WK account just for this feature… I already know a lot of Kanji and words, but it’s easy to run through them so they sync over to Bunpro…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I am aware, but I’m learning my vocab with kanji with Memrise and Anki.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have run Anki for a variety of 日本語 for over 7 years — I just threw in WK for the furigana here and a bit of extra review. I had bought a lifetime WK years ago when it was cheap, so the cost to do this for me is zero basically.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Adding more ways to organise the grammar points in the view all grammar list.
E.g.

• by use-case
  • by frequency, you could even allow people to import their own frequency lists so people can prioritise grammar that is more common in specific domains like novels or anime

The ability to import known word lists or to mark words as known or unknown in Bunpro and for Bunpro to prioritise giving sentences with less unknown words and less unknown grammar points first when it gives sentences to review a grammar point so that people can focus on reviewing the grammar points more easily.

An optional multiple-choice mode in Bunpro where several similar grammar points are shown and people choose the best one rather than typing for people who would prefer that, particularly for similar grammar points.

Creating a new type of mode that specifically drills very similar grammar points to help people iron out their confusion outside of normal reviews. I think this is one of the most painful parts of using Bunpro so anything that can be done to make it smoother would be great.

This is maybe not really about grammar but the Bunpro system/interface would also be great for drilling things like which verbs are used in which situations for example when to use kakeru, toru, tsukau etc.

6 Likes

This could bypass a lot of those ‘not the point we’re looking for’ scenarios. I’d imagine that would take quite a seismic change in the way bunpro works though. I have an app on my phone that does this, I can’t actually find the app on the internet anymore however!

2 Likes

Wanted to bump this on the particle request side- I think it’d be really good for some example sentences to require particles and not just include them as a given. I’ve found that thanks to Bunpro I’ve been getting quite good at recalling reviewed English > Japanese grammar phrases, but can never remeber what particles they’re actually supposed to go with in class :sweat_smile:

It should be noted- I am aware of and do use the self study section for this, but it has it’s limitations (no way to set prompts if your answer is slightly off etc). Even an ignore button for example sentences so I can re-write them to require the particles would work as an alternative, but if possible I do prefer using the example sentences on the whole!

3 Likes

I think it would be nice to be able to mark things as “Yes I knew this, but it was really hard, and I feel like it might’ve been a fluke and I want to try this again sooner” like in Anki.

With the ranks it obviously can’t work like in Anki, but maybe with similar effect. Maybe it could not advance it and schedule it again for the same amount of time? Or even knock it down a rank?

1 Like

A do this sometimes by just intentionally putting the wrong answer to let the sentence ghost. Achieves a similar effect. Its an inelegant solution and I agree that it would be nice to have a way to manually do this kinda thing.

3 Likes

A keyboard shortcut to toggle the readings of the Kanji on/off would be great instead of having to click individually on the words.

2 Likes