Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

It’s very logical, yes. I kinda feel dumb that I didn’t notice it before. But, the thing is that, while logical, it still can get hidden behind confidence and/or laziness. Logout and see the landing page of Bunpro. They don’t mention textbooks or pathing or anything else. Yes, when you actually log-in for the first time, you get directed to the Help and FAQ pages, and that might alleviate some misunderstandings, but I don’t think it suffices. They only market themselves as a tool that uses third-party material as references. They can (and in my opinion they actually should) also market themselves as an auxiliary tool for “textbook” japanese language learners. They don’t compete with Tae Kim or Genki, so unless someone thinks it’s actually worse to use bunpro besides a textbook when starting, there’s almost no damage in recommending new users to try this more complete approach.

I can’t say it is common practice, but all of us came here from Wanikani through a public referral that went something like: “Bunpro teaches grammar through SRS”. Since Wanikani was really spot on, we came running, hahaha!

They don’t need to give specific recommendations at all (the paths already do that anyway). They should just advise that while useful as a standalone learning tool, Bunpro is at its strongest when paired with a more didactical resource. They shouldn’t wait for the users to realize this.

2 Likes

That vintage iphone says how old that landing page is, lol. Totally agree, they need to mention book paths in that area. It’s in their interest to make the starting experience minimally frustrating as possible to sustain subscribers since not everyone reads the FAQs or About before testing out.

2 Likes

If you see a Grammar Point that doesn’t have a reference then stick it on the discussion thread. I’m sure they will see it and link it up at some point. I’ve done that before now with a number of resources that were missing.

1 Like

I beg your pardon??

Untitled

Hi Phronaeus! I only just saw this, sorry for the late reply! While I cannot answer about the grammar points themselves, my partner and I do the recording of the sentences. We are planning to have all of them done by mid August at the absolutel latest, but hopefully sooner!

1 Like

Any possibility of potentially adding a discussion page for either each reading lesson or just one for each JLPT level? There’s a couple sentences that trip me up a little bit still and discussion would probably be good

2 Likes

I wish I could change the voice in the examples to male, seeing as how I am male and wish to not sound feminine.

1 Like

The grammar points have clear explanations whether the grammar sounds masculine or feminine. You shouldn’t have trouble with that.

2 Likes

Please add hide all furigana function.

For some reason, the furigana keeps on coming back whenever I study/review.

1 Like

What’s your settings look like? If you click your name in the top right of the main page > settings > general and scroll to Content Display there should be a section there for furigana. If it’s set to anything but Off, change it but if it has always been like that maybe just turn it on and off again to see if there’s a bug somewhere?

2 Likes

A couple more UI suggestions:

Pretty minor cosmetic thing but could we get an option to put the review forecast in 24 hour format? Maybe also a thick lighter line to mark the separation of days?

Second, that’s a bit more complicated, could we get a feature similar to Hide English but for the Japanese sentences? This would only apply to the example sentences on the grammar points.

Right now I try and play the audio without accidentally reading the sentences so I can test my listening comprehension and see if I can repeat it back properly to practice speaking. However, since the play button is kinda small I always accidentally see or end up reading the sentences when ever I go to hit it. So having this options would make my study style just a bit more smooth though I’m not sure how widely such a feature might be used.

It might also be nice to have a Show/Hide All Japanese toggle at the top of the sentence page just in case you just want to read through real quick.

3 Likes

I like to try to say the sentences though…
It’s a great opportunity for shadowing.

1 Like

Also, does anyone have a good way to convert all these flashcards to alternative Kansaiben easily and quickly? If there’s a bunpro Anki deck out there I could modify them all, but seems tedious…

1 Like

Slight suggestion - currently when you get a point right you can hit the A button to get alternate ways of answering. This doesn’t work when you get the answer wrong, is there any desire to have it switched? There’s been a couple points lately where the most casual/“real” way of answering would be an alternate and sometimes I’d like to see that even if I get it wrong.

4 Likes

Maybe another button for “I give up — show me all the answers”

2 Likes

Maybe add some #anchor to these links in order to scroll the settings page to JLPT Study Level automatically? Now this setting is far down the page.

1 Like

Two relatively minor things:

The example sentence どこまでく has a really awkward English translation that I had a hard time understanding at first: “Until where will you go?”

I think something like “How far will you go? (Until)” would be a more natural translation here.

Secondly, I like that some of the sentences have blue links that you can click on to open, but when I’m in a quiz, if I click on it, it takes me away from where I was. It would be better if those opened up in a new tab by default.

2 Likes

I would also really like an “I don’t know” button.

3 Likes

Option to “start new day at X o’clock” for the streak count. (I guess I could switch to a different time zone, but that might get confusing lol.)

3 Likes