Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I can’t seem to find a grammar topic は as a contrast marker. Is this missing?

I’d love it we were told if particular verbs were godan or ichidan when doing reviews, in the same way we’re told if something is [casual] or [polite] at the top of the screen. There have been so many times where I’ve gotten an answer wrong because I conjugated it as a godan instead of an ichidan, or vice versa. I appreciate that this is how some people learn if a verb is goddan or ichidan, but for me it just slows down the reviewing of the actual grammar point itself.

It’d be cool if perhaps you could toggle this information? In the same way you can toggle ‘always show nuance’ in the settings, if you could toggle ‘always show if godan or ichidan’, that would make things so much easier. Then users can decide themselves if they want to use it. It’s just such a nuisance getting everything spelled correctly in a review and understanding the review point, only for you to have to re-type because of something so tedious. I’d probably end up learning to differentiate the godan/ichidan faster if it just told me which one it is at the top of the screen. Thanks!

2 Likes
It is mentioned in the original topic for は

1 Like

It would be nice if there would be an option to toggle the English translations in example sentences included in in the grammar explanations the way you can with normal example sentences. Even if I try to, it is difficult not to read the translations first.

I would like to see a mode that’s more in line with some of the JLPT formatting. That would make for amazing practice for the exams!

I don’t expect the reading questions! But the starred ones for certain and some of the basic “What particle goes here?” from the choices, without an option to go back and correct. This obviously would be it’s own type of mode though because it would need to be multiple choice

3 Likes

I know this is pretty specific, but has there been any consideration to moving ため / ために from N3 to early N4? A few reasons:

1. It’s an extremely common grammar point that I hear all the time
  2. Lots of existing N4 Bunpro example sentences use it already
  3. It shows up in a lot of N4 test prep materials, and I can confirm it’s on the actual N4
3 Likes

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but when learning vocabulary, it’d be nice to have more parts of speech included, specifically: transitive, intransitive.

I understand that the main focus is on grammar and features relating to that, but this is just my thought.

Unless I’m just not seeing that information.

If possible, I think it’d be nice if recently missed grammar could be added as an option for cram.

Also, while I’m at it. I sent feedback about として some time ago but it was never responded to. I came across the sentence 医師がいないとして受診はできなかったということです a while back and never could figure out what として meant in this context. I pretty much had to scour everywhere - and even after being explained the meaning, it took me some searching to find a formal definition for it. Is it possible that this meaning could be touched on somewhere? - 活用語の終止形を受けて》…という理由で。…という名目で。(from 明鏡国語辞典). I’ve actually come across it being used this way a couple times now - I’m not saying it should get it’s own point or anything but I think it’d be helpful for others to have a brief mention of this meaning since there’s no English explanation of it being used this way (that I could find at least).

It would be helpful to have some sort of listening practice specifically for numbers. E.g., a sound clip with a number plays and the user has to input that number. Even in terms of voice clips, it might not require that many resources.
Being able to parse numbers in spoken words is useful skill/reflex to have in testing scenarios, in casual speech, when watching TV (especially news), etc.

Something I think that would be tremendously helpful is a place to just practice conjugations. I know you can do it in a review, but having the ability to filter and practice conjugations we are struggling with would be amazing.

1 Like

A feature that would be cool to see is having the ability to tap on any individual kanji (even if multiple make up a singular word) and seeing it’s onyomi/kunyomi pronounciation along with all the possible meanings it has.

Also a dedicated place to practice conjugations would be very helpful.

Feature suggestion: when being quizzed on grammar you just studied, can we be quizzed on all forms of the grammar?

For example, if you’re studying て-form, can we be quizzed on an い-adjective, な-adjectives, nouns, する, and 来る?

3 Likes

I think the Kansai Dialect deck could use a little love. The vocabulary is lacking example sentences and more grammar points could easily be added.

1 Like

Adding first class support for grammar recognition for those that prefer this method over cloze production sentences. That is, I would like the front of the card to show me the sample sentence in Japanese with the grammar part highlighted, and the back of the card is the meaning of the grammar point and the overarching sentence in English.

Whether production is more effective over recognition is a moot point as some of us would prefer less cognitive load per card and more repetition of recognition.

a suggestion for future updates: on the website, it is possible to study grammar and vocabulary separately, but in the app the revisions are only together. my suggestion is that in the application there is also the possibility of studying both together or separately :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve definitely suggested it before (and I also realize it’s a big ask) but I wish there was an alternative to the current ghost system. I’ve found myself recently just memorizing the answers based on the sentence rather than remembering how to use the grammar - I would love if a ghost would add multiple different sentences instead.

1 Like

@lucasfraga95
Hey Lucas, this feature will be released with the new version of the app :slight_smile:
Cheers!

1 Like

I second the first president. I think his idea is really good

1 Like

New decks for anime language and 古文, and finishing write-ups for the 関西弁 deck! I want to see more done with the decks, that’s by far my most anticipated addition

Would be awesome if you could add a cram feature or finished deck so that it is possible to drill predefined grammar points that are similar to each other, without having to browse through all grammar points. (I’m basically asking for a feature to not have to do it myself…sorry)

Another option would be the possibility to share cram decks with each other and let the community organize different options.

I’m lazy, sorry again.

2 Likes